Hello

concerning very nice option to buy used V500 for cheap and I was wondering, because all other guitars I had, had double locking tremolo, is there possible option to add tremolo there? I was thinking about ORF or Kahler for light response.

I heard set-through cannot be modded because the neck is going deeper in the body. But how deep? To the area, which needs to be cut for tremolo? Modding would be done by profi luthier by the way.

I was wondering, if anybody tried or know about that.

Thanks for any response.
Ibanez RG570EX, Dunlop 8-38 E Standard, B.C. Rich Warbeast WMD, Dunlop 9-42 E Standard, Boss MT2, Sencor 30W, Planet Waves, Fast Track MkII. Dunlop Jazz III, Stubby
Last edited by Wakizashis at Aug 9, 2011,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set-through_neck

"The main disadvantage is relatively complex construction that leads to higher manufacturing and servicing costs. Another cited disadvantage is the inability or relative complexity of adding a double-locking tremolo to the guitar, as the routing for cavities would interfere with deeply set neck."

First I've heard of 'set thru', essentially a set neck with much larger amount of neck set into the body. You could probably get away with routing for OFR it just depends how far into the body the neck is set. You don't want to be routing anywhere near the body/ neck join.
You need to find out how far these necks are set in on the V500. If internets can't help sanding the back of the body would show where the join is...
Quote by GandalfWh1te
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set-through_neck

"The main disadvantage is relatively complex construction that leads to higher manufacturing and servicing costs. Another cited disadvantage is the inability or relative complexity of adding a double-locking tremolo to the guitar, as the routing for cavities would interfere with deeply set neck."

First I've heard of 'set thru', essentially a set neck with much larger amount of neck set into the body. You could probably get away with routing for OFR it just depends how far into the body the neck is set. You don't want to be routing anywhere near the body/ neck join.
You need to find out how far these necks are set in on the V500. If internets can't help sanding the back of the body would show where the join is...

Thanks for the fast response. I have also read wiki info, but still not sure, because V500 should be practically a 401, only with another top and with a pickguard. V 401 is also made in two variants. One is with fixed bridge and the other one is with FR Special (the one I do not want. The higher model of it is actually damn good). That is the DX model of 401.

I am wondering, if anybody looked deeper into, or have significant knowledge about this or particular guitars.
Ibanez RG570EX, Dunlop 8-38 E Standard, B.C. Rich Warbeast WMD, Dunlop 9-42 E Standard, Boss MT2, Sencor 30W, Planet Waves, Fast Track MkII. Dunlop Jazz III, Stubby