Hi!

I am new to this forum and was wondering if this is the proper place to post this, but anyways here I go:

Does anybody know a good way on how to train my ear?
I don't know where to start...

I was hoping that some guys here knew how to train one's ear.

Thanks!

P.S.

I'm also studying chord progressions, so if you know anything about them the please don't hesitate to post about them.
find a program called auralia. its amazing and deals with any form of ear training you desire!
I'd recommend buying a programme called Auralia. Most people here don't want to spend anything, but it's far better than any free resources you'll find.
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
I'd recommend buying a programme called Auralia. Most people here don't want to spend anything, but it's far better than any free resources you'll find.

We have it for free at uni. It is a friggin pain in the ass but very useful.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
You shouldn't need to rely on software to develop your ear. People like Wes Montgomery and Jim Mullen didn't have all this shit back in their day.

SING the intervals of a chord you hit. Start with the root, then 3rds and 5ths. If you can pitch those intervals over changing chords then that means you've truly internalized it.

Then move on to 7ths.
Last edited by mdc at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by Jesse Clarkson

The best free resource you can find is your mind's ear.
Quote by mdc
You shouldn't need to rely on software to develop your ear. People like Wes Montgomery and Jim Mullen didn't have all this shit back in their day.

SING the intervals of a chord you hit. Start with the root, then 3rds and 5ths. If you can pitch those intervals over changing chords then that means you've truly internalized it.

Then move on to 7ths.

Doing it entirely from the beginning by ear with just the instrument, whilst impressive and by no means "cheating", takes more time, which is what people wish to spend the least of.

Personally, I would suggest learning using software or the bottom three exercises on this page along with a stopwatch, to do sessions of maybe 5 minutes of each every day. After that, when you are more confident with it, I would suggest doing what mdc says.

Best of luck
jfreyvogel is a legend.

Quote by dudetheman
I am so goddamn high right now....

...and I'm watching my balls. Seriously guys, have you ever noticed that your balls actually MOVE? They like, breathe. It's weird as hell.....