Poll: Used CS Strat vs New Gibson LP?
Poll Options
View poll results: Used CS Strat vs New Gibson LP?
Used Fender customshop Stratocaster
22 56%
New Gibson LesPaul Standard
17 44%
Voters: 39.
Hey

I've got around 2k$ to spend on a new guitar. I play 80's metal, shred and modern metal. I do have one cheap Ibanez but it's not reliable enough for me to gig with it.

I've tried these modern shiny "ultra fast neck pew pew" guitars, but I don't really care about the neck profile, I'm used to play on fat necks so it doesnt make any diffrence for me really.

Anyway I'd like to have one very good quality instrument instead of few mediocre. It's alot of money for me so I'd like a guitar that would serve me well for the rest of my life. I'm considering:

- Used Fender custom shop Stratocaster

or

- New Gibson LP Standard

I've played both, and both sound simply amazing. I can't tell which I like more, but I have to say that my biggest inspiration and favourite guitarist is Yngwie Malmsteen, so I'm slightly more into a vintage yellow strat. I'd like the custom shop instead of his signature though because I want my own fav pickups there, and non scalloped neck yet. I'd love a vintage white made in japan strat, but they come only with medium frets, and I'd like to have the biggest available.

The gibson would be better for metal though. Damn its a tough choice, and I dont want to put that amount of money into a guitar that would disappoint me in a long run. Of course I'd like to have both, and I probably will but thats not even imaginable for me now. I've been collecting this cash for two years already, so any help will be appriciated!

/thanks
I've played a little cheaper one - Charvel San Dimas, it has the most comfortable neck in the world, but there is nothing stunning about it. Its a very simple guitar, but it sounds really good. I'd like a little more... "prestigious" guitar so I could be really proud of it.

Though I havent looked into 2000$ charvels yet, thanks for the tip!
out of the two, used fender custom shop fo' sho'
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
They just seem like your kind of thing. They have bigger frets, and you can get one with an HSS configuration, so you can have your Malmsteen tones on the neck and middle pickups, and switch over to the bridge humbucker for the more metal tones. It's the best of both worlds, really.

Fender's custom shop strats tend to be more vintage flavoured.
2 very different guitars, I don't understand the logic here.

I suggest a Jackson Soloist. As for the neck thing, you can get used to a thinner neck, especially if it's not an ultra thin one like an Ibanez. Jacksons have pretty thin necks too, so you may also want to look at ESPs. The modern strat neck is not considered to be fat anyway.

When it comes down to it, you have a high enough budget to look at many good options. Most American companies make great USA made guitars, even if their asian lines suck. Just look around. The fact that it's come done to a Fender or a Gibson tells me that you haven't given this a lot of consideration.
funny... Ive only been playing for 2 years but I own 2 electric guitars. A 99 Fender Strat American standard (bought used for $900) and my first guitar, a Gibson Studio LP (bought new for $800).

I really love them both and could never get rid of one. Ive only had the strat about 2 months. They both do things the other guitar cant do. The LP growls. Get that drive up and the tone on the mids is sick. Ive got a Fender Blues delux tweed reissue amp. I dont run any effects through it except a vox wawa which I dont use that often anyway. Ive tried like hell and cant get the strat to growl like the LP. That being said the strat has that classic ring... sounds like a bell. It simply produces a prettier sound. It feels like it has more range and I would say its definatly more versatile. Both are very good looking guitars and I think they are 'cool' guitars to own if that means anything. Ive been happy with the LPs durability and construction, although I am thinking about upgrading the pickups.

When I play alone or w/ headphones I always use the strat. But when I jam with others I always play the LP. Being the newer guitar player I happily play rhythm and the LP growl just rocks. Its a very bassy guitar and our bass player is often MIA and my LP and my friend's strat sound damn good together.

If your thinking about picking one up there is no wrong that can be done.
he of tranquil mind
Quote by MvAgusta
I've played a little cheaper one - Charvel San Dimas, it has the most comfortable neck in the world, but there is nothing stunning about it. Its a very simple guitar, but it sounds really good. I'd like a little more... "prestigious" guitar so I could be really proud of it.

