So i'm trying to play a few songs, and a-lot of them have string muting involved, now I have a-lot of trouble with this, especially when you are doing a power chord and you have to mute selected strings, I always acidentally mute all the strings, I really don't know how to do it, I ean I know the basic idea, but say I'm doing a power chord, and I have my first finger on the 3rd fret of the low E and my 2nd finger on the 5th fret of the A and my pinky on the 5th fret of the D, now i'm meant to mute all the other strings, with my first finger (apparently) but I end up muting the A and the D as well, so how can I resolve this?

Cheers
I don't get how you possibly could mute the A and D strings with your left hand's index finger. That's just physically impossible.

I also hope you mean your ring finger on the A string instead of middle finger. That fingering would be quite awkward.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
first finger on the 3rd fret of the low E and my 2nd finger on the 5th fret of the A

Did you mean 3rd finger for the 5th fret of the A or do you use your 2nd finger for the A? If so try using your 3rd finger for the A and your pinky for the D and try and flatten your index finger out ever so slightly so you lightly touch the G,B,E strings therefore muting them but be careful not to fret them. Hope I helped and understood your question right
Lay your first finger across al the strings lightly then using the pad of your first finger press on the third fret on the low E. Strum and make sure only the low E rings out. Add the other two fingers one at a time, strumming with the addition of each new finger, making sure only the notes you want ring out. The first finger does all of the muting here, just keep it resting against the strings so they can't vibrate.
Here's the chord I think you're describing:

E|----X-----
B|----X-----
G|----X-----
D|----5-----
A|----5-----
E|----3-----

My question is, why are you strumming the extra 3 strings? If they are muted, why even bother hitting them at all? I have never seen a chord written like that, usually it's like this: (In which case, you'd only pick the bottom 3 strings)

E|----------
B|----------
G|----------
D|----5-----
A|----5-----
E|----3-----

Here is a common variation that does use a muted string:

E|----------
B|----------
G|----------
D|----5-----
A|----X-----
E|----3-----

In this case, your index finger that is fretting the 3rd fret is also lightly touching the A string to mute the string. The 5th fret of the D string is fingered with either your ring or pinky finger.
sorry I meant my third finger in on the A, my mistake, my problem is, I try muting the others with my first, but then I end up muting all the others, or even all of the strings

here is the song i'm trying to learn, i'm ok on the first part (the F power chord) but on the second part, i'm really having trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAcy60XQPg0
Okay, watched the video and checked out the GP ver 2 tab from this site.

If your talking about the text that scrolled at 2:45, that's not too hard. Here's what he's talking about: (This is probably a more accurate chord pattern for the video)

E|----X-----
B|----X-----
G|----3-----
D|----3-----
A|----1-----
E|----X-----

With your index finger that is hitting the 1st fret, use the pad of your finger (not the tip) for the 1st fret A sting. That allows the tip of your finger to barley touch the low E string without pressing it down, which will mute it. Then, the rest of your index finger is used to barley touch the high E & B string to mute them. The only reason you need the muted stings is because Cobain was a very aggressive picker. A player could clean up the pick pattern so the only the fretted strings were played, but it might loose some of the grunge sound.

If your talking about the blank "chug" sounds used in between the chords, that is just your index finger lightly touching the stings. There is no specific fret needed, you just need to find a feel for it. The tab shows the A, D, G, and B stings being hit, but there is some grey area there. Adding a little palm muting to the chugs might help the sound, or try making the chugs with low E, A, & D.
Last edited by FrankenFoot at Aug 8, 2011,
Left hand muting just takes time. I mean it's something that you can work on for sure, but it won't happen overnight. If you're into playing funk music it's really good practice for left handed muting. Just keep playing and be aware of the sound that are coming from the guitar when you are muting/unmuting the strings. Over time you will find-tune it to where you want to be.
First of all, most people find 134 much more comfortable for powerchords.

Secondly, it's impossible for you to be muting the AD strings with your first finger if playing a powerchord. Your other fingers are fretting them past your index finger. You do want to mute all the other strings with it though.