Page 1 of 2
Basically, I'm done with my 15 watt practice amp and have upgraded to a Randall RH50T tube half stack I got for about $350 on craigslist. Everything works fine, and it comes with a channel selector pedal, though the reverb button don't work. I tried playing the beast at the hall of my dad's community center, and like most amps it got pretty noisy and buzzy once it got louder. I really doubt most musicians ever play with just an amp, so I knew that I needed noise suppressors and whatnot.

So, I am making this thread so that I can get the right info on where to start. Basically, I am going to start purchasing pedals pretty soon to accommodate my half-stack and I need your help on where I should start. I already have a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal(battery is dry or dead, though), but I will probably need chorus, delays, suppressors, etc. One concern that I have is that you always here stories of certain pedals "ruining your amp's tone" or whatever, and this rep is often coming from digital effects(basically BOSS, for some reason). I am not really aware of this, so in your suggestions, and elaboration of such would be appreciated.

Now what is my genre, you ask? Metal. What kind? Well, that is pretty tricky, since I play music from classic rock, to metalcore, to some form of electronic rock and even some Periphery stuff(impossible with my budget, I know). Basically, I'm a bit of the more versatile type that is trying his best to avoid the term "one-trick-pony." Apologies if that makes it more complicated, but I'm sure you can all use your best judgement to help me.

What is my price range? Seeing that I have only spent $350 on a tube half-stack, you should know that I am a penny-pincher, and I will probably get my pedals used. Still unsure if I will get all my pedals one by one, or all in one lot. I'm trying to keep the budget under $200, considering I'm a college student who spends all his money on tuition.

tl;dr Given $200, I need the right effects pedals to play metal live with my 50-watt tube half-stack.
To play metal Live, given that you have that half stack , all you need is your guitar (decent pickups help a lot) and a cable from the guitar to the amp.

Delays can be nice on solos, only in the FX loop (if your amp has one) but it's not necessary...
A Noise gate can come in handy, but it's completely unnecessary.
Chorus is not something i would use with a Randall, you need a good clean stereo amp for that... but it's not metal at all.
I think that amp has enough gain so you don't need any distortion pedal.
Reverb is useless for metal/rock, it just makes the whole thing sound muddy

You don't need pedals, just play your guitar like a MAN!
Last edited by Nemui-Kuma at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by Nemui-Kuma
To play metal Live, given that you have that half stack , all you need is your guitar (decent pickups help a lot) and a cable from the guitar to the amp.

Delays can be nice on solos, but it's not necessary...
Chorus is not something i would use with a Randall, you need a good clean stereo amp for that... but it's not metal at all.

Sorry, but there is little to no clarity once I turn my volume near max in a large hall, and you hear too much noise even when you have the hand over the strings. I want there to be a point where my amp is on max distortion and it is near-silent when I am not hitting any strings. Sounds unlikely, but I need something close. Also, I like the sound of the chorus when I play solos, and even if I don't have nice stereo settings, I think I can still pull off a good clean tone. Again, I want to add some electronic elements when I play clean, so it sounds almost like a synth. I believe distortion also adds boost and volume, correct? I may need that for solos or for parts of songs that would need guitar orchestras.

I'm sure with the right tweaking, I can get some nice tones, but I also need more clarity and versatility which is why I requested pedal suggestions.
A couple things to keep in mind with noise in a live hall.

1) You will want to use different tone settings to achieve the same sound you get in a smaller practice space.

2) Keep in mind what your support team (i.e. sound guy/front of house) is bringing to the table. You may have to turn your amp down so that they can mic it and live mix the sound with EQ & Compression before sending it out through the main monitors. This will make it sound way better and less noisy.

All that said, when it comes to pedals it all depends on what effect you're looking for. In general the Electo-Harmonix and MXR product lines are very good. When it comes to Wahs, I'd recommend a manual one over an auto-wah, but I don't know enough to recommend a brand. As for fuzz/OD/distortion, there are many options, including both pedals with their own clipping circuits (and a wide variety of those exist) and signal boosters that will let you crank the gain going into the amp and overdrive the tubes.

