I am looking to get a new amp...
I really like the sound of the Line SpiderIV 150, but after seeing what some people are saying about it, I'm not sure it's the right amp for me.

My Current Setup:

My Main Guitar is a Dean Custom350 Floyd Rose
and my Distortion/ Effects are coming from my Boss ME-70 pedal.
I will not be using the built-in amp distortion/effects ever.
My current amp is a Roland Cube 20x, but I am looking for a bigger amp with a great clean channel that will sound good with my gear.
I do like the sound of the Cube 20x , but I'm looking for something better.

I play various types of metal... But my style is more like Death and Children of Bodom.

I am looking for an amp that fits my style and will work well with my current setup.
This is just mainly for practicing in my basement and occasionally playing with a bassist and maybe a drummer.
My budget is $600 and under.

I originally saw a few videos on youtube for the Line6 Spider IV 150 and loved the sound of it... but recently I saw a few more videos that are pretty much saying that this amp is a modelling amp and is meant to be played with the built-in effects and probably wouldn't sound too great with other pedals plugged into it.

So, will this amp fit well with my ME-70 and my Dean C350 or does anyone have any suggestions on any different amps that would work good for me? it doesn't need any built-in effects or distortions, just a great clean tone for my style that will sound good with my gear.
No! The spider is a no no. There are better amps for that price.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 9, 2011,
Maybe the 6505 combo?
Well the spider is terrible. But what I don't get is that you like the sound, but you dont want it because people don't like it
well, I have a line 6 pod 2.0 , and I like the clean sound of that better than my Roland Cube 20x , so I thought the Line 6 Amp would probably sound similar to the pod...
The pods amp models sound better than the spiders for some reason. Same with the effects. You could always get a keyboard amp for your me70 and pod 2.0 if you really like the sound from them.
Quote by kutless999
Maybe the 6505 combo?

Sigh, you know that the 6505 will get the level of gain but not the gain character for either Death or COB right?

After a while, I give up trying to give recommendations, I propose that we let 90% of the newbies get the crap amps. Afterall, someone has to get stuck with the POS gear right?

Quote by kutless999
The pods amp models sound better than the spiders for some reason. Same with the effects. You could always get a keyboard amp for your me70 and pod 2.0 if you really like the sound from them.

That's because the DSP algorithms and hardware of the Pods and the Spiders are completely different. The only thing they have in common are some of the model names.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by daylightdies370
I am looking to get a new amp...
I really like the sound of the Line SpiderIV 150, but after seeing what some people are saying about it, I'm not sure it's the right amp for me.

Lol. Peer pressure!!
If a Spider IV 150 sounds good to you man then what everyone else thinks should be irrelevant. You live near a GC or any other Music Store?
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
I liked the sound of it in the youtube videos I've seen of it, but it looks like a modelling amp, so I wanted to know if it would still sound good if I played my ME-70 through it instead of using the Built-in distortions and effects, I will probably NEVER use any of the built-in distortions and effects...
but I don't live near any line 6 dealers, so I would have to order it online, which would mean I can't try it before I buy it, that's why I need to know if it will sound good with my ME-70...
Well, there are better sounding amps than the spider for that price. Have you listened to other modeling amps?
yeah... I didn't really know a lot about modeling amps at first... Now that I know a little bit about them I'm kinda not sure I want that amp at all... cause I'm using my pedal for all my distortions and effects, so a modeling amp would probably not be such a good idea...
I need an amp that has a better sound than my roland cube 20x though... and im still rot really sure what I should buy,but I don't really want a modeling amp now that I know how they are meant to be used... I need something that will be good for playing melodeath and death metal and stuff but will still have an awesome clean sound too though.
Do you want to use the me70s distortion or do you want to use the amps distorion(which is better)?
the distortion will definitely be coming from the me-70 or if not then another pedal I buy later if i need it...
Ok, then a tube amp is the way to go.
If you want good cleans then try these:
Ac-15
Vox night train
Blackstar ht-5