Does any body know any players (preferably fast players) who angle the pick backwards so that is is angled towards the bridge. Pretty much everyone ive founds so far uses the standard way.
Shawn Lane - not a bad picker to say the least.
Paul Gilbert used to play that way back in the day but he then changed to the 'normal' way.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
Can you post pictures of the "normal" and "backwards" ways? I'm not sure what you mean.
If a pizza has a radius of "Z" and a height of "A" it has a volume of pi(z)(z)(a)
paul gilbert does or use to i'm not sure and he is probably one of the fastest picker's there is.
Why do you want to know this out of interest?
Quote by shredfan
Why do you want to know this out of interest?

Ive been picking that way for over a year now and was considering changing to the 'normal' way but im really comfortable with picking that way but at the same time worried that it will cause a barrier down the line. Thats why im looking for confirmation that this picking technique has the potential to go fast
Quote by mrbabo91
Ive been picking that way for over a year now and was considering changing to the 'normal' way but im really comfortable with picking that way but at the same time worried that it will cause a barrier down the line. Thats why im looking for confirmation that this picking technique has the potential to go fast

Yes it does. Like I said, Lane picked that way and he certainly had no problems in the speed department.

Depending on which way you angle the pick, either your upstrokes or your downstrokes will be put at a slight disadvantage. I think if you angle the pick your way, the upstrokes will have the advantage, but I could be wrong on that. For that reason I toyed with the idea of changing to pick like Lane, as my upstrokes aren't as strong as my downstrokes. At the end of the day though, both picking styles can work well.
Quote by mrbabo91

I did,
it hold me back
I changed.

It's a lot more "confortable" and switching is feeling weird, at least. Lost a lot of speed at first but the precision was waaaayyy better even at first.

It took me about a month to feel better and be back at the speed I was before. The speed and precision hasn't stop growing since! IMHO, best move I made!

Before I had to do "master of puppet" in alternate. Now I play it the "real" way, downpicking only. It's faster, more precise and cleaner!

Leave it "time" to settle and you won't go back! :P
Last edited by t1mman at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by shredfan
Yes it does. Like I said, Lane picked that way and he certainly had no problems in the speed department.

Depending on which way you angle the pick, either your upstrokes or your downstrokes will be put at a slight disadvantage. I think if you angle the pick your way, the upstrokes will have the advantage, but I could be wrong on that. For that reason I toyed with the idea of changing to pick like Lane, as my upstrokes aren't as strong as my downstrokes. At the end of the day though, both picking styles can work well.

Are you sure lane picked that way ? Ive heard others say different.

I may just work on picking both ways.
Quote by mrbabo91
Are you sure lane picked that way ? Ive heard others say different.

I may just work on picking both ways.

Trust me, I don't get stuff like this wrong.

Shawn talks about his picking angle at around 8:00 in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEzvifhKnEo
Oh yes. you are correct

many thanks. Do you know if marty friedman picks like that ? His picking hand looks too wierd for me to tell
Mark McGuigan fropm mastertheguitar.co.uk and Graham "Pin" Pinney from Sikth are the two that I can think of off the top of my head and they both have incredible chops.

If you can make it work for you then there's no reason to change, it can get a bit tense in the hand so watch out for that and make sure you can do things like pinch harmonics but as long as you keep those things in mind it'll be fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I read in Guitar Player a few years ago that John Fogerty, one of my personal faves, plays with the pick backwards. I've tried it and like the tone I get but it feels awkward to me. I can get a similar tone by using a thicker pick.
I'm doing both styles. When tremolo picking, I probably always use the backwards way. I'm however trying to get better at the normal way, which I actually find to have no particular effect but still... I'm improving on it, so yeah.

Also, when shredding, I often pick the bottom strings the normal way, then as I progress to the 4th, 5th and 6th string, I kinda lean backwards.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

after reading this I realized I play 'backwards' as well. It's very comfortable and my precision is very high as well as speed. Do whats comfortable for you man
Kay, so I read this topic because I'm trying to experiment with my picking technique. I've used essentially the same technique for the 6+ years I've been playing. I've spent tons of time on my alternate picking hoping to get some of those quick chops. But it hasn't been working out. One of the things that a lot of people seem to think is "bad" technique is pinching the pick as if you're pulling something out. So I've been changing that to holding it with the pick resting on the side of my index finger while my thumb holds it in place.

But once I started doing that, I noticed that it became awkward to alternate pick my normal way with the thumb angled up towards me. But when I tried changing it so the thumb was angled towards the ground, it felt much better.

Before I start working on it more, I wanted to know if anyone knows of any bad-effects having the thumb angled towards the ground can have on my playing. Any help would be appreciated.
Paul Gilbert did it because he likes to sound of scratching the strings but he can play in both ways
Tosin Abasi has a pretty extreme backward angle on his picking technique, and he's also pretty fast.