As for budgets, you can often find some great deals on Ebay. I just got a pair of pedals valued together at over $300 for $200, and together they provide flange, chorus, slapback delay, filter matrix, and both hard and soft clip distortion that can be run independently or in series.

Mainly, I suggest you do your research, find a good deal online, and save up for quality rather than buying a lot of trash.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Quote by ns9977a

Mainly, I suggest you do your research, find a good deal online, and save up for quality rather than buying a lot of trash.

This thread.
what ns9977a is true.
But keep in mind, you won't get any more clarity with effect, generally effects take away clarity the only exception is maybe the a tube scream, boosting the mids, cutting your bass a little, tightening your tone.

Distortion pedal won't give you any boost in front of the amp, on the overdrive channel, only in the FX loop.

To sound synth like you need an octaver or something like that.

Also on your budget, you can buy a noise gate and a chorus at best

If you want to experiment with effects the you better off with a Multi FX
Like the Digitech rp 350, it has a noise gate, chorus reverb, delay, octaver, etc
overdrive pedal

tubescreamer clones (or similar) can be picked up for ~$50 or so.

that'd be my first stop for brootz.

second stop, noise gate (if you're having problems with noise).

then maybe chorus, delay, wah (depending on which you use/need more).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Nemui-Kuma

Delays can be nice on solos, only in the FX loop (if your amp has one) but it's not necessary...

You don't need pedals, just play your guitar like a MAN!

that last sentence means you lose at life.
mojostompboxes.com
I think that noise you hear is probably microphonic or blown tubes if you're still hearing it even when you dead the strings. Same problem with my 60W combo, since its used check your tubes, then spend $80 and retube it.

Quote by greeny23
that last sentence means you lose at life.

No, it's pretty common to see people who don't need dozens and dozens of pedals. He was simply illustrating that a lot of types of pedals wouldn't really benefit TS, so your juvenile "you lose at life lul!" wasn't really necessary. I play Old Country/Rockabilly, Blues, Classic Rock, and Heavy Metal and only have an EQ pedal between the guitar and the amp. I attain every sound I need by EQ-ing and turning the gain knob.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 8, 2011,
^
No.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by greeny23
False.

+1
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
You said you need pedals. Everyone needs pedals to play guitar, according to you. You don't need pedals to play guitar, I don't use them other than an EQ because of the huge range of styles I play and I enjoy not sounding like hot garbage.

Just because you like pedals does not mean everyone needs them.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by VanTheKraut
You said you need pedals. Everyone needs pedals to play guitar, according to you. You don't need pedals to play guitar, I don't use them other than an EQ because of the huge range of styles I play and I enjoy not sounding like hot garbage.

Just because you like pedals does not mean everyone needs them.

mojostompboxes.com
Before this devolves completely into a pro-pedal/anti-pedal war, I just want to point out that the important thing is tone. There are good tones and bad tones, and often the context is key as to what works and doesn't. Having a solid signature sound is the key, but the methods of achieving that vary from player to player.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Quote by ns9977a
When it comes to Wahs, I'd recommend a manual one over an auto-wah, but I don't know enough to recommend a brand.

+1 to a Wah Pedal. They're so much fun, plus they're incredibly useful.

Brandwise, there are only two "big" Wah Brands; Dunlop and Vox, and they're both based on the exact same circuit. There's only enough differences to color their individual voices.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by greeny23
Pedals are tone.

So are fingers, picks, stings, guitars, cables, amps, DIs, mics, outboard gear, mixing consoles, monitors, and rooms. Don't get me wrong, I love pedals and I've gone a bit crazy lately acquiring new ones, but they are only part of the equation.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
An eq pedal is a great pedal to have when playing live when you don't have time to adjust your amps eq.
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by ns9977a
So are fingers, picks, stings, guitars, cables, amps, DIs, mics, outboard gear, mixing consoles, monitors, and rooms. Don't get me wrong, I love pedals and I've gone a bit crazy lately acquiring new ones, but they are only part of the equation.

