Page 1 of 2
Sorry if this has been done before but I love my HSS strat for its amazing versatility but recently realised that I can barely think of a single famous/successful musician using one. Tom DeLonge (Blink 182) used to use one and I think one of the guys from Iron Maiden might use one. Other than that I'm drawing blanks. Do people not like the sound? I love it.
Ian D'sa
PRS Standard 22, Trans Blue
PRS Custom 24, Eriza Verde Green
Martin DC16 GTE Acoustic/Electric
Segovia Acoustic/Electric
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb
Fender Princeton Chorus 212

Greg Howe. It's a Fender I promise.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by SilverchairFan
Ian D'sa

Ian is awesome. He's my favorite guitarist ever. Pure genius .

And yeah, he uses MIM HSS strats on stage.
Mark Knopfler used an HSS (not a Fender though) at some point.
Eddie Van Halen started putting humbuckers into the bridge position of Strats (though he also ripped out the other pickups).
Kirk Hammett used an HSS Strat at a point, he even has an EMG signature HSS set.
Andy Timmons uses HSS Strats.

Those and the ones the others mentioned are a few. If you think people don't like the bridge humbucker tone on a Strat just look at EVH and many of the hair metal bands in the 80's.
i have an HSS. i find that the stock pickup kinda sucks, so i dont use it much, but i just love the middle and neck pickup. my friend has an SSS strat and he never uses the bridge either. one day ima mod my guitar to be HSHS lol. leaving the stock middle and bridge pickups while having seymour duncan invader humbuckers in between. another reason is, you can always get a dual humbucker guitar with a single in the middle and just coil tap the humbuckers to sound like a strat.
Quote by ciano16
i have an HSS. i find that the stock pickup kinda sucks, so i dont use it much, but i just love the middle and neck pickup. my friend has an SSS strat and he never uses the bridge either. one day ima mod my guitar to be HSHS lol. leaving the stock middle and bridge pickups while having seymour duncan invader humbuckers in between. another reason is, you can always get a dual humbucker guitar with a single in the middle and just coil tap the humbuckers to sound like a strat.

Split humbuckers -> won't sound like a real Strat.
Adrian Smith uses HSS pickups in his signature Jackson
Epiphone G400 (EMG 81/85)
Line 6 Spider IV 120W

SUNDERLAND

Alter Bridge - 26/11/11 <3

You might win one battle, But know this... I'LL WIN THE F*CKING WAR!!
Pretty much everyone in the 80s who wasn't using Kramers? Those were the standards. You either used a 1-pickup Kramer or you used an HSS Fender, Jackson or Charvel.
keith richards uses an HSS EBMM silhouette sometimes.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Fast Eddie Clark from Motorhead

Mick Marks Motley Crue
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Adam D played an HSS live before he got into Caparison and Parker
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Mathias Jabbs (scorpions) and Glen Tipton (judas priest) both used strats with humbuckers back in the day.
Andy Timmons uses an HSS ibanez that looks like a strat.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

That's because HSS strats are ugly, and barely more versatile than any SSS Strat. The simple fact is that kids who don't know a damn thing about Stratocasters always suggest them because they think you need a humbucker to play anything with distortion.

Don't let UG's kiddie pool fool you. There's a reason everyone plays SSS Strats.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
That's because HSS strats are ugly, and barely more versatile than any SSS Strat. The simple fact is that kids who don't know a damn thing about Stratocasters always suggest them because they think you need a humbucker to play anything with distortion.

Don't let UG's kiddie pool fool you. There's a reason everyone plays SSS Strats.

Thank you.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Quote by JustRooster

but dude thatz just craaaazzzeee talk. we all know that you must have humbuckers for teh br00talz. so what are you saying styles other than brutalz metal use distortion, c'mon who'z gonna beleive that.
Quote by JustRooster

Ever thought about that while single coils are awesome and all (I personally like singlecoils, Strats and I think that you can in fact even play metal with singlecoils), but also humbuckers are more suitable for metal.
Other than that a humbucker in a Strat gives a pretty awesome sound: it has the percussiveness and string attack of a Strat paired with the full humbucker tone.
That's a reason to use one even when not playing metal.
I think there is a reason why Eddie didn't just use a Gibson or something.
Also there are people like me who simply don't care much about a bridge singlecoil in a Strat, my favourite Strat tones are in the middle and neck singlecoils.
You think they are ugly? Fine, your opinion, I hate overly cheesy paintjobs on guitars.

