It's not a guitar,but I'm talking about guitar pedals,so I figure it's relevant here
I've got a 70's organ that only has a headphone out,which I run through some pedals,and then into a bass amp.
Now there's one major problem I intend to rectify.The headphone out hums like crazy.
It's a low continuous hum that can be heard on when recorded if you listen very carefully.
So I'm after a noise gate.
Where a normal noise-gate would stop the unwanted noise whilst I'm not playing,the way electro-harmonix describes their 'hum de-bugger',I'm lead to believe it actually finds the hum and removes it entirely from the signal.Is this true?

TLDR:Recomend a noise gate for a humming organ
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
bump?

Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
The EHX thing sounds right weird. They didnt sell too well because it made everything sound sort of nasally and out of phase.

Have a look on youtube.

ISP decimator is cool.

Really you should be looking for the cause of the noise though. Does it hum with just the hedaphones plugged in?
+1 Becky

Better to fix a fault than cover it up with some gadget.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cheers guys,thanks for the responses
Fixing the issue was my first thought,but I've had no luck.
To clarify,I run a cable straight from the keyboards headphone jack into an amp,which creates the hum.
I was told to try a particular cable (something about balanced trs or something).Didn't have any luck with that.If anyone knows an easy way of modifying a headphone out to a normal instrument out,that'd be great!
But otherwise,it'll have to be a noisegate

Might be an impedance issue. I'm not sure what level the headphone output is ouputing but a simple buffer may help a ton. Another thing to consider might be a pre-amp of some sort.

If you amp has an FX loop, you might try hooking the effects up to there as FX loops are usually line level.

If the line out is balanced, you may need to take precautions to not ground out one side of the line out, since the pedal fx are unbalanced.

Here's some info to consider:
Most synthesizers have Line-Level audio outputs that can overload a typical effects box, designed for the lower level signals and the higher output impedances of guitar, which usually needs to receive a Hi-Z guitar input. One hardware solution is to use a re-amplifier, which converts line-level input to Hi-Z instrument output without adding noise. Unfortunately, these boxes cost from $250 - $500, making them as expensive as the effects box you want to connect! BUT you can use mic attenuators between your keyboard out and the stomp box in. For example, the ProCo MAX20 provides 20 dB of attenuation, which should eliminate any overload. You need a couple of adapters to convert its XLR connectors into 1/4" for the effects box.

Hope something here helps.
Thanks Griffin,
I'm no tech expert,but always thought headphone outs were a fairly low level signal,not as strong as a line level signal?
I'll try some a few things along the lines you have suggested,but at that kind of cost,a noise gate would be cheaper anyway,ha!

Regular headphones are generally low impedance. Line level is low impedance.

But guitar/bass is high impedance.

Its not really an issue of how much volume theyre putting out.

Impedance is different to level.

But yeah you are mismatching impedance, which can cause some troubles. Usually like the circuit in the amp doing more work than it needs to do to amplify. Which can add noise and generally isnt going to sound the way it should.

A gate is only going to help eliminate noise when you arent playing. Which is why i dont really reccomend it. If your noise issues are pretty prominent you will hear the gate opening and closing.

The right way to do things is to sort the problem out at the source.

Using a balanced cable isnt really going to make a difference when using a bass amp. But try a better quality cable anyway.
In this case a simple buffer may help you out. If you have a Boss pedal try putting it between the organ and the amp. You don't have to turn it on. Just have power to it. Boss pedals have a buffered bypass and the buffers will be active while the pedal is off.

If this works, you could build (or have someone build) a simple buffer in it's own enclosure for pretty cheap.
Last edited by Griffin Effects at Aug 14, 2011,