Doing research on my future buys

I want to play metal, mainly from heavy to power, so think Iron Maiden, Metallica, Kamelot, Angra, Nightwish

As much as I listen to these bands, I'm too much of a noob to actually tell how extensive their tremolo use is. My current guitar has a tremolo, so if say, a trem will be useless in 90% of their songs I'll probably just get a fixed bridge for convenience and use my N2 when I need the trem. On the other hand, if I will be using it a lot, I might as well get one.

Also, what happens when you want to play something that uses a trem but your guitar doesn't have one? Ignore it? Pedal?

While I'm here...I haven't been using the trem on my N2 very much, so I'm thinking about blocking the trem on it so I can try different tunings on it without the hassle of worrying about the springs. When changing tunings, when should I start to worry about adjusting the truss rod? Full-step? Half-step?

TL;DR : would I need a trem to play those band bolded above?

Thanks!
Trems are always good. If you think you will need one, then get a guitar with a trem.

Also, if you install a tremol-no unit, you can downtune and do all that stuff without going out of tune or having to do another setup. I know the guy who makes them and they are worth every cent. http://www.tremol-no.com/
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
To be honest, a floating trem (floyd rose) is a total pain in the arse to maintain. Sure, the awesome dives and pullups and whammy harmonics and wicked fast vibrato and moody subtle vibrato are great, but the tuning and setup and lubrication of the trem posts and the restringing just get on your tits almost immediately.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
To be honest, a floating trem (floyd rose) is a total pain in the arse to maintain. Sure, the awesome dives and pullups and whammy harmonics and wicked fast vibrato and moody subtle vibrato are great, but the tuning and setup and lubrication of the trem posts and the restringing just get on your tits almost immediately.

Not if you know how to do it right...
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by NakedInTheRain

Or you can take the time to learn what each adjustment is going to do, and what it's going to pull out of alignment. Once you understand it, and learn it, it's amazing. I can re-string my guitar with a Floyd Rose almost as fast as my hardtail. The only time it takes longer to re-string, is when I take all the strings off at once to completely clean everything. Having a floating trem is 100% worth it.

Quote by stonyman65
Not if you know how to do it right...

+100
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Aug 8, 2011,
I play a style quite close to your and i have both a fixed bridge guitar and a floyd rose or floating trem guitar. Each one has its advanatges and disadvantages. The fix bridge is pretty straight forward you can change tunings, string types etc, with very little problems and don't need to be constantly setup. While a floating bridge you more or less have to pick a string type and a tuning type and stick with it. To tune a floyd rose from scratch is like tuning 100 fixed bridge guitar but once you lock the nut you'll never have to tune it until you string. Floyds let you do fun tricks which to be honest aren't necessary to copy a song but make it that much more close and realistic. And as stated you can always block the trem too for diversity. They both work great but are both diffrent it is really up to you but i will say i love my floyd rose guitar.
Quote by stonyman65
Trems are always good. If you think you will need one, then get a guitar with a trem.

Also, if you install a tremol-no unit, you can downtune and do all that stuff without going out of tune or having to do another setup. I know the guy who makes them and they are worth every cent. http://www.tremol-no.com/

Yeah, if I were to block it I'd use the Tremol-No.

It's just that, I don't know if I'll need a trem because I don't know how present it is my kind of songs. How present is it?
Tbh I got a guitar with a trem because I see myself as the kind of dickhead that would use it non-stop in every single song rather than picking it based on the songs I'm going to play. Do you like using the trem? Do you want to learn how to use one properly? If that's a yes than get one. If not, don't. Hope that helped
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Well, seeing as how the trem and wah pedal are Kirk Hammett's favorite toys, youd use it quite a bit for Metallica As for the other bands, I dont listen to them much so im not sure. But I say go ahead and get one, learn how to set it up properly, and youll have a lot of fun with it. Plus, if you ever decide you dont wanna use it, just tune up to E standard, stick a block in the trem, and you can downtune as you please. I do that occasionally with my Ibanez and it works fine.
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
its all preference. having a double locking trem will be great for staying in tune if your serious bends as well as pulls and dives with the trem but it can also be a pain if your not used to restringing and changing tunings. i use a hard tail for alternate tunings and then keep a floyd guitar in one tuning. just makes life easy. so i would say if you already have a hard tail then there is no issue with getting a floyd
I would recommend getting a guitar with a trem. It's really adds a lot to Nightwish leads. It's also useful for Iron Maiden and Metallica.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hi
both of my guitars and one that my gf owned had double floating tremolo. now I am considering buying other guitar for cheap, but not sure, because it has no tremolo.

The tremolo is hard to set up at first and if you want to "take the guitar, sit, tune and play in twenty secs" the hardtail is good choice.

On other side, I have not tried the tremol-no, but with this, it would be great I guess.

I just warn you, if you want to have a guitar with good tremolo unit that will hold for many years or whole life (main plate, other components are realatively cheap), you have to spend quite a lot of money, because cheaper units are often very unstable, and broke in few years or months.

By good units, it means original Kahler, original floyd rose from Schaller (expensive), FRT-Oxxx which is oem on mostly Korean made guitars of LTD, BC Riches, Schecters. (BC rich is probably best for bucks)

Others have good experience with also Floyd Rose Special, which is licensed variation made by Floyd Rose. Not sure about quality of this.

In the end... if you want a cheaper guitar, stay with hardtail. If you want to have a guitar with tremolo, buy a good guitar with good unit for more. But in that case, the tremolo with hold tuning for weeks without tuning and will be sharp and in good condition for life.
Ibanez RG570EX, Dunlop 8-38 E Standard, B.C. Rich Warbeast WMD, Dunlop 9-42 E Standard, Boss MT2, Sencor 30W, Planet Waves, Fast Track MkII. Dunlop Jazz III, Stubby
honestly I dont think a trem is very important for those leads(except nightwish because i dont hear them). an fr trem adds versatility, but it also has alot of downsides. Its a downright pain in the ass to string and tune(though people find it easy using tremolno). it sometimes affects sustain and weight balance of a guitar. And depending on where the pickup switch is, the trem bar can be a royal pain when switching pickups. Also intonating is HELL! The dives and squeals are nice for the first few days then you lose interest. and if you get a cheap guitar with an fr, it might be an even bigger pain because it will NOT stay in tune, and retuning takes quite a bit longer than on a hard tail.

this is all just personal experience. you might possibly love an fr, but I just hate mine.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1