I just wanted to try and get GB&C's opinion on GFS's quality.

My Dad's birthday is in November and ever since I picked up the guitar years ago he's always been saying he'd love to play if he had the time. Well, he'll be retiring here soon and will have that time and I'd love to give him a guitar as a birthday present. He's always supported me, went to every football game, etc. and was the guy I based my idea of what a man should be on, so I wanted to kinda pay him back.

He loves the Blues, especially Stevie Ray Vaughan so I wanted to build him a Strat out of parts I saw on GFS. To be clear, I'm not talking about a Strat kit, those looked kind of weak, quality wise, but I'm talking about the $50 body, $50 neck, etc.

What is your guys' opinion on GFS quality? I don't think he needs Gibson Custom Shop quality tone wood, it is only his first guitar, but I would like something that could faithfully reproduce the electric blues he likes.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

not much of an idea about quality other than what people on this site say. Either way I think you should do this because you'll be giving him a hand picked/ made gift as well as (in the very least) a decent guitar
I praise the necks from them. For 30$ its amazing, still would be at 80$. You may want to thin it out a bit. No clue on the bodies, but they cant be horrible. I also suggest you to try to lipstick tube pickups, they are awesome for the blues tone, plus stevie used the same style!
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Both the lipsticks and the Texas '59 Pro Series are great for a bluesy tone that has some ballsiness to it. As necks and bodies go, they are really good for the price. Not necessarily Warmoth or Mighty Mite quality, but two hundred times better for the price. Their hardware is generally good. That said, stay away from gold hardware, and their pots. The gold hardware is cheaply coated, so bad in fact, that you can wipe the color right off. The pots are smooth, but have to much resistance (not ohms, but when you turn, it feels as though you are turning an ungreased door knob. Not a perfect description, but it's late, and I'm tired.) Just buy pots and, if you're going to, gold hardware at a local music store. It really is a shame that they don't have Strat pickguards in stock any more.
I'm building a gfs strat with a mahogany body when the parts come in this week.

but I forgot to order the neck plate, and will be recycling an Ibanez branded one temporarily.

moral of the story remember to order everything
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
So I had this in mind:
Vintage Sunburst Strat Style Body: $50
Amber Gloss Strat Neck Rosewood Fingerboard: $43
Gold Tuners*: $45
Strat Texas Set: $48
Gold Bridge*: $16
White Strat Knobs: $5
White Strat Pickguard: $13
5 way switch plus white tip: $11
Jack plus Gold Plate*: $7
Neck Bolt: $9
Strap Buttons: $5
How many pots do I need?
For an incomplete total of $252

Have I forgotten anything?
*= not from GFS

(Invalid img)

What do you all think?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 9, 2011,
you should totally put a black/w/black pickguard on it. It would be perfect
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by VanTheKraut

My Dad's birthday is in November and ever since I picked up the guitar years ago he's always been saying he'd love to play if he had the time. Well, he'll be retiring here soon and will have that time and I'd love to give him a guitar as a birthday present. He's always supported me, went to every football game, etc. and was the guy I based my idea of what a man should be on, so I wanted to kinda pay him back.

Awesome!!! With such motivation, we're confident it'll turn out very well.

Mighty Mite or AllParts have very good parts (body and neck) or you can go a bit higher-end with Musikraft or USACG and only because I have no experience with that GFS body and neck. As far as the other GFS parts, the PUs and electronics are OK. I'd go with a nicer bridge, a Fender at least, with the hefty trem block, although the GFS bridge should be fine. I'd source out Kluson tuners, you could get them cheap from eBay if you're patient. Some here have had excellent experiences with GFS' various tuners and some didn't like them.

Good Luck!

Well thanks guys, I'll definitely update this with pics and all that once everythings arrived and built. Should be a pretty decent guitar for ~$300.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Please don't put a white pickguard/accessories on a that body; you need black to accent the black around the edges.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.