View poll results: Would you?
Yes, they should not be treated differently than others
29 42%
No, they are your parents and that isn't right
19 28%
Kick your dad's ass
21 30%
Voters: 69.
So, yesterday, my dad started a fight with me, which I eventually got annoyed at him being a dick so I told him to **** off, which resulted in him threatening me (I'm almost 20 so there is no real child abuse going on here). I then tell him if he touches me, I would press charges, which then he threatened me in a more explicit manor. First of all, that is stupid, because so many people do this, as if it would intimidate someone into not pressing charges, rather than dig themselves into a deeper hole. But it ended there.

Anyway, a lot of people I know think it is wrong to press charges against one of your parents. I disagree, I believe if it is something you would do to another person, your parents should be no different.

Pit, would you press charges against a parent?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Probably not. But I wouldn't get myself in that situation anyways..
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
Maybe. My dad threatens me all the time to get his way. There comes a point when I don't want to be manipulated any more. That point probably won't come till I don't have to depend on him for things, lol.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I absolutely would if I needed to. I wouldn't do it for something trivial, but if it was legitimate, definitely.
Quote by D&DLover
I absolutely would if I needed to. I wouldn't do it for something trivial, but if it was legitimate, definitely.

If they're plotting to kill you...or something extreme that is completely unsolvable by talking....then press charges or kick ass
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
If you're 20 and you are living at home cause you need parental support, then you should live by their rules while your in their home. Otherwise just move out, none of this pressing charges bs.
Just because they are your parents doesn't mean they own you.
Check out my band Disturbed
Well, you may press charges, but he'll make sure you regret it for the rest of your life. I know my dad would, but I actually respect my parents, and I'm not a dick to them because I'm selfish, and disrespectful.

So no, I wouldn't press charges against my parents for threats, that's just stupid, their your parents. And plus, our society is way to sue happy for stupid things like this...it's pathetic.
I would. I don't care who they are.

Edit: Not in this situation though. I don't think I'd press charges on anybody just for threatening me.
If the circumstances were extreme enough, sure.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
People ITT don't seem to realize that TS's dad threatened to hurt him, and TS said that if his dad hurt him, he would press charges over that, not that he would press charges for his dad threatening him.

OT: If they tried to physically hurt me, fuck yes. Otherwise, nope. Insignificant shit like what people say ain't even worth my time, much less the laws time.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
well you're 20 so you're beyond the age of your dad kicking your ass to legitimately teach you a lesson. I guess the real question is do you want to get the courts into your family matters and thereby perhaps irreparably damage your relationship with your parents?
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
At my current age, no, because then I'd have nowhere to live. But at your age, I would if it became serious enough.
Quote by DonGlover
If the circumstances were extreme enough, sure.

this
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, you may press charges, but he'll make sure you regret it for the rest of your life. I know my dad would, but I actually respect my parents, and I'm not a dick to them because I'm selfish, and disrespectful.

So no, I wouldn't press charges against my parents for threats, that's just stupid, their your parents. And plus, our society is way to sue happy for stupid things like this...it's pathetic.

All I said was to **** off, a deserving comment for the way he was acting, and he threatened to beat the shit out of me. Give respect to those who give it to you, he wasn't respecting me so I made a "disrespectful" comment, there is no need for threats, he was the one being a baby. Also, I said I would only press charges if he hit me, not for the threats, I'm not an idiot.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I've been hit by my dad many times when he's had too much to drink. Never pressed charges, I just hit him back. A couple of times we've really come to blows, but once he's sobered up we forgive each other and get on with it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I also misunderstood. I promise that I read the whole post before responding. I must suck at reading.
Quote by shadow__666
I've been hit by my dad many times when he's had too much to drink. Never pressed charges, I just hit him back. A couple of times we've really come to blows, but once he's sobered up we forgive each other and get on with it.

I prefer being more civilized about it. I couldn't kick his ass if I wanted to anyway.

To Slipknot5678^It's all good, just wanted to clear it up, which doomded did already

^I don't mean to pull the toddler age "he started it" card, but...
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Last edited by Gibson_SG_uzr55 at Aug 8, 2011,
Depending on where you live, you probably have grounds to press charges anyways. Violent threats can be considered minor assault in a lot of places in the US.

I would press charges if my parents were abusive or whatever. It would be incredibly difficult, because I love them, but I'm not doing anyone favors by letting them continue with that behavior.
No, its the least i can do since they did have me and all. I'd rather just make their life hell myself
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by ethan_hanus

They're*

Also, so ****ing what? That doesn't make it right for them to threaten you. That makes it even worse if anything, you'd expect some idiot on the street to do it but your parents should be looking out for you.
My parents have been really good to me for my entire life, so I wouldn't press charges for the one time they slipped up.
Parents threaten kids all the time.

I'm not going to make a thread and cry everytime my Mom says,"I brought you into this world and I can take you out."
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
My real parents are pretty docile. My stepfather is a world class cunt though, and there's been many a day where I almost wished he'd push his luck over the edge so I'd have an excuse to fuck him up oh-so badly. Since I don't live at his place any more it probably won't happen now anyway.
Quote by CrunchyRoll
Parents threaten kids all the time.

I'm not going to make a thread and cry everytime my Mom says,"I brought you into this world and I can take you out."

That specific threat is rendered moot, he used it so much. More like "I will punch out every last ****ing one of your bloody teeth"
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Sounds like someone's got daddy issues. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you made a decision against their will, and then argued about it.

Guess what? You're a 20 year old living in you're parents house. You have no more right to be disrespectful to your parents and not comply with their guidelines than you did when you were 12. Unless you have the financial resources and the intelligence to take care of your self in this world starting tomorrow, Quit bitching and act like an adult.

I say this from experience too, I got arrested last year, and you better believe I straightened out pretty damn quick and paid my parents back every cent of $5000 worth of legal fees and court costs within 8 months.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
**** no.

If my parents are in jail, I'm ****ed

this

Plus, I'm fond of my parents
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by mattocaster99
Sounds like someone's got daddy issues. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you made a decision against their will, and then argued about it.

Guess what? You're a 20 year old living in you're parents house. You have no more right to be disrespectful to your parents and not comply with their guidelines than you did when you were 12. Unless you have the financial resources and the intelligence to take care of your self in this world starting tomorrow, Quit bitching and act like an adult.

I say this from experience too, I got arrested last year, and you better believe I straightened out pretty damn quick and paid my parents back every cent of $5000 worth of legal fees and court costs within 8 months.

Actually, the opposite. He said I should gradually move into back into school throughout the week, and when I suggested that isn't the plan I had in mind, he threw a fit. He's not helping me either way, so it shouldn't matter to him.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I would've literally touched you, just to be annoying.

EDIT: This kind of stuff happens all the time in the heat of the moment. My grandpa screamed "**** you" at my cousin (my grandpa is the only father figure he's had basically) as he was being dragged away to a police car. In the moment, i'm sure he wholeheartedly meant "**** you," but once everybody was calm, he regretted it and just wanted to illustrate his frustration at my cousin.

Irrational things come when anybody is super emotional, so unless it was a recurring thing, I wouldn't press charges.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by bradulator
I would've literally touched you, just to be annoying.

Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing