Page 1 of 2
Let's get the ball rollin'! What's everyone currently reading?
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Nightmare Inspector....which actually isn't comics
I think the last thing I've read was Watchmen (loved it)
Just started reading Scalped tonight, really digging it so far. Been bouncing back forth from old issues of Hellboy and whatever new is on the shelves at the moment.
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Last edited by Brandon860 at Aug 8, 2011,
The new teen titans. It's so damn old I can't find anywhere where I can get all the issues in a set or something though

Oh, and also the God Of War comic series.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I don't really read that many comics, I wish there was an ultra-geeky comic shop where I lived, but I've actually never seen one anywhere in England.

I prefer Marvel really, mostly Spiderman and Deadpool but I hope to expand my comic horizons at some point in the future.
Quote by Brandon860
Let's get the ball rollin'! What's everyone currently reading?

Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Quote by Metasponge
I don't really read that many comics, I wish there was an ultra-geeky comic shop where I lived, but I've actually never seen one anywhere in England.

I prefer Marvel really, mostly Spiderman and Deadpool but I hope to expand my comic horizons at some point in the future.

There is a big one where I live in the centre of Manchester, if any Manchester people didn't know.
I'm not really a comic book fan, about comic book series I only have read some of the best of Batman(Year One, Arkham Asylum, Long Halloween, The Dark Knight Returns, etc), and almost all Sandman by Neil Gaiman, and I love both.

about individual work the only ones I have read are Watchmen and Maus.

and that's pretty much all the contact between comic books and me.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Sort of on topic, but I screamed like a little girl when I first went into the Marvel part of Islands of Adventure in Orlando.

That place is so AWESOME. I've made it my mission to buy comics whenever we go there, since there's a big comic shop with loads of epic memorabilia and stuff.
I'm a comic fan. However, I'm rare as I don't really have any favorite characters. The closest I get to that is The Flash, but my lack of blind faith shows through when I say I haven't bought his book in roughly 3 years. Same with The X-Men, but it was always their analogy to Civil Rights and what not that got me. They haven't really focused on that in years. I also don't care about continuity. I don't care where a story fits into a great scheme of things, as long as it's good.

For me, I follow creators. My favorites are Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman (The usual suspects), Scott Snyder (doing amazing things in the Batman comics these days and his own American Vampire), Brian K. Vaughan, and Bryan Q. Miller (Who is making me read and enjoy Batgirl...).

Right now I'm reading Detective Comics, Batgirl and Grant Morrison's Batman Incorporated on a monthly basis, as I'm on a limited budget. But I'm currently working my way through Alan Moore's Saga of Swamp Thing, which is fantastic and I just finished Y: The Last Man, which is probably favorite comic series of all time.
Quote by Metasponge

Do you live in London, I know a few
Quote by guio/billie-joe
There is a big one where I live in the centre of Manchester, if any Manchester people didn't know.

Forbidden planet. On oldham street, pretty near afflecks
I don't read comics so I'll leave your thread in peace, I just thought I'd provide that guy before with somewhere to find some
Been reading 100 Bullets. Just finished The Counterfifth Detective. Everyone must read this.

Where is a good place to start with X-Men? I'm mostly looking to read about Magneto.
The Killing Joke is utter genius. Brilliant book. I used to love the old Asterix comics when I was young too. Still got some of them somewhere...

Also, what's the difference between a Graphic Novel and a Comic?
RIP Adam
Quote by imdeth
Been reading 100 Bullets. Just finished The Counterfifth Detective. Everyone must read this.

Where is a good place to start with X-Men? I'm mostly looking to read about Magneto.

Fantastic series.

100 Bullets and John Constantine: Hellblazer are pretty much the only series I read these days.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Metasponge
Nope, I live in Suffolk

If you aren't too far away, I know of a pretty good one in Ipswich.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Metasponge
Do tell! I live about 11 miles away

I love finding UGers in my area I ran into a guy who used to come on here a while back

Near the suffolk new college. walk there as if you were walking there from the centre of town. it's near the burned down church.

here's the address.

4 Eagle Street, Ipswich, Suffolk IP4 1JB
01473 233017

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
I love finding UGers in my area I ran into a guy who used to come on here a while back

Near the suffolk new college. walk there as if you were walking there from the centre of town. it's near the burned down church.

here's the address.

4 Eagle Street, Ipswich, Suffolk IP4 1JB
01473 233017

Thanks very much! I'll have a gander when I'm next there.
Quote by SexyLikeAPig
The Killing Joke is utter genius. Brilliant book. I used to love the old Asterix comics when I was young too. Still got some of them somewhere...

Also, what's the difference between a Graphic Novel and a Comic?

I consider the 20-30 page monthly/weekly/quarterly stuff as comics. Collections of weeklies, either in a story (like the batman hush, long halloween etc) or just a general collected edition I lump in with graphic novels.

