So i dont really understand jazz style theory. I understand that jazz composition soloing is often based around chord notes instead of traditional in or out of key and can contain lots of accidentals.

So if i am writing a jazz tune in Cmaj and i know it is Cmajor Dminor Eminor Fmaj G Maj etc can i just add any added notes to these eg can i write a tune Cmaj7 Eminor add 11, Fmaj9flat5. And would i solo with the notes within these chords rather than lookin at scales?
Any help greatly appreciated!
1. Yes, you could apply those extensions.
2. jazz players often use arpeggiations of chords because it is relevant to the song, and is thus much more musically relevant. However, you can play scales if you want to: the only jazz I really play outside of rhythm (I am predominantly a rhythm player as I find it much more enjoyable) is gypsy jazz, and I do just fine using scales more than I do arpeggios.

Hope this helps.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
i was writing a really nice, long and insightful reply... then i noticed you started the same thread twice . See, now this is what you get.
ø

*MISC CREW*

e-mail me

Originally Posted by OneOfaKind
ø

Quote by Cocolate
i was writing a really nice, long and insightful reply... then i noticed you started the same thread twice . See, now this is what you get.

sorry im on a dodgy connection.