So I'm trying to hold the pick in a way such that it's at a 45 degree angle to the strings (instead of being perpendicular), but when playing the pick will (after a minute or two) magically slip back into it's original place.

I'm holding the pick with the side of my index finger and the pad of my thumb, and I'm holding it with enough force to hold it while it picks the strings but not so much that it's causing unnecessary tension.

Do I just need to hold the pick with more force to stop it adjusting itself back to perpendicular when I play? This doesn't seem to help that much...

Any help will be appreciated since worrying about technique has essentially got me searching these forums and the internet trying to make sure my technique is flawless for hours on end, when I should be (and want to be) practicing.

It's really starting to frustrate me since all I want to do is improve, yet no matter how much I research my technique, adjust it and practice slowly to a metronome for hours I simply don't get any better (I'm not just talking about speed, and before anyone says it I start at a very slow speed and make sure I'm doing everything perfectly before moving up).
Angling the pick isn't really a good thing. A lot of guitarists will say the opposite in fact; the pick being perpendicular to the strings is good. When it's at 45 degrees you get a pick scrape noise each time you pick, but when it's perpendicular you get a much tighter, clean sound. It's easier to play with it angled, but won't sound as good.
the way you hold the pick is not esscential. If you look great guitar players like Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, Tosin Abasi, etc.. you'll see that all of them hold the pick differtent.
I can give you an advise. When you play your exersises, pay atention to not hold too hard the pick, and let your wrist do some job.
And something else i can say is that with different techniques, different picking is better. For example, for sweep picking i hold really soft the pick and i let the wrist do most of the job. And for alternate picking i hold really hard the pick to get the sound i like.
Hope it helps
Yeah I've had the same problem before, I pretty much do the same thing eddiemolko does though. I tend to hold the pick in different ways for alt. picking, strumming, muting, etc.
For galloping i like to angle the pick backwards towards the bridge

For downpicking i keep it flat

For alternate picking i angle it 45 degrees. towards the neck
I don't agree that angling the pick gives you a worse sound than picking perpendicular. It's just different.

You can control the angle of the pick by bending the joint in your thumb. It's nice to be able to vary the angle depending on what sort of tone you want to get.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
I've tried angling the pick myself, but, for me, perpendicular is more comfortable, it provides a crisper, snappier sound and it just sounds more natural to me.
Quote by Anon17
So I'm trying to hold the pick in a way such that it's at a 45 degree angle to the strings (instead of being perpendicular), but when playing the pick will (after a minute or two) magically slip back into it's original place.

I'm holding the pick with the side of my index finger and the pad of my thumb, and I'm holding it with enough force to hold it while it picks the strings but not so much that it's causing unnecessary tension.

Do I just need to hold the pick with more force to stop it adjusting itself back to perpendicular when I play? This doesn't seem to help that much...

Any help will be appreciated since worrying about technique has essentially got me searching these forums and the internet trying to make sure my technique is flawless for hours on end, when I should be (and want to be) practicing.

It's really starting to frustrate me since all I want to do is improve, yet no matter how much I research my technique, adjust it and practice slowly to a metronome for hours I simply don't get any better (I'm not just talking about speed, and before anyone says it I start at a very slow speed and make sure I'm doing everything perfectly before moving up).

Would it be possible to post a picture of your grip or a close up video of your picking hand while playing? I think there's possibly something wrong with the way you're gripping the pick but I can't tell without seeing you hold a pick; really there shouldn't be any room for your pick to 'de-angle' itself, if you see what I mean, without you adjusting what your fingers are doing...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
That's what I thought, although earlier today I tried holding the pick differently and it felt a lot easier to pick at the strings and do some basic sweeps etc... (It just felt smoother, and the tone difference wasn't really that much).

I'll post a picture later anyway when I can use my phone to check, thanks for the help by the way.