I'm trying to get a band together and I guess first thing's first, I have to audition/find people.

I'm trying to restrict myself from auditioning close friends or family just because it makes things like firing or similar things (if need be) a lot harder then they need to be.

Tried to get a band together with another friend of mine like a year or two ago but it didn't work out. The kid was so full of crap and was a control freak. It was MY idea to form a band and he wasn't willing to compromise or really dedicate himself to the idea. Eh, we're not really friends anymore but we never were really good friends to begin with.

I'll be playing lead guitar presumably. Not sure on vocals yet because as of now I'm not even sure what kind of band I want to start in specific. I know my influences and writing style, and I know I want to start a metal band. I was thinking some sort of a thrash/heavy metal/modern metal fusion with some oldschool death metal and a bit of jazz influence.

At any rate if I could get any tips on how to go about finding people and more importantly what to look for (in order to keep a long healthy, band relationship) in band mates I would really appreciate it. Also, how should a band be managed in terms of regular rehearsals? Vital things to keep in mind?

Also, this may be a bit of a dumb question but I'm 18 and just about to start college, is it too late to start a band and do well?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Last edited by TheBodomBullet at Aug 9, 2011,
Also, this may be a bit of a dumb question but I'm 18 and just about to start college, is it too late to start a band and do well?

That definitely is a dumb question - at 18 you're still young, most people would hardly even class you as an adult!!

As for your main point, the main thing to look for is people you get along with. You'll struggle to be successful if you don't get on OK (although there are exceptions where the band's internal animosity helped build the success) and it will make the whole experience less enjoyable.

Don't worry about the final sound of your band for a while yet. That will come with time. When you have a full line-up, start out by jamming and playing songs you all know. When you start writing together the sound will form itselof.

Finally, and most importantly, lose this attitude:
It was MY idea to form a band
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by TheBodomBullet

Tried to get a band together with another friend of mine like a year or two ago but it didn't work out. The kid was so full of crap and was a control freak. It was MY idea to form a band and he wasn't willing to compromise or really dedicate himself to the idea. Eh, we're not really friends anymore but we never were really good friends to begin with.

This is pretty much the story about my band's last drummer. I brought everyone together and he ended up being too much of a pain in the arse. But you've got to be open to influence from the rest of the band. As soon as you involve someone else its not really YOUR project anymore, it belongs to both/all of you. If it still doesnt work out then you're just not compatible.

Since then we've got a new drummer and she's working out great. She's technically less proficient, but her style suits us much better and she's SO much easier to get along with (despite her constant lesbian love life complications).

The first thing I look for is being able to get along with the person well. If you dont really get along then you're not really a band, you're a song writer and some session musicians.

second is passion about the style of music you want to play. The drummer in my band is in a folk band that is doing quite well, but she enjoys what we're doing much better and so she works much harder at it. Same deal with our bass player's punk band.

Lastly I'd look at technical proficiency. It seems really important, but since my band has been playing we've all become hugely better at playing the type of stuff we're playing. When we started with our drummer I didnt think it would work out because she was so used to playing folk and other really soft stuff, but after 6 months in a hard rock band she's killing it. Anyone you pick up who has any kind of drive will quickly fill the position much better than any super freak muso who you dont like.
don't get someone that can just play the part's, make sure they have something to offer in writing. I'm in a melodic metalcore type band right now and i'm writing all the music besides the lyrics. It's ****ing hell for me because no one has much to offer, my rhythm guitarist/ backup vocalist doesn't even play the music we're playing, he never bother's to take his guitar home to practice and just sits on his ass playing cheesy acoustic songs, he can play the part's i write, but can't make up his own, my bass player does write his own part's, but only when he get's bored of them, he generally plays the root of everything i write when i know he's capable of much more. My screamer is excellent and i would be willing to compare him to ANY famous screamer out their in tone, diversity and anything else you would want in a screamer, his lyrics are kinda cheesy but some of them are good. We just got a new drummer and haven't been writing so i don't know what he has to offer yet. Don't get a mixture of clean and not clean people. If you have a band full of casual drinker's and one alcoholic it doesn't work well, not saying it can't. This exact scenario happened to a local band i know, i think there was more to it but i think the fact that the guy was drunk 24/7 didn't help at all.

