With my thumb on top, and both my middle and index gripping the bottom. Could this possibly damage my playing in any way?
Currently Using:

Washburn X-Series w/ SH-8 and Pearly Gates
Peavey Vypyr 120h
Peavey Valveking 412 Slant
ISP Decimator
Ernie Ball .12-.56

Quote by CannedBullets
get to Wisconsin, do a S.E.A.L Team 6 style raid on her dwelling with a few other guys, show no mercy
As long as it doesn't hinder movement/create tension, it's preference.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I don't know about damaging your playing... Steve Morse holds the pick like that iirc.
It will however make it harder for you to tap with your middle finger (not much, but a little), and hybrid picking wont be as easy to do either.
If that way feels most comfortable for you, you should stick with it.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
I am ninety percent sure Hetfield does it too.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

^ Yes Hetfield dose that

Usually, I'd say if its comfortable then your fine. Just like stated before tapping, and hybrid picking might be a little difficult, if at all. But, if you choose not to play those kinds of things then it doesnt matter

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
I say take it back to just the thumb and index finger, just because you don't do the kind of tapping and hybrid picking that needs the middle finger now doesn't mean you won't in future and the sooner you make this change the easier it will be adjust to the new way of playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It should be fine, pick holding should be what's comfortable for you, and allows you to play the best.
  • Beer
  • Friends
  • Producing and Recording
  • Sitcoms
  • Eastern Kentucky University
  • Dead Fret

My ambition is handicapped by laziness