Hey!

I know next to nothing about theory (pentatonic scale, blues scale and power chords and basic chords like A,C,G,D. I don't know any minor or major scales). Still after I look at a tab of a song I think is cool, I find myself playing in the style of that song and I think it's decent even if other people may not (I haven't asked any other people yet).

My main question is do you have to know music theory to write music?

And also: I am actually planning to learn loads of theory, but I don't know where to start ... should I start with scales? Also tabs of scales always confuse me... I have looked at the scale of C major and I wonder: Can I use the same scale starting from another fret all over the fretboard? Is it called something else or is other major scales totally different from the C major?

Thanks!
Quote by carlos_almighty
You just wanna try it? My philosophy is, "If it makes you curious, try it at least once."

Also: "Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted!"
Quote by ThrashLife
Hey!

I know next to nothing about theory (pentatonic scale, blues scale and power chords and basic chords like A,C,G,D. I don't know any minor or major scales). Still after I look at a tab of a song I think is cool, I find myself playing in the style of that song and I think it's decent even if other people may not (I haven't asked any other people yet).

And also: I am actually planning to learn loads of theory, but I don't know where to start ... should I start with scales? Also tabs of scales always confuse me... I have looked at the scale of C major and I wonder: Can I use the same scale starting from another fret all over the fretboard? Is it called something else or is other major scales totally different from the C major?

Thanks!

There is no real need to learn music theory, but it certainly can't hurt to learn.

As for the scale question.... the pattern for the major/minor scales is the same anywhere on the neck, but the name of the scale will be the note that the scale starts on.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
I would say in terms of writing, for most people, music theory has done little for them.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Learning music theory will be very useful unless you plan on playing primitive punk. You can write simple songs with simple chords without it but anything more complex would be very time-consuming without the knowledge of theory.

This is a good starting point to learning theory: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html

Learning that stuff doesn't happen overnight, so be prepared to read some of that stuff several times. Just keep your enthusiasm up and you will be rewarded. Music theory > sex. I guess.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Okay, thanks for your answers ... I'm not saying I won't learn theory. I just happen to think that I can create decent things without it too :P
Quote by carlos_almighty
You just wanna try it? My philosophy is, "If it makes you curious, try it at least once."

You're problem is easily explained with these math thingies.
number 1:x(5-3)=2x
number 2: 2x=x(5-3)
x(5-3) means song.
2x means music theory.
Number 1 explains how music theory was developed, what people often did to make it sound good.
Number 2 explains how some people use music theory, you use things that people often did to make it sound good.
Quote by ThrashLife

NO, you do not.

but If you're going to learn it anyway, why even ask a question like this?
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by GuitarMunky
NO, you do not.

but If you're going to learn it anyway, why even ask a question like this?

Because remembering it all and getting good at it is not a guarantee for me :P And I find myself giving things up easily no matter how passionate I am about it xD That being said, I don't think I can make a living out of music even if that's my dream O.o If I am being realistic I highly think I have to make a living out of something else, but having music as a hobby.
Quote by carlos_almighty

Last edited by ThrashLife at Aug 8, 2011,
Just start leaning theory and let it take you where it takes you and see for yourself if it is any help to you. simple as that.

If you plan on learning theory I HIGHLY suggest you order Doug Marks Metal Method Theory lessons. You MUST get the new version and old one. TRUST ME you will be like "WOW this makes sense" . He will lay you a good foundation for theory in which you can expand on.

And check out the greatest website ever created

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chord_name.php

this is a great resource for chords and scales
Last edited by Appetite_4_GNR at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by Appetite_4_GNR
Just start leaning theory and let it take you where it takes you and see for yourself if it is any help to you. simple as that.

If you plan on learning theory I HIGHLY suggest you order Doug Marks Metal Method Theory lessons. You MUST get the new version and old one. TRUST ME you will be like "WOW this makes sense" . He will lay you a good foundation for theory in which you can expand on.

And check out the greatest website ever created

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chord_name.php

this is a great resource for chords and scales

Think I'm going to follow your first advice and see where it takes me! Might maybe buy those dvd's...

Thanks!
Quote by carlos_almighty

Quote by vampirelazarus
There is no real need to learn music theory, but it certainly can't hurt to learn.

This is only correct in the same sense that there is no need to play guitar.
For music theory, I highly recommend the Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory.. though it is not aimed towards guitar, it teaches everything in a simple, systematic way. You would really only have to familiarize yourself with a fretboard diagram to know where the notes are all on the neck.
Also, getting back to playing scales.. you'll notice the pattern. If you learn all of the notes on the guitar neck and take a C scale for instance.. you'll see that You have C D E F G A B and then it just repeats over and over again. Now if you just move it all up a whole step, you have the same pattern, just a different set of notes.. so the note you start on, D in this case, is now the scale you're playing. So you are right in thinking you can play the same pattern over the neck and it will be the same TYPE of scale (major, minor, modes) by a different key.

I love knowing music theory.. it really helps to analyze what you are playing and helps speed some things along. However, I believe having a good ear is far more important, which I assume you have if you can mold your playing to different styles. If you have a good ear, you can hear things in your head that you could figure out by theory.. and again..music theory is just a theory. Knowing it does not make you a good composer or musician by any means.
what should i learn first if i want to play music like papa roach, limpbizkit, faktion, snd other nu metal band...

thx...
Quote by ThrashLife
Hey!

Thanks!

No, but then do you really want to be like this guy?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469122

Best,

Sean