So im gonna decide if it want to install a push/pull coil tap or a 5 way switch in my guitar. I have 2 humbuckers. It will just split them.
So what is the easyest/best to use? Annyboday had any trouble with either of theese live and such?
Assuming the 5 split the humbuckers the same way the coil tap does, I go with the 5 way. It's faster going from bridge humbucker to (say) split neck in live situations with the 5-way than the coil tap IMO.

I thought PRS finally got it right with the new custom 24s with the 5-way.
surely you have to have 3 pickups to have a 5 way switch? And only certain pickups are coil-tappable i think, coil-tapping and 5 way switching are totally different things
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by RetroGunslinger
surely you have to have 3 pickups to have a 5 way switch? And only certain pickups are coil-tappable i think, coil-tapping and 5 way switching are totally different things

Sorry man but thats just wrong. Many ibanez's have 5 way switch and 2 pickups. You should be able to find some diagrams on ideas howw to wire it on Ibanez's website.
Quote by rox355
Sorry man but thats just wrong. Many ibanez's have 5 way switch and 2 pickups. You should be able to find some diagrams on ideas howw to wire it on Ibanez's website.

Yeah but then the pickups have to be coiltappable, so in order for this guy to put in a 5 way switch with only 2 pickups hes gonna have to coil tap them in the first place?
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
up to you, really. push-pull will give you more options, but a 5-way is easier to adjust on the fly. also they may give you different wiring options.

push-push would be worth considering if you prefer the wiring of push-pull but find it a bit fiddly to engage on the fly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
on another note, as far as installation goes, i assume now you have a round 3 way switch?
youre also choosing between making a slot for a 5 way (unless its slotted with a 3way), or replacing a pot you already have.
wiring a split on a push pull pot is much easier to do than wiring a 5 way switch. this depends on experience, but a 5 way switch is more complicated and has smaller/less space between lugs
I would recommend the push-pull. Unless you decided to do some crazy wiring, you will probably end up with more pickup combination possibilities with two independent push-pulls. It's also easier to handle on-the-fly. Moving one position on a 5-way requires some finesse to do fast, versus just yanking/slapping a knob.

Quote by RetroGunslinger
Yeah but then the pickups have to be coiltappable, so in order for this guy to put in a 5 way switch with only 2 pickups hes gonna have to coil tap them in the first place?

He's discussing the two methods of coil splitting. Either the 5-way switch could do it (by grounding the second coil at, say, positions 2 and 4) or the push-pulls could ground the pickups. You're right about only certain pickups being splittable, though; they have to have 4 wires, instead of the non-splittable 2.
Quote by horser4dish

He's discussing the two methods of coil splitting. Either the 5-way switch could do it (by grounding the second coil at, say, positions 2 and 4) or the push-pulls could ground the pickups. You're right about only certain pickups being splittable, though; they have to have 4 wires, instead of the non-splittable 2.

On my page in my sig theres information on making any 2 wire humbucker into a 4 wire splittable humbucker i did it for my last build, pretty easy
it's up to you, really.

if you want to be able to split the pickups separately (i.e. use the full neck humbucker combined with the bridge split, or vice-versa; alternatively, you can have one pickup set to full humbucking, and the other set to single coil, and switch between them using the pickup selector without having to go near the push-push a you'd have to if you only had one push-push), then get two push-push knobs and use them for both the volume and tone knobs.

dimarzio doesn't seem to have the diagram for that, but duncan does (just make sure the colour-coding is the same, or if it's not, remember to keep that in mind lol):

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w_2pp

EDIT: if you don't need to be able to split the two pickups independently (i.e. you either want humbucker or single coils tones, but not combined), then you use this diagram (again, watch out for the colour-coding):

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w_1pp
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 10, 2011,
5-way is faster to operate but slightly more limiting. A 3-way selector switch with two split push-pulls gives you a few more options but takes longer to operate. Your call.
Quote by Usernames sucks
But if i want to use the push pull button, do i need 2? Looks like it here: http://www.dimarzio.com/support/wiring-diagrams#1-4-3-10
I have 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1tone knob.

MY push pull supports two independents circuits(3 if we count with the potenciometer).
But since you have two possible knobs. you can have

2 humbuckers 1 pushpull for volume (and controling the split of one humbuckers) and 1 pushpull for tone (controlling the split of the other humbucker.

I have 4 knobs in my guitar. I setted it up with 2 volumes and two push/pull for tone. So I control volume and tone of each humbucker independently. Seymour Duncan website has a lot of diagrams to do all sorts of stuff.
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's up to you, really.

if you want to be able to split the pickups separately (i.e. use the full neck humbucker combined with the bridge split, or vice-versa; alternatively, you can have one pickup set to full humbucking, and the other set to single coil, and switch between them using the pickup selector without having to go near the push-push a you'd have to if you only had one push-push), then get two push-push knobs and use them for both the volume and tone knobs.

dimarzio doesn't seem to have the diagram for that, but duncan does (just make sure the colour-coding is the same, or if it's not, remember to keep that in mind lol):

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w_2pp

EDIT: if you don't need to be able to split the two pickups independently (i.e. you either want humbucker or single coils tones, but not combined), then you use this diagram (again, watch out for the colour-coding):

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w_1pp

Is the colors "the same", even if i use dimarzio? How can i figur this out?
Also i have this cap, does it work? It says for dimarzio: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UPGRADE-Tone-Capacitor-fralin-dimarzio-pickup-PIO-Q-/300344207855?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45ede8e9ef
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

what's the value of the cap you have? that's normally all that matters for guitar caps (i think), you tend to use different values for humbuckers than for single coils.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
presumably you'd want to know the capacitance of it. if you just stick a random cap in, unless you're really lucky, it probably won't sound very good (if it even works).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah but as i said, you tend to match the cap value to the type of pickup, not the manufacturer.

north south start finish just refers to the wires coming from each coil.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
buy different cap values and try the one you like the most. they are so cheap..... I bought 2 sets..and in the end I got lazy and didn't try both eheh.