Hey guys
I have a riff with the progression Dm/Asus4/Em/Cmaj. At first I thought it was in D minor, until I realized it doesn't seem to resolve to D minor well, plus the A should be minor (side question here, what charge does a sus chord have?). So can anyone tell me how to figure out the key?
Thanks
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
sus4 chords have none. depends on what the suspension resolves to (e.g. whether the D in Asus4 resolves to C or C#). suspensions are traditionally far more common to half-steps (the C# in this case), but it is not always so.

you have to listen to the resolution. and there is a possibility that it doesn't resolve to a chord in the progression.

having played it, it sounds like D minor to me.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
sus4 chords have none. depends on what the suspension resolves to (e.g. whether the D in Asus4 resolves to C or C#). suspensions are traditionally far more common to half-steps (the C# in this case), but it is not always so.

you have to listen to the resolution. and there is a possibility that it doesn't resolve to a chord in the progression.

having played it, it sounds like D minor to me.

You know what, I think it's definitely D minor now. Its a song where I'm plucking out single notes, and when I messed around with that a little I got it to resolve to Dm and sound good. Plus I throw some variations into the chords (I'm playing them as triads higher up) and I noticed that it fit perfectly in with A Phrygian. Thanks a lot man
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by Miiiiks
http://all-guitar-chords.com/chords-to-scale.php
^ If you are ever in doubt about what chords fit to a scale

because a website where you plug things in has the ability to take into account the context of a song, right?

there are reasons people still learn theory instead of relying on websites. don't forget that you can go outside the scale (like this progression does).
Quote by AeolianWolf
because a website where you plug things in has the ability to take into account the context of a song, right?

there are reasons people still learn theory instead of relying on websites. don't forget that you can go outside the scale (like this progression does).

If you'd look, it still says it's in D Minor.

Yes I know, I'm having theory lessons in school, so when I'm not home and need to find out stuff I haven't learned in school yet I have to look for it on the internet, and in english it gets confusing because almost everything has a different name than in danish (what I know so far, which isn't really much).
Quote by nirvanagrunge13
You know what, I think it's definitely D minor now. Its a song where I'm plucking out single notes, and when I messed around with that a little I got it to resolve to Dm and sound good. Plus I throw some variations into the chords (I'm playing them as triads higher up) and I noticed that it fit perfectly in with A Phrygian. Thanks a lot man

Geez I hope not!

1. If it resolves to D minor, it always has. You just didn't hear it.

2. It's not in A phrygian.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Geez I hope not!

1. If it resolves to D minor, it always has. You just didn't hear it.

2. It's not in A phrygian.

Right I just notice the resolve. I know it isn't A Phrygian but A phryg is the 5th mode of Dm, I just meant that when I played the single notes I added on to the chords they fell within that degree of Dm, not that I thought the whole song was A Phrygian
Rock on or die

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by nirvanagrunge13
Right I just notice the resolve. I know it isn't A Phrygian but A phryg is the 5th mode of Dm, I just meant that when I played the single notes I added on to the chords they fell within that degree of Dm, not that I thought the whole song was A Phrygian

I'm not really sure what you're saying

But I will concede that when I was learning to pick the key, quite often I would accidentally find the 5th of the root note first, and think that was the key mistakenly. I'll just guess that's what you were saying.
Soundcloud
Quote by Miiiiks
If you'd look, it still says it's in D Minor.

i tried it, and it didn't. these things still can't take into context. you wouldn't play any of those scales over this progression. if you played the D jewish (adonai malakh) scale, you'd just be playing D minor, throwing in an Eb and a B natural. context dictates everything in music.

i see it's been resolved. great. Dm. i guess you could argue that it's D dorian, but the four chords imply so much harmonic movement that it's just going to sound like D minor, no matter how you slice it.
Quote by 12345abcd3
The website doesn't say D minor...

The website is wrong.
Soundcloud