Hello every one. i have a really good bass player in my band but every time i make tabs and every thing and make sure every one they have their sheet music and tabs he just comes back next rehearsal with the comment that it is not right because his bass teacher sais so (used a UG tab for forsaken ~ dream theater with some corrections of my own in the guitar parts).

And when we played live (3 rehearsals total) he had no clue what to play and basicly played the chorus over and over again.

Next to that he has the stage presence of a drug addict and incists on playing nirvana over and over again. (wich is no problem actually but it is annoying.)

What should i do?
I am really tempted to let him go, but i know him for ages. and there is no local bass player who has the skill to actually be able to play the parts i write for bass.
don't gig until you are ready

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
don't gig until you are ready

x

That is a bit of a problem, we all are ready. He just is not. We are actually a verry high paced band, i know he could keep up without even trying hard. but he is just not doing anything exept when he is at the rehearsal. and i am not intending to get a lot of rehearsal time because the rooms are quite pricey here. (government culture cuts >_>
well theres your problem, you regularly write parts for him to play. Let him come up with his parts and if they are really bad let him go. Its probably easy to remember something u made but u cant expect somebody to instantly follow a tab to a dream theater song.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
It's no use having a skilled bassplayer that doesn't know what he's supposed to play. From what you say, I'd guess this guy isn't ready to be in a band. And tell him that running to your teacher with every tab he gets is actually childish and shows how dependent he is of others when it comes to musicianship.
I'M A COWBOY
Quote by longneckdude
well theres your problem, you regularly write parts for him to play. Let him come up with his parts and if they are really bad let him go. Its probably easy to remember something u made but u cant expect somebody to instantly follow a tab to a dream theater song.

I actually encourage him to write own parts. he sais he will and then comes with nothing. like i said, he actually does nothing exept for in rehearsals. i actually got shit for playing 'in the wrong key or something' from the keyboard because he knows the bass player too and he usually plays verry well.
Quote by loaded_
It's no use having a skilled bassplayer that doesn't know what he's supposed to play. From what you say, I'd guess this guy isn't ready to be in a band. And tell him that running to your teacher with every tab he gets is actually childish and shows how dependent he is of others when it comes to musicianship.

this +

if theres a keyboard player, he could do the job (Y)
He seems like he doesnt really give a shit, if he really is as good as you say then keep him for a while longer and see try to get him to play your pieces without going to his teacher and also tell him that if he doesn't like your bass lines then he should write his own and if he can't then kick him out because then he definitely doesn't give a ****
Quote by mrRICHARD911
this +

if theres a keyboard player, he could do the job (Y)

guess i will.

Thanks to every one providing feedback!
You are not ready to gig until everyone has every part of every song nailed down perfectly. Until then, you don't accept or book gigs. It doesn't matter if the rest of you are tight, nobody walks out of a gig saying "Well, the singer, guitarists and drummer were good, so I could just tune out the bassist who had no idea what he was doing." One person being lost makes you all sound like crap.

And can you please explain how this guy is a great bassist? He sounds awful. Kick him out and find someone who is willing to put in the work. Would you run a company into the ground because you wouldn't fire a useless employee who happens to be a friend?
The answer is so simple it will blow your mind... are you ready for this?..... You sure?

OK... here it comes......

....tell him to sort his own feckin' tabs out.
Just do what they do to Murderface in Dethklok and mix him out completely.
Or was it Sid Vicious, I think.... He was so f**ked up that they killed his bass in the mix for the live show, and Malcolm MacLaren (the band manager) played bass from behind the stage?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Or was it Sid Vicious, I think.... He was so f**ked up that they killed his bass in the mix for the live show, and Malcolm MacLaren (the band manager) played bass from behind the stage?

CT

Sid couldn't actualy play bass when he joined the Pistols, he'd previously been a singer and saxaphone player for 'The Flowers of Romance' and a drummer for an early version of 'Siouxsie and the Banshees', Sid famously asked Lemmy from Motörhead, to teach him how to play bass with the words, "I can't play bass," to which Lemmy replied "I know." In another interview Lemmy stated, "Yeah. It was all uphill. And he still couldn't play bass when he died."
But I don't think MacLaren played bass backstage, by the sounds of the live recordings I've heard, I think they just turned him right down in the mix, (and gave Steve Jones a very bassy sound to cover it) you can just about hear him, and it's pretty apparent that he had a rough idea what he was doing, but he really was all over the place key wise.
Haha!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.