Just got it a week ago. But it's not really "fret" buzz, it's more like "open" buzz. It only makes weird sounds when I play open strings (Standard Tuning), more specifically the high E and G strings. I tried adjusting the action but it made no difference.

I'm not very experienced with troubleshooting with guitars, and i'm afraid of screwing my new guitar up, so does anybody have an idea of what I should do?
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Strings can still buzz when the strings are open. Maybe you just need a truss rod adjustment?
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I have the same proble on my Low E and A strings. I will watch this closely. 0_0
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

As for do it yourself stuff have you tried adjusting the action? Hard to hurt anything doing this. Since it is new have you thought about taking it back or at least asking the shop you bought it from if they'd be willing to check it out for free.
Problem could be with the nut, truss rod, or bridge saddles. Does it have a Floyd Rose?
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
It has nothing to do with the action guys, i've raised and lowered it a million times and it's not working :/

but I haven't tried anything with the trussrod, mainly because I don't know what i'm doing.

And no, no floyd rose.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Sometimes it's from the springs in the back if you have a floyd, or their not in the saddle correctly. Other times it can be from a loose tuning peg.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Then it's probably just because your strings are too low near the nut.

Also, Don't worry about messing up your truss rod, it's no big deal really, just quarter turns, until there's a slight bow in the neck, just enough so when you fret the first and last frets, there should be just a little gap from the string and the frets near the 7-9-12th fret.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Aug 9, 2011,
I'll try adjusting it, hope this works.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Quote by Ragu35
J But it's not really "fret" buzz, it's more like "open" buzz. It only makes weird sounds when I play open strings ...

not really fret buzz...? is it more of a vibration/rattle type of sound?

did you buy new or used? if you bought it new, take it back.
Quote by rebar71
not really fret buzz...? is it more of a vibration/rattle type of sound?

did you buy new or used? if you bought it new, take it back.

It makes like a rattling/vibration sound when I play open strings, but as soon as I play fretted notes it disappears.

I'm actually not sure... It looked used when I bought it but the salesman insisted it was new, which kinda screwed me over.

But if the truss rod doesn't do anything i'll try to take it over.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Quote by Ragu35
It makes like a rattling/vibration sound when I play open strings, but as soon as I play fretted notes it disappears.

You're going need to listen to it very carefully to determine where it's coming from. put your ear to potential locations until you locate it. bridge, nut, tuning pegs... i suspect it's somewhere in the headstock area if it goes away when you fret the string.

if you just bought it a week ago, you should have some recourse with the store where you purchased it. especially if it was sold as new.
I had a similar problem with my Fender jazz bass. no buzz or noise when I fretted a note, it only happened when the strings were played open.
I will put money on it being the nut. The way you can tell is pluck the string and hold the guitar to your ear, If the noise is anywhere along the first fret to fifth fret then it is the nut.

Try tearing a tiny piece of paper, balling it up and place it in the nut cut out, under the string and see if this eliminates the string noise. If the string noise is diminished then a new nut is in order.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
OKAY GUYS THIS IS IMPORTANT.

I strummed it a bunch of times and held it up to my ear, and I believe the rattling/buzzing sound is coming from the bridge. Or at least around that area somewhere. What do I do?
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
obviously, check for anything loose on the bridge.

you haven't told us what kind of bridge it has - only that it's not a floyd.

i still say if it's new - or was sold to you as new - take it back.
I think its a TOM bridge. And the only weird thing i've seen is that my high E "clicks" when I bend it near the bridge, but now that nearly ALL of my strings have started buzzing I don't think that's the problem.

Do you guys think just a change of strings might help it out? I'm using the stock 9's that i bought it with. If that doesn't work i'll take it back to the shop and see what I can do to fix it.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013