I just met this guy while I was at work who appears to be a throat cancer patient survivor. In order for him to talk he has to pull this tab like device at the bottom of his neck and it sounds like it releases air and while the air is being released he gets out his sentence. It's not a voice modulation device and it is difficult to understand him. Does anybody know what it is called? I have been searching online and can't seem to find anything. I have never seen anything quite like it and am a bit curious.

P.S. I quit smoking yesterday after I met him.
Mechanical larynx?
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by Gorelord666
Mechanical larynx?

Kind of similar. The thing is it doesn't appear to be mechanical. When he pulls the tab you can hear air being released and his voice kind of meshes with the air. It's really unusual and hard for me to describe.
Quote by K Reyn
Kind of similar. The thing is it doesn't appear to be mechanical. When he pulls the tab you can hear air being released and his voice kind of meshes with the air. It's really unusual and hard for me to describe.

Then I'm not really sure that's the first thing that came to mind.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by JackalUK

A third method is called esophageal speech. The speaker pushes air into the esophagus and then pushes it back up, articulating speech sounds to speak. This method is time-consuming and difficult to learn and is seldom used by laryngectomees.[4]

Dude this is it! Thanks for the help sir. I am now going to indulge in some research.
Quote by K Reyn
I quit smoking

Quitter.... keep it up, though, man.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677