Alright. So, I'm lookin' for a good amp that'd suit me for them Reign In Blood, Kill 'Em All, Evil Invaders, etc, etc. type tones. I know that Reign In Blood was recorded with a modded JCM800 and Kill 'Em All with a modded Plexi (I believe) so I got two amps I'm looking at. NOTICE: BEFORE YOU READ THE REST, READ THIS. IF YOU ARE ONLY GOING TO ANSWER THIS THREAD TO HATE ON BUGERA AMPLIFIERS, DON'T BOTHER USING YOUR TIME TO DO SO. I'm looking at:
1) Bugera 1960
2) Peavey Windsor Head

I CAN NOT try out any of these amps as no shops up round here carry 'em. The 1960 is modeled after a Plexi to the best of my knowledge, and the Windsor modeled after a one-channel JCM800. I'm not a super high gain person, I'm not into scooped mids really. I just like a nice crunch.

I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, BUT the thing SMOKES. I put in a set of DiMarzio D Activator-X Pickups which are crazy hot and I also installed a Duncan Blackout Preamp which just sets those things on fire. For example, with my George Lynch Serpent-600 guitar through the clean channel of my 5150, it starts to break up with the pre-gain at about 4 or 5 and the post-gain on maybe 2. With the Les Paul it breaks up on 1.5 for the pre-gain and only 1.5 to 2 on the post. Therefore, I get quite a bit of gain pretty easily.

I like the Plexi cuz I'm thinkin' that if I crank the thing to about three I'll be in that crunch territory plus it can double as an amp that I'll use for clean tones (because, as we all know, 5150's don't really have the best cleans). But I like the Windsor cuz it's that JCM800 kind of deal. Only thing is, I don't like the one channel set up.

Can anybody help me out here?

Thanks,
~CP
Nope. Plexis stay clean for a while up the volume knob and they're louder than balls.

I'm fairly certain the modded Plexi used for KTA would have had a master volume, gain boosts, etc., such to the point that you could get an 800, throw a Tubescreamer in front of it and get a similar early Metallica tone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Nope. Plexis stay clean for a while up the volume knob and they're louder than balls.

I'm fairly certain the modded Plexi used for KTA would have had a master volume, gain boosts, etc., such to the point that you could get an 800, throw a Tubescreamer in front of it and get a similar early Metallica tone.

Cool, man. I'll probably get both down the road somewhere, but it's gonna be far between. So, get the Windsor and throw a TS9 or somethin' in front of 'er? For your input?
The Windsor, by far. It's an awesome amp for the price. And it has a lot of mod potential.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The Windsor, by far. It's an awesome amp for the price. And it has a lot of mod potential.

So far . . .

Windsor: 2
1960: 0
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
Also, yes, go for the Windsor. I have heard many bad things about the 1960, and that's entirely separate and apart from them being a Bugera product.

You can also mod a Windsor to exact Plexi or JCM 800 specs very easily.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
He won't be able to use the windsor as a clean amp though will he? I've never tried one, but everything I've read says they have zero clean headroom.

I've been looking and drooling over both of these amps for a good year or so (to use as lower-wattage, high dirt bass amps), but have still not had a chance to try either out.
^ He wouldn't be able to use a Plexi as a dirty amp without an attenuator either.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
^ He wouldn't be able to use a Plexi as a dirty amp without an attenuator either.

Legit, but that was already pointed out in this thread, I didn't think the bit about the windsor had been mentioned.

TS, you're just going to have to pick them both up used and use them each as a different channel.

The Windsors are around 200 used and sometimes less. The 1960s are going for $350 new now, so you can probably hunt down a used one for a decent chunk less if you try hard enough.

More gear is always the answer.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
He won't be able to use the windsor as a clean amp though will he? I've never tried one, but everything I've read says they have zero clean headroom.

Not true. Too many people just don't know how to EQ. The Windsor head has 100W, preamp gain and master volume knobs. It should be a walk in the park to get a good clean sound.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Raijouta
Also, yes, go for the Windsor. I have heard many bad things about the 1960, and that's entirely separate and apart from them being a Bugera product.

You can also mod a Windsor to exact Plexi or JCM 800 specs very easily.

I've owned a 333XL head from Bugera in the past and I liked it very much. Only problem I had was the power tubes going bad. So, I'm kind of on good terms with their products currently. But now:

Windsor: 3
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Out of those two the Windsor. No contest.

Windsor: 4
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
Quote by dullsilver_mike

I've been looking and drooling over both of these amps for a good year or so (to use as lower-wattage, high dirt bass amps), but have still not had a chance to try either out.

Me too, man. Been lookin' over the two for at least a year or two now and still can't decide. I've seen some YouTube videos where people got a decent clean outta the Windsor. Nothing super amazing like what you'd get out of some Marshalls, Fender, etc. of course.
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
Quote by Raijouta

How much would a nice attenuator cost? And please correct me if I'm wrong, but an attenuator makes it so you can get high volume tone out of your amp at a reasonable volume level, right?
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Legit, but that was already pointed out in this thread, I didn't think the bit about the windsor had been mentioned.

TS, you're just going to have to pick them both up used and use them each as a different channel.

The Windsors are around 200 used and sometimes less. The 1960s are going for $350 new now, so you can probably hunt down a used one for a decent chunk less if you try hard enough.

More gear is always the answer.

You get it, man! More gear is ALWAYS the answer! But yeah, I'm finding Windsor's for about $200 used all over the internet, and the 1960 for $300 to $350. I'm just gonna pick 'em both up when I can.
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
I think the Bugera 1990 nails those tones. Not the 1960. The Windsor is also a great amp. If you can find the Windsor for $200 used grab one. That's not much of an investment and if you don't like it you could easily get your money back out of it.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Death-Speak
I think the Bugera 1990 nails those tones. Not the 1960. The Windsor is also a great amp. If you can find the Windsor for $200 used grab one. That's not much of an investment and if you don't like it you could easily get your money back out of it.

Alright, man. That sounds like a good plan.
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001