There's a reason HSS Strats exist, the UG kiddies suggesting them certainly are not.
BTW you are acting pretty immature yourself. You sound like you are pissed off because you play an SSS-Strat and other people playing heavy rock and metal don't.
You sound like a kid who owns an HSS Stratocater who got butthurt over someone's opinion that other people happen to agree with.

Oh, and there are genres other than metal.
Last edited by JustRooster at Aug 9, 2011,
50-50.

50% like HSS strats

50% like SSS strats.

Leave it like that. Otherwise you could spend years discussing which one is better or more versatile
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
I would love to own a strat so I can play satch an what not on but I have no idea what to look for lol.
Quote by JustRooster

I'll agree that they're ugly, even though that is pretty subjective, and that they're not any more versatile than an SSS strat.

I've got one point to make though, and it's that humbuckers provide a totally different sound. Humbuckers give you a nice fat tone that you can't get from any single coil.

Just food for thought, I prefer to have a single coil's frequency response.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by JustRooster
You sound like a kid who owns an HSS Stratocater who got butthurt over someone's opinion that other people happen to agree with.

Oh, and there are genres other than metal.

You are the one who sounds like a butthurt kid. Did something happen in your childhood that had to do with metal? And nice sig, im not a fan of dimebag but id like to see you play like him
They're not traditional. You don't see people putting single-coil conversion rings in a LP. If you want a strat, get a regular strat. If you want something with humbuckers, get a guitar with humbuckers. A lot of people who play HSS strats just had a Strat and modded it because they wanted a humbucker. They didn't buy it that way. Most of the people who buy HSS strats are usually seeking versatility and are trying to cover a broad range. They can't decide what they want. That doesn't apply to everyone. There are a few people like Andy Timmons who make the best out out of HSS guitars. But that's not the case for most people. Most people just want to play Hendrix and Led Zeppelin on the same guitar.
Quote by CJ Noble

I've got one point to make though, and it's that humbuckers provide a totally different sound. Humbuckers give you a nice fat tone that you can't get from any single coil.
Overwound single coil + mid boost circuit. Or even one of those Strat-size pickups that is wound to sound like a P-90 and then just a little boost. Fender even do it in their Deluxe guitars. If you have your bridge and middle pickups overwound and have a switch to combine them in series rather than parallel you get a really thick and very powerful bridge humbucker tone. Bam, HSS and SSS in one guitar

Quote by bragglefraggle
im not a fan of dimebag but id like to see you play like him
Pentatonic wank, pentatonic wank, harmonic, harmonic and whammy, whammy, pentatonic wank, whammy, pentatonic wank, harmonic, pentatonic wank. I'm pretty sure everyone can play like him. All you need is a really shit tone, a Floyd and do some finger exercises with too much gain, you'll sound like Dimebag in no time. If he hadn't been killed nobody would give the slightest shit about Dimebag.
Quote by grohl1987
Overwound single coil + mid boost circuit. Or even one of those Strat-size pickups that is wound to sound like a P-90 and then just a little boost. Fender even do it in their Deluxe guitars. If you have your bridge and middle pickups overwound and have a switch to combine them in series rather than parallel you get a really thick and very powerful bridge humbucker tone. Bam, HSS and SSS in one guitar

Sorry, but that still won't sound like a real humbucker. It's just as with splitting humbuckers to singlecoils: it can get close, but it won't be the same.
Quote by CJ Noble

I've never understood people saying this. A singlecoil has much more bass than a humbucker, while a humbucker will have more low-midrange. It sounds counterintuitive, but it's true.

I can imagine somebody saying that a humbucker sounds "fuller" or "warmer" than a singlecoil, but I can't understand people saying a humbucker sounds "thicker" or "fatter" than singlecoils.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by CJ Noble
I'll agree that they're ugly, even though that is pretty subjective, and that they're not any more versatile than an SSS strat.

Just food for thought, I prefer to have a single coil's frequency response.

That's very true. My post wasn't to say that Singles or Hums were better. It was mostly to try to get the TS to dispel the common opinion of non-strat owners simply because they like humbuckers, not because they know anything about Strats.

