My classic players Jaguar HH has splitting, and sounds absolutely nothing like my strats single coils. It sounds like a tele played in a tin can..A real boink sound to it. Well, not that bad, but pretty bad. The volume drop is large also. Question. I was thinking since I don't use the splitting, maybe getting some different pickups in there. I play stonerrock, any humbucker recommendations? Also, I haven't opened up the Jag before. I'm not even really sure how it's wired. My guess is, a person just bypasses the splitting dials? My Jag is Olympic white, so I'd like to keep the off white color humbuckers if possible.
You can play stoner rock on anything you want. Josh Homme plays on an Epi semi-hollow (Sheraton II??) and I can get fairy good (IMO of course) heavy muddy-yet-good tones for stoner rock on my Tele.

Coil splitting, however bad it may be, might be good for cleans as its not as heavy as a 'bucker. If you play a large variety of genres, maybe stick with it, if not, then go for the pup change.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Coil splitting will always make the volume drop. that's pretty normal. So is the lacking tone in single coil mode. In my experience coil splitting is pretty gimmicky, it hasnt ever done much for me, I tried it on many different guitars and pickups. If I were you I would try rewiring the pickups to run in series and parallel instead of normal and split mode. that will make it sound brighter, like it's coil tapped (except in a different way. less "tele in a tin can"-like), it will still keep the "humbucking' aspect of it, and there wont be a volume drop like there is now. It wouldnt be too hard to wire up and you could do it right now with all the parts you have now. I think it's worth a shot. HIGHLY recommend it.

I did this to an old Yamaha Pacifica with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge. It made a world of difference in there. The Pearly Gates was probably one of the better pickups I used for Splitting and Parallel mods. It just seemed to have more dynamics than any other pickups I tried. Rocked the Dirty channels in Series mode, Sparked on the Clean Channel in Parallel mode, and everything in between. I think if all the modding fails and you NEED a new pup, look into those.

You should be able to just adapt this wiring diagram to your Jag...
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T11_04/Guitar-Wiring-Diagram-2-Humbuckers3-Way-Toggle-Switch1-Volume1Tone003.html
Last edited by jdrier21 at Aug 9, 2011,
I think i would like a heavier tone like a Gibson hb....I've played about 4 Fenders with hb's in the bridge now, they're all brighter.
Hmmmm. Question; Do you like the sound of your guitar when the rhythm circuit is active? If so, maybe you could change a few pots and capacitors to try to make the sound a little darker. Gibson and Fender both use different components and it's easy to make a Gibson brighter and a Fender darker just by swapping out these often over looked components. They are really cheap too so you can experiment with different combinations and not break your bank
Last edited by jdrier21 at Aug 9, 2011,
If you do decide on new pups, GFS pickups have a pretty good reputation and they are cheap. I have owned a few and they are decent. They sound good but my only complaint is that I have had leads break off a couple of pickups because of a shitty soldering job. I was able to solder them back on easy enough and it was a quick fix but just something to be aware of.
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T11_04/Guitar-Wiring-Diagram-2-Humbuckers3-Way-Toggle-Switch1-Volume1Tone003.html
Quote by jdrier21
Hmmmm. Question; Do you like the sound of your guitar when the rhythm circuit is active? If so, maybe you could change a few pots and capacitors to try to make the sound a little darker. Gibson and Fender both use different components and it's easy to make a Gibson brighter and a Fender darker just by swapping out these often over looked components. They are really cheap too so you can experiment with different combinations and not break your bank

I'd say yes I like the rhythm pickup. I must say for playing with my band, I almost exclusively use the lead. Mainly due to the fact the Jaguar's toggle switching, while looking cool, is a pain to use on the fly!
Quote by ktgmeasap
I'd say yes I like the rhythm pickup. I must say for playing with my band, I almost exclusively use the lead. Mainly due to the fact the Jaguar's toggle switching, while looking cool, is a pain to use on the fly!

Ya. Jaguars are pretty cool but Fender totally went over the top with them. I know it's a little off topic but if those toggle switches are really a problem, you can find a new plate that will allow you to mount a Gibson style 3 way switch and still keep the strangle switch. If this idea interests you, go over to offsetguitars.com and talk to a guy named "Stereordinary". He could make one for you or at least know where you might be able to find one. Here's what they look like...

Are you a member of that forum? If you own a Jag then there's no reason for you not to be. Every one over there is really professional and it's a cool place to chill. They could probably answer any questions you have about your guitar better than I could (Sorry, Im a Jazzmaster guy) and point you in the right direction. It's a way better environment than another certain guitar forum which we are both partaking in right now...
Quote by jdrier21
Ya. Jaguars are pretty cool but Fender totally went over the top with them. I know it's a little off topic but if those toggle switches are really a problem, you can find a new plate that will allow you to mount a Gibson style 3 way switch and still keep the strangle switch. If this idea interests you, go over to offsetguitars.com and talk to a guy named "Stereordinary". He could make one for you or at least know where you might be able to find one. Here's what they look like...

Are you a member of that forum? If you own a Jag then there's no reason for you not to be. Every one over there is really professional and it's a cool place to chill. They could probably answer any questions you have about your guitar better than I could (Sorry, Im a Jazzmaster guy) and point you in the right direction. It's a way better environment than another certain guitar forum which we are both partaking in right now...

That is cool! I might need to get one.