So I'm planning a telecaster/les paul hybrid build for next summer as something to do with my dad. I'm going off to college now and the summer is one of the few times I will see my family, so I thought a build with my dad would be a good idea. He always wanted me to get a tele, but I don't really like a couple things about the guitar, so I figured I could kind of create a hybrid between it and an LP, something like this:

or this:

Anyways, I was just wondering what you builders thought about this potential build. It will be my first but I think I can do it because I have a knack for building things and my dad owns a shop with all of the necessary tools in it. What are some suggestions about how to go about building this? Should I create my own body or buy one pre-made? And what parts from which guitar do you think I should include?

Also I was thinking of including piping on the guitar, something common to LPs but not really Teles. Something like the picture above.

Now I've never owned a guitar like that and am wondering... is that just paint, or is their a layer of something wrapped around the edges? And if it is paint, did they just paint the edges of the top wood?

Thanks for any answers, and I'm open to any suggestions, ideas, or comments.
fyi by "piping" you mean binding. binding comes in two forms, plastic or some material layed into a groove around the edge, or faux binding, which is painted on. i tried faux binding, and found it was very hard to make it look nice. i would suggest real binding.

i would suggest for your first build, to build the body, and buy a premade neck, or at least mostly built neck.
it sounds like you still have a lot to learn about building a guitar. i would find some pages with tutorials that go in depth, and read them through just to get an idea of the many ways it is done.

the TOM bridge would be an easy install, but you have to have the neck at an angle. if you do a bolt on neck, which i would the first time, you can work on shimming the neck to the correct angle. or you can route a little channel for the TOM to sit down inside, but thats more difficult. i would keep it fairly simple.
you also need to figure out what pickups you want. without a pickguard, you will need either trim rings like humbuckers have, or perfect routes for the pickups, which is hard to do.

on another note, my current build is a tele style body with a 3x3 neck, similar to the first pic you posted. but i will be using a strat style bridge
It might be easier and quicker to use a pre made body for your first build. You would have to buy or make templates if you wanted to build it yourself and unless you are going to make a few more guitars, it might not be worth it.
that "piping" you are talking about is what guitar builders call "binding". It is a nice way to put two different pieces of wood together and hide the seam where they are glued together. it's usually made out of plastic or a similar material. It takes a little skill to put that onto a guitar but it shouldn't be too overwhelming for you.
Guitar building is always fun. I love it, it's an addiction. wanna see my latest build? sure ya do...

any other questions? lol

edit- oh, nvm. the guy above just beat me to it
Last edited by jdrier21 at Aug 9, 2011,
Thanks for the responses. I've been researching all night on everything you guys said, but remember, I'm not going to begin until next summer so I've got a lot of time to learn. I've been reading a whole bunch of these threads here, and I think I can take this on. And yes, I think a pre-built neck would be easier for my first time so I might go with that and ease into a complete build.

And about the "binding" thing, I actually found that out a few minutes after posting this .

I couldnt find any results on a telecaster with "piping," I knew that I was using the wrong word
If you got a year to learn then maybe you should invest in a book. It would explain everything for you and not to mention, make some nice nightime reading
Tele's are pretty basic and one of the simplest to build, it's definitely a good place to start for a first time build. Most books should cover all the things you need to know to build one.
I hear this one is pretty good. you might be able to find it, or one like it, cheaper on Amazon.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_plans/Building_and_repair:_Guitar,_electric/Electric_Guitar_Construction.html
Last edited by jdrier21 at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by jdrier21
If you got a year to learn then maybe you should invest in a book. It would explain everything for you and not to mention, make some nice nightime reading
Tele's are pretty basic and one of the simplest to build, it's definitely a good place to start for a first time build. Most books should cover all the things you need to know to build one.
I hear this one is pretty good. you might be able to find it, or one like it, cheaper on Amazon.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_plans/Building_and_repair:_Guitar,_electric/Electric_Guitar_Construction.html

I'm definitely planning on getting some books. As a matter of fact, I've got 3 in my amazon wish list already. I'll check that one out, thanks.