First - My original thread was closed because the link didnt work and I was new. I have since messaged with Zakkwyldefan and he okayed reopening or starting a new thread. There is no forum attached, and it is on a free host, thats why the url has "hostei" in it. Im a cheapo, sue me

This is a link and update thread for my page:
http://building.guitarbacktracks.hostei.com/

This page has many tutorials that I have written and documented as I have been working on my builds and run into the "lack-of-tool" issue. I would love and appreciate if other people who have useful tips and workarounds to share would post a write up in this thread, and I can then move it onto the webpage. Pictures are worth 1000 words, although not all my tips have pictures.

Some of them do require tools like a router or belt sander.
Some of them only work on semi-hollow guitars.
Some may not work for certain setups.
These were my workarounds that worked for me, I dont take any responsibility for anyone else trying them and having an issue, but they are mostly simple, and I dont think people should have a problem with any of them.
Many of these were from my first build, and may not be the best way to do it. I will edit/change/add other ways to accomplish them as they come up

If there are any issues on the page, please notify me on here.

- Added 10/07/11: Added Reverse Tone Pot (High Pass Filter)

- Added 9/5/11: Added Fret Install Write-up. Still need to fill in links for: Installing binding, installing tuning machines. Binding section coming soon!

- Added 8/29/11: Added some to Understanding Pots and Switch Wiring. Still need to fill in links for: Installing frets, installing binding, installing tuning machines, and a bit more about pots and switches. Binding section coming soon!

- Added 8/23/11: Added "Making Neck Bolt to Body". Still need to fill in links for: Installing frets, installing binding, installing tuning machines, and Understanding How Switches and Pots are wired.

- Added 8/21/11: Added "Understanding How Pickups are Wired". Added a neat HHS Wiring Diagram! Still need to fill in links for: Installing frets, installing binding, installing tuning machines, making neck bolt to body, and Understanding How Switches and Pots are wired.

- Added 8/15/11: Write up for shaping the neck added. Still need to fill in links for: Installing frets, installing binding, installing tuning machines, making neck bolt to body.

- Added 8/13/11: Write up for gluing fretboard added, and several wiring diagrams. still need to fill in links for: Shaping neck, installing frets, installing binding, installing tuning machines, making neck bolt to body.

- Added 8/12/11: Write up for Installing a truss rod added, and cutting a scarf joint. Links for near future write ups added, but will have dead pages until finished: Shaping neck, gluing fretboard, installing frets, installing binding, installing tuning machines, interesting wiring diagrams, making neck bolt to body.
Last edited by xadioriderx at Oct 8, 2011,
Added the scarf joint write up last night at the end of the night, and just now added gluing up the fretboard.
also added one of my wiring diagrams for an HH setup that has ~46 different tonal options , the most complex one i have, and i listed out tonal options underneath the pic

the rest of the dead pages I havent gotten to on my build yet, but will be soon to come!
Last edited by xadioriderx at Aug 9, 2011,
Planing without a planer is much easier than you described.
Use a plane.
You can pick one up for less than 40 dollars used. I bought a Footprint Jack plane for ten dollars. It works perfect. Of course you need to sharpen the plane iron. That requires a bench grinder and wet stones.
I got a bench grinder for 20 dollars. I'd imagine you could find a deal like that.

In order to get the sides perpendicular to the face, use a shooting board. You can shoot your ends with it as well. For those that don't know, no gunpowder is involved in a shooting board. Google it.

A perfect 4S piece of wood can be had in less than five minutes, providing your tools are sharp and your technique is good.

EDIT:
Using a plane also brings out the wood's grain much better than sanding could ever achieve.
I had a piece of pine which I was sanding, I then decided to try planing it. It had a birdseye figure when sanding but when I used the plane it came out. The wood was beautiful. I didn't know pine could have a birdseye figure before then. I guess it's rare.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Aug 12, 2011,
^^ i actually just really used a hand plane for the first time today. my friend let me borrow 3 of varying sizes, although 2 are too dull to use right now. the one i used is an inch wide, i actually used it to shape my neck.

i hope to get my bigger one sharpened up and get some experience with it!
Last edited by xadioriderx at Aug 12, 2011,
I hate to be anal but a planer and plane are different.
Planers have motors, planes have human power.

