Budget - (500USD) is a solid amount on a head.

Genres? - thrash metal, blues, neo classical, 80's heavy metal,shred

New or Used? - used is perfectly ok

Home or Gig? - Eventually both.

Closest City? - Chicago

Current Gear? - in the sig.

More INFO: i'm looking for a low wattage valve amp ( 20 watts or a little more so 20-30) i finally got that double the watts isn't double the loudness..so why would i pay for a 100w head when i don't need one? even 50w? The amp MUST have an FX as i do have some pedals.... reverb would be nice but can be taken care of with a pedal ...must have good amount of gain....i do have a tube screamer 808 modded overdrive. so if its on the edge it's nothing the 808 can't handle. thanks! hows the black-star ht-20(i maybe able to find one on craigslist)? I'm also looking for hidden jems maybe an amp that went out of production but is great? i dunno that's why i'm asking you guys.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Aug 8, 2011,
How about a Jet City JCA2012HS Half Stack? 20 Watts with a 1x12 cab.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-JET-JCA2012HS-LIST

This one is only 15 watts, but I think it'd cut it. The Blackheart BH15H with a 1x12 ext. cab.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BLA-BH15H-LIST
The Blackheart 1x12 is $150 new.
sadly the jet city doesn't have an FX loop which i was depressed about cause i was looking at that amp......
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Carvin x100b
used Peavey JSX
used Peavey XXX
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Indeed you're right.. The Blackheart don't either.. I must have missed that part of your post.. If you're looking for just a head, you can check out the Blackheart BH100.. 30,50,60,100 watts switchable between pentode and triode.

EDIT: AND it's 500 NEW
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BLA-BH100H-LIST
Quote by stonyman65
Carvin x100b
used Peavey JSX
used Peavey XXX

i guess you didn't read the part about low wattage?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by kutless999
This one does http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-amps/ht-20.html but it's a little pricey.

yes i know about the blackstar i can find it for way less on ebay/c-list though, so its do-able.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
theres the new orange dark terror amp

has the effects loop, seems pretty versatile, not sure on the price yet tho and its only 15/7w
ohhh thats sexy..to bad itd be really hard to find one used.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
i guess you didn't read the part about low wattage?

You are not really going to get "metal" tones out of low wattage tube amps IMHO. Just not enough in the power section. That's why most people use 50-100w amps with a master volume so they do have that power, but can play at lower levels.

Either way, for a low wattage amps, I would look at the Peavey Classic 30.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
You are not really going to get "metal" tones out of low wattage tube amps IMHO. Just not enough in the power section. That's why most people use 50-100w amps with a master volume so they do have that power, but can play at lower levels.

Either way, for a low wattage amps, I would look at the Peavey Classic 30.

oh really?i don't think that's any true. 20w overdriven is a lot of power. It doesn't matter how many total watts it just matters if its cranked.....why would i buy a 50w and not be able to crank it...thus low wattage tube amp...

EDIT: how about this..? what if i just got the JCA20H but in the modded section its only 349.99 for a effects loop with it. i haven't seen the price on the JCA22H...i just looked and it said the amp has hit the USA...it says...call your favorite retailer and ask for it.......... -.-
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
oh really?i don't think that's any true. 20w overdriven is a lot of power. It doesn't matter how many total watts it just matters if its cranked.....why would i buy a 50w and not be able to crank it...thus low wattage tube amp...

One word; headroom. The genres you want to play use preamp OD, not power.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
GoodOl'trashbag]oh really?i don't think that's any true. 20w overdriven is a lot of power. It doesn't matter how many total watts it just matters if its cranked.....why would i buy a 50w and not be able to crank it...thus low wattage tube amp...

^This made me lol

Check one of these out its my favorite lower wattage amp thats capable of the metalz

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Krank-Rev-Jr--Pro-20W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-105142863-i1409860.gc
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by tubetime86
One word; headroom. The genres you want to play use preamp OD, not power.

i am 500000% sure that...a JCA 20 w amp with an 808 boost..or by itself can play metal....they have quite some gain on tap...as for the blackstar...i could easily boost that also...distortion isn't really an issue here...im not trying to get the br00tal high gain drop C distortion....
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
GoodOl'trashbag]oh really?i don't think that's any true. 20w overdriven is a lot of power. It doesn't matter how many total watts it just matters if its cranked.....why would i buy a 50w and not be able to crank it...thus low wattage tube amp...

^This made me lol

Check one of these out its my favorite lower wattage amp thats capable of the metalz

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Krank-Rev-Jr--Pro-20W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-105142863-i1409860.gc

ehh....not to into krank.... i'm talking about 80's thrash metal..not nu-metal. that shit blows ass.

EDIT: as for the HT-40 guy im looking for a head...because..i can run it into any cab i want...i'm not looking for a combo. If i can find out where to buy a jca22h...i would seriously consider it.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
i am 500000% sure that...a JCA 20 w amp with an 808 boost..or by itself can play metal....they have quite some gain on tap...as for the blackstar...i could easily boost that also...distortion isn't really an issue here...im not trying to get the br00tal high gain drop C distortion....

I said headroom... Which has nothing to do with how much gain an amp has. It means that to have a tight, focused distortion you can't have your power tubes overdriving which a 20w power section will pretty quickly. For the older style metal it wouldn't be the end of the world, but for anything modern its not gonna work well.

Either way if you plan on gigging in a metal band I wouldn't go less than 50w.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by tubetime86
I said headroom... Which has nothing to do with how much gain an amp has. It means that to have a tight, focused distortion you can't have your power tubes overdriving which a 20w power section will pretty quickly. For the older style metal it wouldn't be the end of the world, but for anything modern its not gonna work well.

Either way if you plan on gigging in a metal band I wouldn't go less than 50w.

why can't i have the power tubes overdriving whats the problem there? yes i dont play any metal core...or nu-metal....

EDIT: also another question...is this true? Some guy in a GC review, reviewed the ht-20 combo and said it only has "x" # of preamp tubes so some of the distortion will be solid state ( i believe that X was 2 preamp valves) Is that true that some will be solid state...i think thats firmly bullshit. I'm just asking though
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Basically, headroom is how loud an amp can get before it gets distorted.

If the tubes distort too quick on a low wattage amp, you won't have a tight enough distortion. For metal, you will usually need an amp that has power and a good, tight distortion.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
why can't i have the power tubes overdriving whats the problem there? yes i dont play any metal core...or nu-metal....

EDIT: also another question...is this true? Some guy in a GC review, reviewed the ht-20 combo and said it only has "x" # of preamp tubes so some of the distortion will be solid state ( i believe that X was 2 preamp valves) Is that true that some will be solid state...i think thats firmly bullshit. I'm just asking though

The ht-20 is a hybrid amp, which means it has tubes and ss electronics.
Quote by kutless999
The ht-20 is a hybrid amp, which means it has tubes and ss electronics.

then why the **** is it classified as an all tube amp.

...ridiculous
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Well, it has ss electronics and 2 tubes, so it's a hybrid.