Nah, pedals are 90%. They can replace playing ability most of the time.
mojostompboxes.com
umm... ok back to the original ?. first off if you have your amp and gain turned up all the way then you will get noise no way around it even with a noise gate. there comes a point where the amp is just pushed to hard and it amplifies the background noise. there really shouldn't be a reason to turn up your amp much past the half way point volume wise.

as mentioned an overdrive is good to have and will give your amp a little more oomph at managable volumes. delays are great for giving your leads some extra depth and to make some wild sounds if needed. a wah is cool if the songs you play requier one or if you decide that it's for you. that's really the whole thing about fx it's really up to you to decide which ones will add to your sound. some players don't use them at all and some have enormous pedal boards loaded with fx or rack mounted fx set ups. which is right for you can't really say. personally i use an overdrive, wah, delay and a phaser.
Quote by greeny23
Pedals are tone.

Quote by greeny23
Nah, pedals are 90%. They can replace playing ability most of the time.

So... Trolling, right?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

^More like spamming. The guy sells pedal mods. I don't blame him for trying to drum up business, but a little subtlety and digression would go a long way.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Quote by greeny23
Pedals are tone.

noob, doesn't know snakes from dildos abouts tones.

@TS, OD and wah are where i started and looking back, that is a pretty great place to start.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by ns9977a
^More like spamming. The guy sells pedal mods. I don't blame him for trying to drum up business, but a little subtlety and digression would go a long way.

Nice, real nice. That explains it. What an idiot.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Pedals FTW!
smart cats play tubescreamers
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I just plug my guitar into a klon then straight into a mixer and i have the best tone possible
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Gone for 5 hours and this happens. Got some good advice, and perhaps I should consider retubing, but I'm a novice there.

Nonetheless, I would need a versatile sound because you may be as skilled as you claim, but there is no way you can achieve certain chorus effects when you are playing soft clean stuff, and I am leaning towards a chorus pedal now. Besides that, I may also consider getting a board, but that also seems to take a huge chunk out of mu budget. A wah is tempting, but I'm not really into them at the moment. Noise suppressor is a probable must, too. Reverb, I am also considering with and overdrive pedal. I assume my DS-1 serves no justice. From what I hear, it has the same circuitry as a tubescreamer but is cursed with the BOSS name.

So regarding that, I need some names and possible prices.
Quote by Dethonator
Gone for 5 hours and this happens. Got some good advice, and perhaps I should consider retubing, but I'm a novice there.

Nonetheless, I would need a versatile sound because you may be as skilled as you claim, but there is no way you can achieve certain chorus effects when you are playing soft clean stuff, and I am leaning towards a chorus pedal now. Besides that, I may also consider getting a board, but that also seems to take a huge chunk out of mu budget. A wah is tempting, but I'm not really into them at the moment. Noise suppressor is a probable must, too. Reverb, I am also considering with and overdrive pedal. I assume my DS-1 serves no justice. From what I hear, it has the same circuitry as a tubescreamer but is cursed with the BOSS name.

So regarding that, I need some names and possible prices.

You could always build you own board. It's cheaper and you can customize it.

For an od/boost, the digitech bad monkey is a great alternative to the tubescremer. You get more control over the od on the bad monkey than you do on the ts-9. It's cheaper too. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/digitech-dbm-bad-monkey-overdrive-guitar-effects-pedal
Quote by greeny23
^no

Ah that's gay. I wasn't saying no to tubescreamers. That other kid deleted his post or it was deleted by other means. He said that actually amps were 80-90% toan. Can you believe that?

Edit: ^It was that guy!
Last edited by chip46 at Aug 8, 2011,
Many people on this forum say that most of your tone comes from the amp.

I can put it back if you want.
Page 1 of 2