Are you sure you didn't use a spokeshave for you neck? It is a plane, just not a conventional one. I can see a Block or Jack plane being very inconvenient for a neck.
sorry, it was a block plane (no r)! it was inconvenient, but i plan on getting a spokeshave tomorrow, just couldnt today. i only was able to shape the middle, not the heel or nut area because of the curvature. its was a very small plane though so i still was able to do quite a bit
You may want to include something about checking your squares to see if they are square and if they aren't, show how to fix them.

It's a simple process really.
It's just a matter of anything with a straight edge, some tape and a knife.

Oddly enough, majority of squares sold are not actually square. Unless they say they are accurate to within one thousand of an inch(.001) they generally aren't square.
My instructor told me that he went through a box of 30 machine squares and checked them for square; only two were square.

I said square a lot.

EDIT: To fix them, you only need a flat surface and some sandpaper. Emery paper is better, but regular sandpaper will work. I prefer using 120 then going up to 160 to get it nice.

Combination squares are a completely different matter though.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Aug 12, 2011,
Quote by timbit2006
You may want to include something about checking your squares to see if they are square and if they aren't, show how to fix them.

It's a simple process really.
It's just a matter of anything with a straight edge, some tape and a knife.

Oddly enough, majority of squares sold are not actually square. Unless they say they are accurate to within one thousand of an inch(.001) they generally aren't square.
My instructor told me that he went through a box of 30 machine squares and checked them for square; only two were square.

I said square a lot.

can you clarify what you mean? i assume youre talking about a square tool? i cant for the life of me figure out how youd check it using tape and a knife

square
By square I mean the measuring tool. Tri-square, machine square, combination square, framing square and a whole shit-ton more.

I have come to a dilemma. This is going to be very hard to explain...

1. Take your piece of plywood or whatever it is that's straight and place it on the edge of a table.
2. Put a piece of tape(Must be opaque.) perpendicular to the plywood.
3. Place your square so the handle(edge) is flat against the edge of the wood.
4. Cut the tape with the knife along the blade of the square.
5. Flip the square over and check if it lines up with the cut.(If you cut on the inside of the square flip it to the left so the outside is on the tape line.

If the blade does not line up with your tape line, the square is not square.
A pencil can be used instead of the tape but I find the tape to be more accurate.

I hope this makes sense. I realize it is very hard to visualize.
how bout just a piece of plywood with a 2x4 attached. put the square against it and draw a line with a pencil, then flip it and check.
easier?

edit: i missed your comment about the pencil lol
Last edited by xadioriderx at Aug 12, 2011,
Also added a new idea, "How pickups are wired". an in depth look at how to wire pickups in series, parallel, in phase, out of phase, and just what the heck all those stupid wires on a humbucker are for!
No link on the page yet to it, and at the bottom it mentions the page about how Switches and Pots are wired. that page is not created yet, maybe tomorrow!
heres the write up for now =)
http://building.guitarbacktracks.hostei.com/pupwiring.html

let me know what you all think!
ugh alright, well i added links to the new "understanding wiring" pages, only one of which is made, i will make the other tonight.
but i think im in need of a site overhaul. the menu is getting too long the way it is. I still also want to add links to info on wood toxicity, stiffness, hardness, etc.

i was trying to stay away from drop-down menus. what do you guys like for a menu?
Quote by xadioriderx

i was trying to stay away from drop-down menus. what do you guys like for a menu?

