Okay so I'd say I'm a decent guitar player. I have been playing for about 5 years. However, I do not have a whole lot of musically knowledge, I'm going to be selling a lot of my guitar equipment and switch over to bass solely based on the fact that good quality bass players are a need in our area.

So knowing a little bit, where would I begin to really understand a bassists role and what are some good strategies in the position to learn fast?
Keep the best of your gear, since you are good at guitar.

A bass plays along with the drums, in the "rythm" section. a bass' role in a band is to counterbalance the melody with a harmony while also playing the chord.

Most of the time it's root notes or switching between them by hitting intervals of the scale along the way. like in Sweet Chold o Mine it's Db Cb Gb but the bass plays notes other than those to help the chords flow.

there are also cases, Like in Dream Theater that the bass simply copies the guitar but an octave down.

hope this helps
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2010 Fender Highway One strat
2010 Epi Les Paul Standard
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2011 Epiphone Korina Firebird
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Btw You can also play bass with a pick, just in case fingerpicking is hard or uncofortable..
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2010 Fender Highway One strat
2010 Epi Les Paul Standard
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2011 Epiphone Korina Firebird
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
^ Even if you prefer playing with a pick, train your fingers. Learn songs where you don't use a pick at all.
Well, I mean I want to play with my fingers. Do y'all know any good speed bass exercises?
look at stu hamms videos at youtube... he got some cool and not too begginer stuff...

this might help you

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bugera Fire Wall Half Stack
^
if you know your major and minor scales for guitar its the same(only you dont have the B and high E) and listen to you favorite bands and learn songs.
It's just a different approach IMO. Most of your guitar technique should carry over, but the rest is based on context. You're assigned a different sonic space to fill. I'd try connecting with whatever the drummer is playing, tossing in some fills, and going a little more crazy whenever the guitarist is soloing (if he's the only guitarist).
CheapGuitarists.com - new site for the budget minded or beginner guitarist!

"He who hath pizza shall never die in vain" ~ Lord Cheesus Crust
Metallica is good if you wanna learn without a pick and Megadeth is good with a pick. Hope this helps.
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!