I don't do monthly/weeklies and have 300+ collection of graphic novels, of which maybe like 20 are the smaller 'comics' (signed Lobo stuff mostly)

Just got some Punisher Max Volumes (1-5) Also got 'Daytripper' cause it got an Eisner this year.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Currently reading the Sandman and Queen and Country.
Afterwards will invest in Lucifer and the Death sequels.
Then, I might make my own comic.
Just started reading Blackest Night. I've read most of the story before BN.

I've also read some Captain America and a bit of Marvel Civil War. And the Killing Joke. And Watchmen.

Any suggestions on what to read next?
Unfortunately, I'm fairly skint, and comics can be fairly expensive, so it's been a while since I've read anything fresh.

To anyone that hasn't read Jeff Smith's Bone, I can't recommend it highly enough. I grew up on superhero comics and that's what makes up most of my collection, so Bone was something different for me (imagine a rich and epic story like Lord of the Rings and mix it with a Disney like style and you're imagining Bone, although that description doesn't do it much justice).

To anyone in the UK, you can pick up the entire collection over about 1300 black and white pages on Amazon for about £20. You can buy the volumes seperately in colour though (I think).

Just had to recommend it.

PS: Any Moon Knight fans in the audience?
I'm 65, and have enjoyed comics since I was a little kid. Literally learned to read by reading stuff like Bugs Bunny along with my mom.
As a... Mature comic reader, I like stuff with great artwork.
Quote by homeless-john
Unfortunately, I'm fairly skint, and comics can be fairly expensive, so it's been a while since I've read anything fresh.

To anyone that hasn't read Jeff Smith's Bone, I can't recommend it highly enough. I grew up on superhero comics and that's what makes up most of my collection, so Bone was something different for me (imagine a rich and epic story like Lord of the Rings and mix it with a Disney like style and you're imagining Bone, although that description doesn't do it much justice).

To anyone in the UK, you can pick up the entire collection over about 1300 black and white pages on Amazon for about £20. You can buy the volumes seperately in colour though (I think).

Just had to recommend it.

PS: Any Moon Knight fans in the audience?

I got that edition because I read half of the series as a kid and wanted to finish it. Enjoyed it, but felt the ending was a bit on the rushed side, a lot of build up then the climax was very brief. I would've liked a bit more on their time in the city, like how there was a lot of time spent in the town where the story didn't move that quickly.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
See, there were these two guys in a lunatic asylum... and one night, one night they decide they don't like living in an asylum any more. They decide they're going to escape! So, like, they get up onto the roof, and there, just across this narrow gap, they see the rooftops of the town, stretching away in the moon light... stretching away to freedom. Now, the first guy, he jumps right across with no problem. But his friend, his friend didn't dare make the leap. Y'see... Y'see, he's afraid of falling. So then, the first guy has an idea... He says 'Hey! I have my flashlight with me! I'll shine it across the gap between the buildings. You can walk along the beam and join me!' B-but the second guy just shakes his head. He suh-says... He says 'Wh-what do you think I am? Crazy? You'd turn it off when I was half way across!

Now starting:

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'm waiting for the right time to read The Dark Knight Returns.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
FINALLY. I'm a DC fan myself, mostly Bat titles with a splash of Flash, Green Lantern, or Justice League here and there. I read Batman & Robin, Detective Comics, Red Robin as my definite monthlies, but of course all those are changed heavily with the relaunch, so who knows. Graphic novel wise The Long Halloween is my all time favorite. Loeb is the bomb. For some reason I've never read Year One. Heresy, I know.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Last edited by Thrasher51 at Aug 17, 2011,
Quote by Metasponge
Nope, I live in Suffolk

If you don't live far from Norwich then there's a pretty good shop on St Benedict's street, which is sort of a back road that you might have to get directions to. Its called Abstract Sprocket, and they have all the new comics on one wall, graphic novels around the top wall, and the middle is full of back issues from all the main publishers that I know of.

The only series I really collect any more is The Walking Dead, but I'm trying to get all of the Sandman as well. I tried to get into a few series but I don't really have the money to keep going with them.

edit: Forgot to mention, I love pretty much anything by Alan Moore, I have a couple of collections of Swamp Thing, and couldn't recommend V for Vendetta enough.
Call me Matthew.
Last edited by Masshuu at Aug 17, 2011,
I've never gotten into reading comics, except lately I've been reading The Amory Wars series, which is based off of the overarching concept in Coheed and Cambria's discography. I've found myself really enjoying them, and it's made me want to check out some other series. I'm a fan of darker stuff, in anything really, so are there any real "dark" series I should look at?
Pretty much the only comic-y thing I've read is Watchmen. 'Twas ****ing amazing. I'm also a bit interested in reading the scott pilgrim books after seeing the movie.
Balls.
Quote by bradulator
I'm waiting for the right time to read The Dark Knight Returns.

It's a let down, just like everything Frank Miller does.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 2