Hey UG,
Ive been looking at pickups like the Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom, SH-14 Custom 5, etc. etc. and those Customs that I was interested in all have one probem, they're built for Dark or balanced guitars with rosewood fretboards, according to the Seymour Duncan site.

Guitar: Jackson RR3. Alder Body, 25.5", Maple Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, Flame Maple Veneer, Tremelo. Im under the impression that all of those except for the Alder and Rosewood add brightness. How much difference do all those make??
Genres: Old Country (Good Cleans!), Electric Blues, Classic Hard Rock (ZZ Top, George Thorogood), Classic Heavy Metal (Judas Priest, Old Metallica)

So I looked for alternatives and I've found the SD Pearly Gates, seems great for eerything else but I have concerns over whether it can reach Metal.
The GFS Fat Pat was a cheap alternative, but I have concerns as to quality at high gain. Muddiness particularly.

So I need help finding a pickup or help with those two up there. Im looking for it to be Vintage voiced, Capable of all those genres, Alnico V preferably, but Ceramic can work sometimes.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Just shoved a pearlygates in my fender hw1 strat with maple neck and it sounds great! Pretty damn tight sounding with high gain. If you want something a bit more modern sounding with more output, try the dimarzio steve's special, i had great results with that in a strat.
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
DiMarzio Tone Zone is pretty dark.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by VanTheKraut
Hey UG,
Ive been looking at pickups like the Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom, SH-14 Custom 5, etc. etc. and those Customs that I was interested in all have one probem, they're built for Dark or balanced guitars with rosewood fretboards, according to the Seymour Duncan site.

Guitar: Jackson RR3. Alder Body, 25.5", Maple Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, Flame Maple Veneer, Tremelo. Im under the impression that all of those except for the Alder and Rosewood add brightness. How much difference do all those make??
Genres: Old Country (Good Cleans!), Electric Blues, Classic Hard Rock (ZZ Top, George Thorogood), Classic Heavy Metal (Judas Priest, Old Metallica)

So I looked for alternatives and I've found the SD Pearly Gates, seems great for eerything else but I have concerns over whether it can reach Metal.
The GFS Fat Pat was a cheap alternative, but I have concerns as to quality at high gain. Muddiness particularly.

So I need help finding a pickup or help with those two up there. Im looking for it to be Vintage voiced, Capable of all those genres, Alnico V preferably, but Ceramic can work sometimes.

I love the pearly gates, i have one in my LP and it does classic metal just fine. I play hard rock and its great for that, especially leads.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
^By "classic metal" what do you guys mean? I mean I obviously have my own definition of Classic metal but are you talking about "Rocka Rolla" or "The Rage" here? If you get my Judas Priest references, if not, give me some song/ album references.

A lot of DiMarzios kind of strike me as a more modern shredders pickup. I might be wrong because I've never played one, but they certainly try to give that impression with their artist's and sound clips (every one ive heard is some shred lead over detuned chugga chugga) correct me if I'm wrong.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

^ Nah dude, a lot of guys used the DiMarzio Super Distortion back in the day. If I'm not mistaken, it was one of the first after-market pickups available.

Granted, it was used for 'shred', but that was stuff like Van Halen, KISS, etc.

As far as the Tone Zone goes, it's one of their more mid-gain pickups, not br00t4l by any means.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by VanTheKraut
^By "classic metal" what do you guys mean? I mean I obviously have my own definition of Classic metal but are you talking about "Rocka Rolla" or "The Rage" here? If you get my Judas Priest references, if not, give me some song/ album references.

A lot of DiMarzios kind of strike me as a more modern shredders pickup. I might be wrong because I've never played one, but they certainly try to give that impression with their artist's and sound clips (every one ive heard is some shred lead over detuned chugga chugga) correct me if I'm wrong.

My pearly gates does Ratt just fine, as well as van halen and bunches of other stuff like that

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2974259/SEE%20BOUNCE%203.mp3 the lead parts are all my pearly gates.

the Super Distortion by DiMarzio is pretty classic
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by AcousticMirror
warpigs

+1
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I'll have to look at the Pearly Gates and a couple DiMarzios than.

No, on the Warpigs. I want Standard or at the lowest, drop D vintage metal. Not Drop A flat Doom Metal. And they're a little too high output for the other genres.

When I get an Epiphone Hollowbody to do the first 3 genres, I will probably get a BKP in the bridge of this guitar but until then.

Edit: Let's say the PG's didn't have enough output for say Painkiller-esque Judas Priest, could I use my high gain amp or an OD boost to beef it up or is it pretty much stuck there.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by VanTheKraut
I'll have to look at the Pearly Gates and a couple DiMarzios than.

No, on the Warpigs. I want Standard or at the lowest, drop D vintage metal. Not Drop A flat Doom Metal. And they're a little too high output for the other genres.

When I get an Epiphone Hollowbody to do the first 3 genres, I will probably get a BKP in the bridge of this guitar but until then.

Edit: Let's say the PG's didn't have enough output for say Painkiller-esque Judas Priest, could I use my high gain amp or an OD boost to beef it up or is it pretty much stuck there.

it definitely gets to a point where it just doesn't do anymore, but it'll to painkiller stuff just fine.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by AcousticMirror
warpigs

Bareknuckle Warpig to be exact.

I was gonna recommend that pickup, extremely dark, yet very clear.

^^^ The Warpig is used extensively in Jazz, you can't tell me that it's only designed to do one thing. Just because it's high output doesn't mean it can only do one thing, it's a very versatile pickup.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Aug 9, 2011,
the dc resistance output doesn't mean shit.

warpigs are what you put in a bright ass guitar.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I do remember the bit about Jazzers liking it, now that you mention it.

Unfortunately, the last time I looked up the price of a Painkiller in USD, it was $140. And I'm pretty sure I remember the warpig being more. (though the Alnico V version is tempting)

I just don't think I can make a $140+ pup happen, football season is coming up in a week so I'll have to quit my job. (I play football) And given the description of the Warpig on the BKP sight, and knowing what MOST people use it for, you can hardly blame me for asserting that it was a Drop tuned, chugga chugga pickup.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie