simple question for my fellow UGers.

if i were to take a "light" set of martin acoustic strings,and i tunes it to NST (CGDAEG), would it be playable?

the string set is .012, .016, .025, .032, .042, .054.
new standard is CGDAEG, so i would use them in this order:
C .054
G .042
D .032
A .016
E .012

as you can see, i would only have 5 strings (i dont have a string thin enough for the high G of NST), aaaand i would be skipping the normal G (the 3rd string) of the string set.

1. would it be worth it to try out this new tuning, at the cost of wasting (if i dont like it) a new set of strings?
2. would the low E and A strings (tuned to C and G) have too much slack in them?
3. if i were desperate for the high G string, i could just put on an electric high E, and it would probably work. (obviously it wouldnt be the best tone, but this is all for just trying out the NST because ive been dying to try it.)
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Nope, you need a whole new set for NST, if you plan to keep it in that tuning for a while. Its so different, in terms of intervals between strings, that you need a much more different set than usual. It might work, but the tension between strings would be a bit too mismatched.

You need to treat it like an extended range mandolin, or anything else with 5ths between the strings, and as such, choose string gauges with a bigger difference in size between adjacent strings.

My suggestion would be:

C=0.58
G=0.47
D=0.32
A=0.22
E=0.13
G=0.10 or 0.09
Quote by Stud_Muffin
Nope, you need a whole new set for NST, if you plan to keep it in that tuning for a while. Its so different, in terms of intervals between strings, that you need a much more different set than usual. It might work, but the tension between strings would be a bit too mismatched.

You need to treat it like an extended range mandolin, or anything else with 5ths between the strings, and as such, choose string gauges with a bigger difference in size between adjacent strings.

My suggestion would be:

C=0.58
G=0.47
D=0.32
A=0.22
E=0.13
G=0.10 or 0.09

I totally agree with you, if I wanted NST permanent I would need a totally different string set.

But what I'm asking is, if I wanted to try it out for like a week until I had the money for a new set, would what I posted work?
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Sorry for double post.

But i just put the new set on my acoustic and decided not to attept the NST.
I went for a middle ground though
Highest 4 strings are standard, but the low E is tuned to C, and the A is tuned to G.
It's CGDGBE, supposedly it's called "hawaiian slack key tuning".
I just call it new standard mixed with old standard haha.

It's a wonderful tuning for acoustic (this isn't the first time I've used it) because you can get huge, full voiced chords, but still soloing in standard on the top 4 strings.

EDIT: aaan if you play the chord in tab, it is the same as if you strummed NST completely open. Pretty awesome chord if you ask me.
E----3
B----5
D----2
G----0
D----0
C----0
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Aug 9, 2011,