whats crackalackin!
for a good thrash metal tone (chugging, low register riffs, high register solos etc.) is it better to put an OD in front of a self driven tube amp, or leave the tube amp more or less clean and put a distortion in front? or some other combo?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
If your getting a good thrash tone out of your amp, then just use that. BUT I would personally make the amp clean and have a pedal doing all of the work. That way, you can switch between clean and distorted which I like doing with Opeth and Dream Theater songs. Good luck on finding the best combination

but if say i used a channel selector to switch between my dirty/clean what would you suggest?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
but if say i used a channel selector to switch between my dirty/clean what would you suggest?

Yeah, that would be a good idea

well if i had an amp dedicated to distortion, straight distortion into a clean amp or OD on top of amp OD?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
od on top of amp od
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Od on top of the amps od. You don't want to use a distortion pedal if your amp already has a good overdrive. And if the amps od sounds good, but you need some more distortion, then boost it with an od.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Dave_Mc
od on top of amp od

+1. I tend to avoid distortion pedals like the plague. 9/10 times they just fall short compared to a natural distortion boosted with an OD.
WTLTL 2011
Depends on the amp. If it can't get you a fair amount of drive itself, so that boosting won't get you your desired tone, a distortion pedal is obviously better than an OD. Keep in mind that a distortion pedal will often sound better through an amp that has the appropriate frequency-response for high-gain music. But then, such amps typically are pretty gainy already, making a distortion pedal moot.
I like to consider distortion pedals a method to add a new flavour to your tonal range, but not as a foundation of your tone.
yeah, when i said amp od + od pedal, i was assuming that the amp had a fair amount of gain already. if you're talking an amp with a vintage amount of od, then you'll probably need a dist pedal too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
okay, well i have a JCA20H, so its like... medium gain. would you guys suggest a dist pedal or an OD with the gain pushed up nice n high?
alsoooo, pedal recommendations?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Medium gain, hmm... An od should be able to boost it enough. You could always take the amp to a music store and try it with an od pedal. And for the od/boost pedal, I recommend the ts-9.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
yeah. i haven't tried the jet cities, but i'm guessing it'd probably have enough to do with an OD. But going to a shop and trying a bunch of pedals is the thing to do. A dist can give you access to a different tone, so don't just discount them out of hand... however into an overdriven amp in my experience the tone of the amp does tend to stomp over the tone of the pedal.

Just bear in mind... a LOT of od pedals are either tubescreamer clones or very lightly modified tubescreamers. You can pay $200 or $30... while the $200 might be built better, with better parts, and might be more reliable (no guarantees), if you're only using it to boost an amp which is already heavily overdriven it's debatable if you'd hear much difference.

I'm not saying to definitely cheap out, because sometimes the cheaper pedals aren't that reliable. I'm just saying don't assume the $200 pedal is better, it might be almost the same thing.

freestompboxes forum has done a lot of reverse engineering of circuits, if you want to check a particular pedal. It's eye-opening stuff.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?