Hello UG,

I have recently bought an Orange TH30 head with the Orange PPC 410 speakers, yet I'm already thinking about my next buy, I want to get my guitar set up in drop c, but I also want to improve the sound coming from my Orange, by buying an overdrive pedal and an equalizer pedal.

So here's the deal:
Should I buy the guitar first and get it (or my current one: Cort KX5) set up in drop c, and buy the pedals later
OR
Buy the pedals first, and perhaps get my Cort KX5 set up in drop c, buying the new guitar later?

Also: any overdrive/equalizer recommendations?
I have been looking at ibanez tubescreamer series and boss 7band eq/mxr 10band eq.

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
I couldnt be happier with my MXR 10 Band EQ. Drastically improves my amp's sound, and it wasn't a bad sound to begin with.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I think the best option would to be to buy the pedals first and get it set up in drop c and then if you want a new guitar still you can do that later.
Quote by VanTheKraut
I couldnt be happier with my MXR 10 Band EQ. Drastically improves my amp's sound, and it wasn't a bad sound to begin with.

And are the 10 different frequencies really necessary?

Also, is it a smart idea to buy one of these? My friend, who plays in my band, can't drop tune his guitar because he has to play it in standard tuning in his music school, so he's considering buying one of those.

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
^They make a 6 band one as well, however I felt like 6 wasn't enough control, I suppose its up to you, I dont think the price is all that different so might as well go for the 10.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Pedals first.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by VanTheKraut
^They make a 6 band one as well, however I felt like 6 wasn't enough control, I suppose its up to you, I dont think the price is all that different so might as well go for the 10.

That's indeed true, is the pedal noisy?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by Bauwke
That's indeed true, is the pedal noisy?

Not at all. I only wish I had two, one for dirt and one for clean. True Bypass too. Because I love it.

When I play my amp without it: Its nice, just your general tube amp distortion, nothing wrong with it but nothing special. I have mine set up to boost everything a little bit but especially Mids and upper mids and it becomes a tone all my own (It actually looks like a very gradually sloping W). But when I turn it on, Totally tightens up the sound, Its still my amp in there, but the extra control allows me to sculpt it into whatever I want and it sounds 10x better.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 9, 2011,
also, when I set up my current guitar in drop c, will it just be restringing or will they have to file the nut to, and will I not be able to restring back to standard?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
No filing of any nuts should be requried. Setting up for a different tuning usually may require new strings (depending on the jump from one tuning to another; higher gagues mean less string flop at lower tunings), possible truss rod adjustment with gagues changes, and definitely/always adjustment of the intonnation.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
No filing of any nuts should be requried. Setting up for a different tuning usually may require new strings (depending on the jump from one tuning to another; higher gagues mean less string flop at lower tunings), possible truss rod adjustment with gagues changes, and definitely/always adjustment of the intonnation.

and are any of those changes permanent?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro