I'm buying my first real amp soon (my first ever came with an ibanez starter).

I'm looking at the Peavy Vypyr, but I'm not sure what the differences are between the 30 watt and 15 watt models. Is the 30 watt just louder? Or does it sound much better or have more effects?

This IS going to be a "practice amp" since I don't gig, but I still want something that sounds nice and can hold its own when I'm playing with friends.

Forgive my noobness, i'm not much of an expert on amps
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Learn to read the site. =-P

Just spend a bit more and get the 30. More amps, more effects, larger speaker cone so it handles bottom end better and has a more controlled, full sound. I run my HT-1 through impulses out of necessity. The stock 8" speaker breaks up too early to retain clarity. So yeah, the 12" 30 watt vypyr is ideal.

Then you can add the sanpera floor controllers when funds allow and you're set.
Both the amps have the same amount of effects and amp models, so the 30 watt is going to be just a little bit louder. And the 30 has an on oars looper. I would just get the 30 watt version.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by baumaxx1
The stock 8" speaker breaks up too early to retain clarity.

I beg to differ. Mine's just fine, could be luck though
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
No they don't... the 15 doesn't have any pedal emulations... just rack effects. You also miss out on the looper, the option of a foot pedal, a midi port and you get a proper 12" speaker instead of an 8". Get the 30w.

As I said... try playing a high gain drop B riff through a 8" speaker lol. I basically use my HT-1 as a head and run impulses. It actually sounds allright lol, but if you play metal you'll make the 8" speakers buzz like hell.

Quote by TuningGamer
I beg to differ. Mine's just fine, could be luck though

Depends what you do man, lol. It's fine for classic rock, indie, hell it even handles Tool (although impulses still sound better), but an 8" speaker isn't designed for drop B, lol. You do notice the difference when you use a 12".
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Aug 8, 2011,
Well, i guess i'm going 30 then.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Ragu35;

I traded my 30 w Vypyr off for a Fender65r. Drove me nutz trying to get a clean sound! Never did manage it; so off it went! There's about 3600 different combo's of amp/effect/pedal. There's not much info available and the downloaded manual sez shit all, IMHO
If yer into doo-dads and gimmicks...go for it. I played thru a friend's 15 watt unit. It sucked badly in comparison.

Just my take on it.....opinions and elbows; yanno
Quote by deltaten
Ragu35;

I traded my 30 w Vypyr off for a Fender65r. Drove me nutz trying to get a clean sound! Never did manage it; so off it went! There's about 3600 different combo's of amp/effect/pedal. There's not much info available and the downloaded manual sez shit all, IMHO
If yer into doo-dads and gimmicks...go for it. I played thru a friend's 15 watt unit. It sucked badly in comparison.

Just my take on it.....opinions and elbows; yanno

eh, idk. Everybody else i've spoken to about it has given me good news, but i'll try out some clean tones before I buy it.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013