So I've picked up a new project guitar. On the headstock it says "sakai" and it's kind of a strat shape. It has some wierd bar on the headstock and a 0 fret too! Unfortunately it's not in its original color, re-painted by the previous owner.

I'm not too bothered about the exact model, I would rather know what that bar (on the headstock) does, what type of pickup that is (p90 or something I assume) and what the hell is going on with that tailpiece and stopbar.

thank you!

EDIT: sorry for huge pictures
Last edited by Aleene at Aug 8, 2011,
1. which bar do you mean? the one on the headstock that keeps the strings below the nut or the bridge?

2. the pickup looks like a single coil, maybe a little wider like a P60 size. but not 100% on that.

3. and i think that tailpiece looks cool

edit: spelling mistake corrected
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by Dempsey68
1. which bar do you mean? the one on the headstock that keeps the strings below the nut or the bridge?

The one on the headstock, the strings go under it?
yeh its so the strings aren't above the nut, so that they sit on it properly
It looks like one of those japanese guitars from the 1960's.
It was a time when electric guitars were just becoming popular, and a lot of japanese manufacturing companies started making them. The thing is, they didn't have any experience building guitars, or any american guitars to refer to. They didn't try to copy designs or make something that sounded good. They just wanted to make a guitar that works, using whatever tools and materials they had available.

That's why the bridge is just a metal rod, without any saddles. The pickup is not a P90. It's just a single coil, probably unique to the factory, and probably with a ceramic bar magnet underneath. This was long before replacement parts became available, so nothing was standardised. Everyone made pickups their own way.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by sashki at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by sashki
It looks like one of those japanese guitars from the 1960's.
It was a time when electric guitars were just becoming popular, and a lot of japanese manufacturing companies started making them. The thing is, they didn't have any experience building guitars, or any american guitars to refer to. They didn't try to copy designs or make something that sounded good. They just wanted to make a guitar that works, using whatever tools and materials they had available.

That's why the bridge is just a metal rod, without any saddles. The pickup is not a P90. It's just a single coil, probably unique to the factory, and probably with a ceramic bar magnet underneath. This was long before replacement parts became available, so nothing was standardised. Everyone made pickups their own way.

Hope that helps.

i completely understand your point.

but...

Quote by sashki
or any american guitars to refer to.

explain the very fender-esque headstock shape then please.

(not being a dick or anything, just saying.)
Quote by sashki

That's why the bridge is just a metal rod, without any saddles. The pickup is not a P90. It's just a single coil, probably unique to the factory, and probably with a ceramic bar magnet underneath.
Hope that helps.

Yeah it does help, the bridge actually looks more like a nut than anything, it has little grooves in it for the strings to rest on.

Thanks for identifying the pickup as well

Just to clarify, I didn't buy the guitar because I thought it would be some tone beast, it's paper thin (easily as thin as the thinnest point on an ibanez S) and was a good deal for a nice new project guitar. Thank you though.
That's a Teisco/Silvertone offshoot, give me a few minutes and I'll take some pictures of the Silvertone I have that looks just like it (minus color) and has two single coils identical to yours. You're gonna be amazed

UPDATE:

Mine has a different bridge (and a ghetto tremolo missing the arm), but that's about the only difference. Mine has a zero fret, truss rod nut at the neck joint, same pickup(s), and very similar headstock. And you're right, these are ridiculously thin. They're pushing an inch thick maybe.

The pickup bobbins are definitely bigger than a single coil, but they're not P90's either. I'm not sure what you would call 'em. And the bar on the headstock serves the same purpose as the string trees on a Fender, it gives the strings a better break angle over the nut. Remember when I said thin, people? It requires a bar for EVERY string haha
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 9, 2011,