Hi,

I was reading some terrible facts about rainforrest destruction of rosewood tress etc, and was wondering if guitar companies such as Fender, Gibson etc were partly responsible for rain forrest destruction, and consequently, us guitarists.

Doses anyone know were Fender sources its wood from?
bro, if anyone is responsible for that, it's paper companies. that's why everyone should use hemp.
The real problem are farmers burning down the rain forests to expand or replace their fields, aswell as entrepenours chopping it down to build shit there.
gibson actually was sued not to long ago for using rainforest wood for guitars in the 90s, but i think it was because they told the press they were doing it environmentally friendly by replanting trees although they didnt. if i find the article i will link it.

also fender uses alder, which i dont think is being sourced from rainforests
With paper really dominating the market I'd say we'll need a lot more hemp before we're through.
REGGIE
Quote by RajjaJroach
Ok, thanks guys. Can you really use hemp as a paper substitute?

yes.

we even have hemp cones for speaker as opposed to paper. the notebook i have is made with hemp paper.
hemp isn't just for getting high, that just the bud off female hemp plants. jackass politicians want you to think hemp is bad, cause they are jackasses.
Yes guitar companies have been known to be involved in rainforest destruction but recently representatives from the likes of Gibson and Fender have been trying to reduce their own and others contribution to deforestation. I found this in an article i read recently where somebody who i think was from gibson said "The last tree will be cut in our lifetime"(if we dont do anything about it).
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
I wouldnt want to use soley hemp just for our paper supplys.

The cannabis rex is a pretty unique sounding speaker. I dont think a V30 or something would sound the same with a hemp cone.

Though it is probably part of the reason they made it illegal, cutting too much into the timber industries proffits. (We all watch family guy... :p

We're always going to have regular grade alder or mahogany. It just wont be up to the same quality of wood thats been growing for 100s of years in the amazon somewhere.

Its hardly just the music industries fault, i'd bet most of your grandparents probably had their liquer propped up on some rare exotic wood cabinet.
Quote by DrakeTheOne
bro, if anyone is responsible for that, it's paper companies. that's why everyone should use hemp.

+1 for the hemp,
anyway guitar collecting and buying is obviously going to kill some trees. However only the most expensive guitars come from the rainforest. But a brazilian rosewood neck is just so damn beautiful.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
Last edited by fretz86 at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by fretz86
+1 for the hemp,
anyway guitar collecting and buying is obviously going to kill some trees. However only the most expensive guitars come from the rainforest. But a brazilian rosewood neck is just so damn beautiful.

Big Image

You honestly mean the entire NECK is made of rosewood? Stop this silly business at once, I won't have you spouting such preposterous ideas! I take it the fretboard is made out of PLATINUM?
REGGIE
Last edited by LeakyFlask at Aug 8, 2011,
most of the rosewood used now is from india and isn't endangered. back in the old days the south american wood was readily avaiable and no one thought much about it. furniture makers etc are far more to blame than guitar makers.
Quote by LeakyFlask
You honestly mean the entire NECK is made of rosewood? Stop this silly business at once, I won't have you spouting such preposterous ideas! I take it the fretboard is made out of PLATINUM?

what silly business? It's a rosewood neck.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
indian rosewood sounds the same. brazi is just prettier.

boy do they get mad at me at BAM whenever i post that.

truth is paul reed smith told me that.

THAT really pisses them off.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
indian rosewood sounds the same. brazi is just prettier.

boy do they get mad at me at BAM whenever i post that.

truth is paul reed smith told me that.

THAT really pisses them off.

haha
buy a strat with an alder or swamp ash body and one-piece maple neck

those woods (as far as i'm aware) don't grow in the rainforests.

that being said, I'm pretty sure guitar manufacture is pretty far down the list of causes as regards rainforest destruction.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
buy a strat with an alder or swamp ash body and one-piece maple neck

those woods (as far as i'm aware) don't grow in the rainforests.

that being said, I'm pretty sure guitar manufacture is pretty far down the list of causes as regards rainforest destruction.

Swamp ash is exclusive to the American South. Alder is prevalent throughout the world.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i remember a myth that McDonalds was responsible for the destruction of the rain forest.

damn burger king execs...
it probably doesn't help... i'd doubt it's solely responsible, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
probably just an urban legend.

i've never researched it to see, i just planted a tree out back and went to wendys.
Quote by gregs1020
i remember a myth that McDonalds was responsible for the destruction of the rain forest.

damn burger king execs...

Chopping down forests to make room for cattle farms is what I've heard them being guilty of. Plus it's doubly harmful because of all the methane the cattle produce.
Quote by Duv
Chopping down forests to make room for cattle farms is what I've heard them being guilty of. Plus it's doubly harmful because of all the methane the cattle produce.

i avoided BK all this time for that?
Fender probably doesn't do a HUGE amount of damage to rainforests from the wood they buy - it's mostly alder and maple. Gibson I believe sources most of their mahogany from farmed trees or from Africa where Khaya (ie, African Mahogany) is still somewhat common.

As for rosewood, it's (as far as I'm aware, which isn't very) still relatively plentiful in India.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by RajjaJroach
Ok, thanks guys. Can you really use hemp as a paper substitute?

I had actually said that as a joke. But yes, you can. in fact the reason that marijuna and through relation hemp are really frowned upon is because when they were legal everyone used hemp instead of lumber. the lumber companies lost money and ran a smear campaign against pot and hemp and everyone belived them.
guys just so you know, guitars are one of the lowest impacting industries to deforestation, the highest impact industries are farming (for fast food) furniture, and skateboards... skateboarding accounts for 1/3 of all maple deforestation if you can believe it!

Don't feel guilty buying a top spec rich wood guitar, it accounts for nothing compared to other industries!

I've heard some companies are looking into bamboo guitars, lord knows what that will do to tone, but it's a great material!