Quote by bragglefraggle
You are the one who sounds like a butthurt kid. Did something happen in your childhood that had to do with metal? And nice sig, im not a fan of dimebag but id like to see you play like him

I'm a very big metal fan. You obviously don't know anything about me. Also, I fail to say why I would WANT to play like someone who I find to be incredibly overrated. Maybe you shouldn't start your UG membership by insulting people outright.

I like JesusCrisp, and I understand his point. I would even go as far as to say that he is correct about the difference in humbuckers and single coils, but he came out of the gate with accusations at me. Just because he owns an HSS doesn't change anything. Hell, I used to own an HH Stratocaster, it doesn't change anything.

HSS STRATOCASTERS AREN'T MORE VERSATILE. THEY'RE JUST DIFFERENT.

Quote by JELIFISH19
They're not traditional. You don't see people putting single-coil conversion rings in a LP. If you want a strat, get a regular strat. If you want something with humbuckers, get a guitar with humbuckers. A lot of people who play HSS strats just had a Strat and modded it because they wanted a humbucker. They didn't buy it that way. Most of the people who buy HSS strats are usually seeking versatility and are trying to cover a broad range. They can't decide what they want. That doesn't apply to everyone. There are a few people like Andy Timmons who make the best out out of HSS guitars. But that's not the case for most people. Most people just want to play Hendrix and Led Zeppelin on the same guitar.

Eh, if they want a bucker, they'll get a bucker. And there are single coil LP's. P90's are Single Coil pickups.

And again, HSS strats don't have more tones than an SSS, they just have different ones. I can list volumes and volumes of songs recorded on a single coil bridge pup of a Strat.

Also, Led Zep's first album was recorded on a Telecaster.

Quote by grohl1987

You'll mirror the output capabilities, but you still won't get a true Humbucker voicing. Although, after you turn the gain to one billion, it gets harder to distinguish.

Quote by Prophet of Page
I've never understood people saying this. A singlecoil has much more bass than a humbucker, while a humbucker will have more low-midrange. It sounds counterintuitive, but it's true.

I can imagine somebody saying that a humbucker sounds "fuller" or "warmer" than a singlecoil, but I can't understand people saying a humbucker sounds "thicker" or "fatter" than singlecoils.

Quoted just so people would read it again.
Quote by JustRooster
I like JesusCrisp, and I understand his point. I would even go as far as to say that he is correct about the difference in humbuckers and single coils, but he came out of the gate with accusations at me. Just because he owns an HSS doesn't change anything. Hell, I used to own an HH Stratocaster, it doesn't change anything.

Sorry for the accusations man, had a bad day.

Fact is, HSS and SSS are different flavours, different folks like different tones.
I don't want to say any of the two is superior or inferior, some of my favourite tones have been recorded with SSS Strats.
Actually the humbucker compromises the bridge+middle tone and gives you a different bridge tone. Moar versatile? Actually no. Other tonal options? Yes.
Billy corgan uses them sometimes me thinks. Although he uses the single-coil sized humbuckers.
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
I'm pretty sure alex lifeson used to use one...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by JesusCrisp
Quote by JustRooster

Sorry for the accusations man, had a bad day.

Fact is, HSS and SSS are different flavours, different folks like different tones.
I don't want to say any of the two is superior or inferior, some of my favourite tones have been recorded with SSS Strats.
Actually the humbucker compromises the bridge+middle tone and gives you a different bridge tone. Moar versatile? Actually no. Other tonal options? Yes.

I'm kinda glad I wandered into this thread because I've been hearing that for playing mostly "golden oldies" style music (queen, doors, steppenwolf, 60s-90s basically) without having a dozen guitars and amps the best bet is an HSS strat. I was kind of surprised by it since as far as I knew even the Canon Rock guy used single coils for their sound. Hearing you guys though I'm starting to think that it's basically a myth going around the newbie circles that single coils just can't be used for anything but the traditional clean tones (sweet home alabama comes to mind).

If SSS is more versatile/rockable than I thought then that's actually a pretty big deal since it's a lot easier for me to find a good quality SSS than HSS guitar where I am.
Last edited by Shadowex3 at Aug 10, 2011,
Quote by Prophet of Page

a single coil has a better overall frequency response, a humbucker has a poor response on the high end but very good response on low
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Page 1 of 2