Hey guys,

I just ordered a Eminence Red White & Blues and I was wondering if I played several hours of bass on it, could it help to speed up to break in process ?
At what volume ?

Thanks!
Yeah, a guitar speaker isn't designed to withstand the low frequencies a bass puts out. Or something.

This is actually the first time I've ever heard of "breaking in" a speaker...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
It's when you buy a new speaker you have to play for weeks to make it sound good. That's what I heared anyway. Sounds stupid but look up "guitar speaker break in" and you'll see I'm not making this up!
Quote by Zoot Allures
Is this a guitar speaker or a bass speaker? Do not play bass into a guitar speaker or you will ruin it.

Yup. Don't do it.
Quote by alans056
it's a guitar speaker, to go into my Blues Jr.

really???!

Yeah, don't play a bass into a guitar speaker, you might get away with it for a while but they're not designed for that at all so DO NOT play a bass into it. If you wanna break it in then just play your guitar into it like normal, the change of sound is not that huge anyway.
holy sh*** thank god I posted this thread, I was going to do it! Thanks a lot guys
The sound change is not huge ? People said they hated the sound out of the box and then loved it...
take off the word "in" and the answer will be YES
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
take off the word "in" and the answer will be YES

Thats going in my sig.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by alans056
holy sh*** thank god I posted this thread, I was going to do it! Thanks a lot guys
The sound change is not huge ? People said they hated the sound out of the box and then loved it...

That's because you eventually get used to the sound. It's a natural thing, doesn't have anything to do with the equipment you've got. Just your mind.
Man, it won't fit in my sig.

Yeah, don't play a bass through a guitar amp. Just dont.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
K, it will not BLOW UP YOUR AMP. You can do it. Just don't do it for weeks at a time, or turn up the volume very loud. You can still do it, you shouldn't, but you won't just automatically ruin your amp if you play a little bit of bass through it. Only do it a little, and have the volume low.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
You can play bass through any guitar speaker cabs, just don't do it too loud or it will indeed break your speaker. Moderate volume levels are okay though, as long as you can see and hear that your speaker is not struggling.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
It takes less than 5 hours of playing moderately loud to break in a speaker, so get to playing all those metal shred riffs and don't be lazy.

Didn't take me long to break in my WGS V-30. If you are that worried about tone, get a better amp.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
You can play bass through any guitar speaker cabs, just don't do it too loud or it will indeed break your speaker. Moderate volume levels are okay though, as long as you can see and hear that your speaker is not struggling.

they are very manic are they not. it's kinda like saying "don't have unprotected sex or you WILL get aids"...

you hit it on the head Dr.Pain, you'll hear the speaker struggling, it's not like it just falls apart when a 40hz signal hits it.

in fact, while i am not advocating playing bass through guitar cabs, much of this bass-through-guitar-speaker-phobia steams from the hi-fi world where the cone excursion can exceed it's elastic range and break the sorround, this is because of an overhung voice coil design and the speaker can quite literally push itself out it's own basket. guitar speaker generally have 'underhung' voice coils so that it can't push itself past the magnetic gap.

a guitar speaker will be more stressed playing the lower fundamental notes of a bass, could reduce it's life, but you hear symptoms of stress before any damage occurs or it fails.

also, the thicker strings on a bass actually move back and forth a further distance (especially on the attack of the note) and this can also cause stress on guitar speakers with thinner and lighter parts because the 'throw' of the string directly relates to the amplitude of the signal. this can cause the guitar speaker to approach it's excursion limits, which stresses the speaker... again, you'll hear this happen

certain guitar speakers like the celestion G12K-100 or the EVM-12L can handle bass and guitar quite easily.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by gumbilicious
they are very manic are they not. it's kinda like saying "don't have unprotected sex or you WILL get aids"...

you hit it on the head Dr.Pain, you'll hear the speaker struggling, it's not like it just falls apart when a 40hz signal hits it.

in fact, while i am not advocating playing bass through guitar cabs, much of this bass-through-guitar-speaker-phobia steams from the hi-fi world where the cone excursion can exceed it's elastic range and break the sorround, this is because of an overhung voice coil design and the speaker can quite literally push itself out it's own basket. guitar speaker generally have 'underhung' voice coils so that it can't push itself past the magnetic gap.

a guitar speaker will be more stressed playing the lower fundamental notes of a bass, could reduce it's life, but you hear symptoms of stress before any damage occurs or it fails.

also, the thicker strings on a bass actually move back and forth a further distance (especially on the attack of the note) and this can also cause stress on guitar speakers with thinner and lighter parts because the 'throw' of the string directly relates to the amplitude of the signal. this can cause the guitar speaker to approach it's excursion limits, which stresses the speaker... again, you'll hear this happen

certain guitar speakers like the celestion G12K-100 or the EVM-12L can handle bass and guitar quite easily.

Maybe if one out of every two people had aids

But it's still a good general rule to avoid it. It might not ruin the speaker right away, but it could do some damage.
Quote by D&DLover
Maybe if one out of every two people had aids

i am such a drama king
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae