Hey all, I'm not sure if this is the right place on the forum or not. Hopefully it is.

Anyway, as the title says - I think I want to start teaching guitar for beginners. Basically, just kids or anyone who might be interested in playing guitar.

-I can teach them chords, the notes and scales and whatever songs. After they're good enough I'd refer them to a proper teacher. This is all to just make some money on the side because I don't have a job at the moment.

I don't know everything. I know the basic skills (I think/hope). I'd probably be classified as an intermediate player. But I'm just wondering if that'd be enough to be able to let a kid see whether or not they wanna sit down and learn guitar or not. Type deal. And pay me for it.

So my question is pretty much. Could I pull off giving guitar lessons to beginners. Just until they figure out whether or not they really wanna learn stuff properly?

I don't usually start threads because as you see I'm shitty at making them, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out.
You should be able of giving them an example of what they can achieve, teach all the basic techniques and explain some vital things.
teach them open chords, power chords, and the pentatonic scale, that should give them enough to decided whether they like it or not. teach them a few songs aswell like enter sandman or some green day stuff. something they would like but thats easy.
if your plan is to introduce them to a proper teacher, you should also cover the basics of reading music. because the truth is that, if you want to teach the guitarists who will go on to be professionals (and, obviously, not all of them will, but it's foolish to assume none of them will), you'll need to get them started on reading music, because they WILL need to know that, unless they're going to try to hit it big with a band.

remember, you're getting paid to start them off on the right path.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Yeah. I'll tell them straight. "I can teach you chords and scales, or we can do a bit of that and some stuff out of a book"

I'm happy to go through a guitar book with them. What would be some things I should definitely teach them about and make sure I explain properly and junk?
Quote by Just2Rusty
Yeah. I'll tell them straight. "I can teach you chords and scales, or we can do a bit of that and some stuff out of a book"

I'm happy to go through a guitar book with them. What would be some things I should definitely teach them about and make sure I explain properly and junk?

go through the instrument, string by string. have them learn the notes and play some simple single-note pieces. once they have a basic grasp of that (likely a couple of months in if you'll be teaching them once a week), start teaching them basic things like open/power chords. they don't need to be forced into playing scales and rock songs quite yet.

approach it as you would approach teaching the piano. there are no such things as fixed patterns on the piano -- you need to know what you're doing, and it takes time to develop that understanding. like you said, if you're going to refer them to a "proper" teacher, focus on developing the basics.

if you teach them the pentatonic scale and such as xevious suggested, they'll have to relearn the basics from another instructor, and that will prove extremely frustrating. worst case scenario, it'll ruin the instrument for them for life. i've seen it happen.
Okay. So what you're saying is, I should introduce them to the guitar, explain what it is, the frets, strings, all that stuff.

Then I should go through a guitar book with them. Allowing them to get to know the notes and everything in the book?
Quote by Just2Rusty
Okay. So what you're saying is, I should introduce them to the guitar, explain what it is, the frets, strings, all that stuff.

Then I should go through a guitar book with them. Allowing them to get to know the notes and everything in the book?

yep. once they have that, give them some simple sheet music to read and work on. then give them whatever you feel is necessary -- teach them the pentatonic scale, chords, etc.

i think you can start doing that once they know all the natural notes (e.g. no F# or Bb) in the first position. so from the low E going up to the G on the third fret of the high E string.
Cool.

My parents have already referred their friends kids to me, who are happy for me to teach them. I guess I've just been reluctant as I'm not the best player ever myself.

So basically, set up 30 minute lessons once a week with these kids in a room in my place. Set up a music stand for a book. Introduce them to guitar, check out if they already know anything. Then go through a book with them. Yeah?

It's not impossible for me to do or anything? - I should highly recommend they get the same book so they can practice at home?
Quote by Just2Rusty
Cool.

My parents have already referred their friends kids to me, who are happy for me to teach them. I guess I've just been reluctant as I'm not the best player ever myself.

So basically, set up 30 minute lessons once a week with these kids in a room in my place. Set up a music stand for a book. Introduce them to guitar, check out if they already know anything. Then go through a book with them. Yeah?

It's not impossible for me to do or anything? - I should highly recommend they get the same book so they can practice at home?

sounds pretty good to me. it'd be nice if you got a cheap book, too -- i recommend either hal leonard or mel bay (the first book in the series for both, naturally); they're both under $10. i'm sure there are others, but those are the two i'm used to teaching out of.
I actually have the entire Hal Leonard guitar book series so that's really awesome. I feel semi-confident about this now, and pretty excited. I'll try to do a good job teaching, too.

Thanks for your help