Though I havent looked into 2000$ charvels yet, thanks for the tip!

ummmm.... dude it's all about a great playing neck and sound not prestige. if you are shopping based on how "cool" a guitar will be to own then you are on the wrong track and any advice given here will be useless. a Charvel San Dimas is perfect for most of what you play. if you can find one used that would leave enough cash to buy an american strat and maybe enough for the replacement pickups as well. you can have your cake and eat it to with some wise investing. i'd much rather have 2 great guitars than 1 that is all about "prestige" and not about playability and sound.
Quote by Dmaj7
think about it this way. Some people would take a used strat over a new one.

I would. It's a cheaper investment for an expensive guitar. I'd also take a used LP over a new one. This is assuming they weren't beat to hell..

Hard to pick between the two here, they're so different and each good at different things. I like the way Strats feel more than (most) LPs, so I'd probably go Strat.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
anyone knows if the Fender Classic Customshop Strat has S-S-S route or H-S-H under the pickguard?

I'd like to put a humbucker in the bridge someday perhaps, and it would be painful to cut through a custom shop body.
Quote by MvAgusta
anyone knows if the Fender Classic Customshop Strat has S-S-S route or H-S-H under the pickguard?

I'd like to put a humbucker in the bridge someday perhaps, and it would be painful to cut through a custom shop body.

depends on the model. you can get single coil sized humbuckers or use something like Lace Sensor pickups that are noiseless and come in a variety of strenghts (i use them myself in my strat).
both the choices are wrong for what you play. at least not without modifying it.

i'd have to say a vigier, used PRS custom 24, carvin custom shop or one of the newer charvel superstrats. the charvel and carvin would be a lot cheaper and actually leave about half your budget for other stuff. or a prestige or J custom.

shit there's a ton of stuff in budget for you to look at. try just about everything you can.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Ok I gave it a little thought...
I have checked the ebay recently and I've seen this nice Jackson SL2H. Looks like it's got everything I need with high quality. But there is one thing that really turns me off. With the white option, there are these awful black pickup plastic surrounding. Is there any way to remove it, like in the pickup mounting on charvels?
Quote by MvAgusta
Ok I gave it a little thought...
I have checked the ebay recently and I've seen this nice Jackson SL2H. Looks like it's got everything I need with high quality. But there is one thing that really turns me off. With the white option, there are these awful black pickup plastic surrounding. Is there any way to remove it, like in the pickup mounting on charvels?

Usually those pickup rings are screwed into the body. you could remove them and mount directly to the body, but you'll still have the screw holes.
It looks like a pretty nice guitar for the price, but I'd really have to do something about the pickups and rings.

I've checked for white emg81/85 set (I like their sound tbh), but on ebay they come without white rings. Where can I possibly get these? That would fit the SL2H of course.
New Gibson LEs Paul Standard.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by SMTHSCN
always go new!

Not true

Fender customshop FTW!
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Used PRS custom 24 or new charvel or ibanez.

or a used wolfgang from the Jackson custom shop, those things are secks.
Buy an MIA strat ($650 used) and a nice Epiphone Elite LP / or Gibson LP Studio

Problem solved, best of both worlds.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by guitar nubsauce
Buy an MIA strat ($650 used) and a nice Epiphone Elite LP / or Gibson LP Studio

Problem solved, best of both worlds.

not by a long shot.
Two grand is a lot of money. If you can't find a guitar that suits you exactly stock then go custom, either by ordering Warmoth parts and putting something together yourself or look into local builders or maybe even search eBay for parts to piece together. For two grand there is no reason to be compromising or having to take risks or thinking of buying something and modding it. Either buy something stock that's perfect or go custom.
Quote by kutless999
Not true

Fender customshop FTW!

true it is a custom shop...

I don't understand the point of this though, they're so different as guitars go, how can you compare them