Just make sure who ever your with will make a contribution, this is honestly the brilliance behind all great rock/metal musicians. Zeppelin, Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Dream Theater, Queen, RHCP are great examples. Now some people are probably going to debate some of these artists but all these artists are rich and famous and i personally believe that each member (besides a select few) attributed to their fame and music. Even that stinky danish bastard lars. Yeah he's a ****ing half ass drummer, his drum's are simple as hell but they we're different. I'm not saying all great band's have a perfect line up but it help's to not be in a position like mine.

Reliability is a big thing that the guy below me pointed out, why have someone in a band if they don't show up to practice or learn the songs?
Last edited by maowcat at Aug 9, 2011,
The first thing I look for in a band member is reliability. I don't care whether you're Steve Vai, if you're not going to show up to practice and not learn songs, you're no use to me.

For this reason you arrange songs to be learnt before the audition. You get everyone auditioning to learn the same songs.

At the audition you also ask questions - "we plan on practicing every wednesday from 7-9, can you do that?". There are other questions you can ask to address your concerns.

If you get them to learn the songs, at the audition you can tell whether:
- They've learnt the songs
- They can play the songs

If they get in, give them a probationary period. Tell them that the first 2 months or so will be a probationary period, and if they continue learning the songs and showing up on time, then they'll be all good. Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

Also do not accept a person at the audition. Have them leave and discuss it with your band mates. Compare them against other people. Just consider it an interview like any other job, with a built in technical test to see if they can do the job.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
On top of what everyone said, ill throw in a little remark.

Try loosing that "ill be playing lead guitar" attitude, it may make you reject other guitarists who are better than you, you dont want that.

Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for well being of the band.
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
I met my band over the internet - But we didn't dive straight into practicing. We spent a few weeks, mainly during the search for our 3rd member (Who was also from the internet) just meeting up and mucking around town, talking about what bands we like, interests, etc, to try and build the friendship and hence band chemistry. We had a couple of potentials who didn't like the idea of that, so we basically disregarded them immediately. All of us were strangers to eachother at the beginning, but before we were bandmates, we first became friends, and I think that helped a lot
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by HeretiK538
I met my band over the internet - But we didn't dive straight into practicing. We spent a few weeks, mainly during the search for our 3rd member (Who was also from the internet) just meeting up and mucking around town, talking about what bands we like, interests, etc, to try and build the friendship and hence band chemistry. We had a couple of potentials who didn't like the idea of that, so we basically disregarded them immediately. All of us were strangers to eachother at the beginning, but before we were bandmates, we first became friends, and I think that helped a lot

I would have been one of those guys not keen on talking and just wanting to get to playing. I'm not in bands to hold hands and share my inner most thoughts with people, I just wanna play music. Friendships naturally develop between the right people, but I don't need them to play music with them as long as they're willing to co-operate, can play, and be reliable.

Consider what would occur if you spent a month making friends with someone only to find out they can't actually play their instrument. That's a bit silly. Now you have to spend another month making friends with a whole new person.

As for getting internet bandmates, I'm all for it. I've met many musicians from the internet, however it's gotten to the point now where if I need a musician I just call them with my phone, contacting someone I already know can do the job.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
For me and one of the guys, it was our first band - We'd already discussed skills: The guitarist was incredible, and the bassist was very good, which I guess makes me the weakest link as the drummer. But we'd all concluded that if any of us were held back by ability, then we'd just grind through and pick up the ability on the way. We were all looking for a proper commitment from eachother. Which is fair enough, considering how goddamn difficult it is to start a speed-metal band in Leicester -_-

But I can see your point. We just planned to try and 'get it right' without spending too long trying musicians out and changing members. Besides - After spending an afternoon talking to someone, we found it pretty easy to decide whether or not they were the type we were looking for
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by AlanHB
I would have been one of those guys not keen on talking and just wanting to get to playing. I'm not in bands to hold hands and share my inner most thoughts with people, I just wanna play music. Friendships naturally develop between the right people, but I don't need them to play music with them as long as they're willing to co-operate, can play, and be reliable.

Consider what would occur if you spent a month making friends with someone only to find out they can't actually play their instrument. That's a bit silly. Now you have to spend another month making friends with a whole new person.

As for getting internet bandmates, I'm all for it. I've met many musicians from the internet, however it's gotten to the point now where if I need a musician I just call them with my phone, contacting someone I already know can do the job.

yeah but you cant jam with people you dont like...much less go on tour with them. you need to have a strong relationship with them, or at least enough that you know them. ok sure hiring best friends is not always the best (my first band was with my clostest friends, horrible ordeal). my latest band though has really close friendships based off of music and that is most important in a band