GASing hard for an orange...
I could get my hands on a R30 head for around 1100.
I could get a Thunder 30 head for around 900.
What are the tonal differences between the two?
Could a thunder 30 reproduce the sound of a R30?
I play anything from Blues to Metal- my focus would be blues and hard rock.
A side note- What's the difference b/w el-34 and el-84 tonally?
Theyre very different amps.

I own the TH30, played the R30.

The TH as far as im concerned has richer warmer cleans than the rockers natural channel, the th has a 2 band EQ, the rocker has no EQ for the clean channel.

The TH has more gain, its a bit fizzer. No 3 band EQ, just a shape control, to the left is humped mids no treble and bass, to the right is max treble and bass with scooped mids. So it sounds more modern turned to the right, more vintage to the left. About 11oclock is the sweet spot. It's not tight enough for shred or death metal, its good for old thrash and heavy metal, stoner and doom stuff.

The r30 has a 3 band EQ for the dirty channel very ballsy is the best way to describe it, its got that orangey fuzzy sound but mixed with raw AC/DC cranked to 11 tones.

The voicing for both amps is quite loose, the TH is tighter than the rocker and a bit more modern sounding overall.

But it doesnt have the balls and juicyness in the low gain department that the rocker has. I use my rangemaster for a lower mid boost to compensate.

EL84s break up eairler, sound a bit chimier than the EL34, the 84 can be a little fizzy at times.

I wouldnt compare them both in the shop, the TH30 is PRC, comes with shitty no name valves, the rocker is handmade in the UK comes with JJs (I think). Some decent valves really helps tame the fizz.

The TH30 combo has a G12h30.
The r30 has a vintage 30.

The TH30 has an effects loop and the same power switching as the dual terror. 30/15/7 watts.
I would go for the Rocker. The Thunder, modeled on the Rockerverb circuit, has 4 gain stages as opposed to 3 on the R30, and can get dirtier or cleaner than the R30. However, it's a more modern sound, and it's made in China.
Some specs:

R30:
Dirty channel: volume, gain, 3-band EQ
Clean channel: volume
EL-34
3 gain stages
Made in UK

Thunder 30:
Dirty channel: volume, shape EQ control, gain
Clean channel: volume, treble, bass
EL-84
4 gain stages
Effects Loop
15-watt switch
Made in China

The Rocker has more of a middy vintage sound than the Thunder, which is aimed more at the metal crowd. The Thunder could approximate the sound of an R30, but not match it.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
What do preamps do you use Becky? I noticed, when I still had the TV200, that the cheap Shuguangs were great for Gain, made it tighter. Also, why not the Thunderverb 200? Can double as a Bass amp and sometimes pop up at a very nice, buy-me-now price. I miss that beast.
my friend has a rocker 30 head its pretty sweet. saying that i havn't compared it to a thunder.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
I've got the TH30 head, haven't played the R30 yet, but I can say the cleans are very warm, and versatile.
I use my TH30 for hardcore with clean passages, it does the clean job very well, but it does the heavier stuff good as well.

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Great advice so far thanks.
Becky, I've heard that the thunder 30's clean channel will break up easily enough to become a low gain vintagey channel. Will this work for low gain?
Also, I have an OCD that i can use for low gain.

A good low gain sound for classic rock and blues is integral to me, so please tell me- Will this work?
I have owned the rocker for about a month now.

I really like it. Lovely sound to it. The clean lacks a bit of treble for me and its annoying that it has no eq, but an eq pedal easilly sorts it out.

The overdrive channel is very aggressive and full sounding. Lovely! It has a suprising amount of gain...

The lack of FX loop appeared to be a problem, but after trying my delay etc through the front, is perfectly fine.
I don't think you want to rocker for a nice bluesy sound. I haven't played the R30 but i have played the R50 and it is amazing for balls to the wall rock. i wouldn't use it for anything clean or bluesy.
Would a dual terrorwork better for blues and hard rock than a rocker? and would a thunder be able to pull off vintage tones and blues tones too?
No worries. I'd choose a different amp if I were you for blues. Fender Reverbs have a lovely clean/ slight overdrive...but definatly won't do metal! haha.

I'd get an amp thats got a nice clean and a nice overdrive channel and just use a pedal to get into the metal end...

Someone else will surely be able to guide you to an amp that would suit you here

EDIT: BTW...check out Laney AORs...dirt cheap, nice smooth and gritty clean channel, and roaring overdrive. Will do metal easilly I presume. I don't use it for that, but I'm sure if you needed a slight boost from a pedal, would sounds awesome! Honestly, check them out.
Last edited by moominman2 at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by ananikangel
Great advice so far thanks.
Becky, I've heard that the thunder 30's clean channel will break up easily enough to become a low gain vintagey channel. Will this work for low gain?
Also, I have an OCD that i can use for low gain.

A good low gain sound for classic rock and blues is integral to me, so please tell me- Will this work?

Sure, in the lower wattage modes you should be able to get natural break up at stage volumes easy.

The break ups nice, vintage-y and indie-ish. I use my catalinbread SK for lower gain stuff or my rangemaster. Both work great for beefing it up.

The Laney AORs arent a bad idea, they go for really cheap on ebay and are essentially a higher gain 2203 jcm 800.
Looking at the AOR seems awesome and cheap too does it matter if the head is missing a back panel?