Drop-down.
yeah i figured that would about be my best option. just means a decent amount more work!
my backtrack page ended up a lot more complex than i had originally planned. im no web designer, so im just learning as i go. unfortunately i dont know how to use style sheets, or if style sheets can act like a template - rather than having to copy paste the menus code on every page.
right now if i want to add a link i have to go to every page and add it by hand (copy/paste)
shoot, heres what the control panel on the site says:

"Server #33 is under the DDOS attack (IP Nullrouted)
We have just received a HUGE (over 3GB/s incoming traffic) DDoS attack targeting the Server #33. Our CISCO guard firewall was unable to handle such attack, so one of the server IP address - [xx.xxx.xxx.xx] was disabled (all the rest websites on this server are working fine).

If your website is using this IP (due to unique IP rotation system only 3% websites are using this IP) it will be unavailable for the next 6 hours. As soon attack will subside, this IP address will be enabled and your website will start working again. We thank you for your patience and understanding."
Quote by xadioriderx
now it says it could be down until saturday! =(
darn free hosting

Why not pay for hosting, it's not that expensive - I pay £11 per year - and won't experience any downtime (apart from the odd couple of hours for server maintenance perhaps once a year).
Quote by KempGuitars
Why not pay for hosting, it's not that expensive - I pay £11 per year - and won't experience any downtime (apart from the odd couple of hours for server maintenance perhaps once a year).

well i wasnt sure how the page would do or if i would take much time on it, so i didnt wanna dive in and then just let it go.
i may pretty soon here give in and pay for it though. im really not very good with webpage stuff, everything ive done pretty much ive learned from google searching and guess and check. i think ive done alright considering but if i start dedicating more time to it i will go ahead and pay for real hosting. or if 000webhost becomes too much of an issue. this is the first problem ive had so far *knock on wood*
Quote by xadioriderx
. im really not very good with webpage stuff

Enter gabby?
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Aug 26, 2011,
absolutely =D
sadly, while the host is down, ftp access is down.
you can login and work directly through 000webhost's site though still. dont know why that is.

if ftp access is still down tomorrow or whenever you want to take a look at it and work on it, let me know and ill get you info to login directly!

im afraid for you to look at it, its a mess no making fun of the way i do things!
Last edited by xadioriderx at Aug 26, 2011,
Trust me... Can't be worse than the last person I did it for :p
Ibanez WD7 Wah
alright, updated and added some to the switch/pot wiring section. decided itd be best to break it down into 4 once you get into it:
Basic Pot Wiring, Basic Switch Wiring, Bringing the Pots and Switch Together, and More Advanced Switch Wirings

the more advanced section is going to get a bit bulky im guessing. i wont do anything with the superswitch though which helps.

let me know what you guys think, if its clear enough!
alright, i added the section about wiring pots and switches together! all i have left on the wiring stuff is the "more advanced" section that will discuss wiring parallel, series, ip, oop, etc. gonna take a while i think...
alright well i got a good chunk of the advanced wiring section done.
it contains phase reversals, series/parallel, coil split, blower switches, kill switches, and combining a series/parallel with a phase reversal.
i will probably add one with ser/par on a humbucker and combining that with a single coil to make it more complex.
and i may take my HH diagram with 46 combos and do a walk-through, because it doesnt get much more complex than that.

what else is there? does it make sense to you guys?
thanks!

quick link: http://building.guitarbacktracks.hostei.com/advancedswitch.html
Last edited by xadioriderx at Aug 31, 2011,
alright, well GABarrie and I have registered a new domain, and will be transferring the stuff i have here to it in new and improved format, as well as expanding and adding a section on tools, and pedals and amps.
He and i will be working together to expand and improve the pages as well. input would be great! what should we add?
we will keep it forum-less, so we can keep it linked here, because this will be the best way to get feedback and ideas.
once we get it built up and ready to go i will leak the page out so yalls can check it out!
for now it will remain as it is in the OP
And the new website would be live if I hadn't spent the week in hospital

I'll get it done ASAP
Ibanez WD7 Wah