Hey guys! My friend bought a boss ds 1. So i went to his house to test it on my gear. I have a yamaha eg 112c guitar and GA-15 amp. When i played it the sound was very very fuzzy and not at all clear! It literally sucked!! Its not what you hear on youtube or anythin! So is there any solution for this? I dont think its my amp, cuz my friend has a stranger 15 watt amp too.
modifications work a treat.

however it is partly the amp..
mojostompboxes.com
probably the amp... the vids on youtube will be using better equipment
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
What they said. Upgrade your amplifier first, probably to a tube one (not necessarily immediately, but whenever you can budget for a new one), and then see how the DS-1 holds up. I have a DS-1 that I occasionally use as an Overdrive, as I've removed the two diodes from the clipping circuit, making it louder and far less fizzy *shrug*.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
It's mostly the amp, not the ds-1.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
What they said. Upgrade your amplifier first, probably to a tube one (not necessarily immediately, but whenever you can budget for a new one), and then see how the DS-1 holds up. I have a DS-1 that I occasionally use as an Overdrive, as I've removed the two diodes from the clipping circuit, making it louder and far less fizzy *shrug*.

tube's aren't the answer to everything, there's many SS amps out there that do an equal, perhaps better job than tube amps.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
tube's aren't the answer to everything, there's many SS amps out there that do an equal, perhaps better job than tube amps.

wrong.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by Dempsey68

you shouldn't be comparing solid state and tube as if one is equal to or better than the other.. they are just different. end of story

it's basically the amp that's the problem, and i think suggesting a tube amp rather than a solid state amp might actually be a valid recommendation as solid state amps tend to amplify the sound a lot more accurately than a tube amp, which will more than likely leave the nasty fuzzy overtones intact, whereas a tube amp is more likely to give the sound a bit of a different character and round off the harshness a bit.

obviously that depends entirely on the individual amp but you'll probably find the DS-1 sounding sterile through most solid state amps because that pedal just needs an amp that is going to add a lot more 'colour' to the tone.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
^ I was in a rush this morning xP thank you for clarifying my position.

I never meant to diss SS amps, but a tube amplifier, in general, plays nicer with pedals, particularly non master volume ones (my own personal experience with amps I have tried).

I noticed my DS-1 sounded better through my Traynor than through my friends Jazz Chorus *shrug*, and that it sounded better with the removal of those two diodes. Just my experience with the DS-1. Take what you will from it.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
a ds-1 will sound better than with a solid state. however it does have a bit of a fuzzy side to it and thats normal its just in the design of the pedal. you can either mod it to get rid of the fuzziness or you can sell it and get something else.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Literally sucked?
DS-1's are only good if you mod them but even then you have to run them into a decent amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You will want to us a really clean channel or if you only have one channel make it as clean sounding as you can. I've used the DS-1 with a ton of SS amps over the years and it worked fine with most of them as long as I could get a nice clean sound out of the amp first.

I like the suggestions on here to buy a new amp instead just ditching the $40 pedal and getting a better pedal. It always seems to be the solution for everything here. I'm not saying his rig couldn't be improved with a new amp but maybe he likes what he has and/or doesn't need anything better to rock in his bedroom.
Quote by Griffin Effects
You will want to us a really clean channel or if you only have one channel make it as clean sounding as you can. I've used the DS-1 with a ton of SS amps over the years and it worked fine with most of them as long as I could get a nice clean sound out of the amp first.

well, the problem is the pedal's dirt is sounding fuzzy. dialing in the amp right isn't gonna fix that - it sounds fuzzy because that's how the pedal sounds. some people like the fuzzy sound, others don't. clearly the TS doesn't.

imo you really need a tube amp with a little bit of saturation that will cover up the fuzzy edge, or you need to mod the pedal, because it's just a fuzzy sounding pedal.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
The GA-15 is the one made by Harley Benton, right? In that case, everybody take not that this actually is a tube amp.

Now, the DS1 has a fizzy, unpleasant top-end, while the GA15's stock-speaker isn't exactly grand. The combination is what results in sucky tone. There's plenty of solutions, but all are expensive: Replace the pedal, replace speaker, replace the entire amp.
Personally, I run a GA-15 with an upgraded speaker and sometimes plug it into an external cab. Pretty pleased with the results.
Quote by TheQuailman
The GA-15 is the one made by Harley Benton, right?

Its one by Yamaha dude!
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Aug 10, 2011,
^I wouldn't say that if I were you....
Quote by amithkallupalam
Its one by Yamaha you crack!

I don't know if "crack" is now considered an insult or what... either way, are you looking for an argument?

If it is a solid-state amp made by Yamaha, nothing I said earlier is of any use of course.
While I have no experience with Yamaha's low-end amps, 15w ss amps are typically not very good. Replace if possible.
Amp
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by TheQuailman
^Thanks.

No problem.