Hey guys, I'm into heavy metal type music, and I'm looking to buy a 7-String guitar for the first time.

My guitar teacher has an Ibanez S Prestige 6 string guitar and I'm in love with the neck on it. It's so skinny and just seems like I can go so much faster on it.

My current guitar has EMG HZ-H4 passive bridge humbucker and EMG HZ-4A passive neck humbucker pickups. I really like those pickups and would like something similar if possible on my 7-string guitar.

I was looking at a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 and I think it's a very good looking guitar, but the neck seems to be pretty thick on it and the pickups are active (not a fan of active pickups).

Not so much into wammy bars, as I never really use them and they just seem to cause an annoyance having to re-tune a lot and unlock the nuts on the neck to tune down etc. However, it's not a huge deal and I would still be willing to buy one with it if I like the guitar.

Hoping to spend around $600-1300 on one. Any help would be appreciated.
i have a Schecter Damien Elite 7 and the neck is pretty bulky but i also have a Ibanez RG7321 and the neck is perfect. It is skinny and really easy to play. Look into the Ibanez RGA 7 or you could go into their higher range 7's and get a RGD7321. These are good guitars but if you end up dropping in some EMG's or SD Blackouts they will be that much better. Good luck and hopefully you can now be a part of the 7 string army. Oh i also forgot to mention that ESP just can out with a bunch of new 7 and 8 string models. They also look pretty sick but i dont think they are for sale anywhere yet.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Last edited by iceh88 at Aug 9, 2011,
Agile guitars. Check them out at Rondomusic.com. I've had my Agile 727 for nearly a year now, and it's just amazing. No complaints at all.
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
You could get the Ibanez 7420, it's an S model as well and has passives- it's got a trem but you can block that rather easily.

If you don't like the stock pups, you can always switch them. Dunnu if EMG-HZ's come in a 7 variant, but I will bet you anything you can find a DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan pickup that can blow it out of the water anyway

Quote by skateralle
If you're looking for 7 strings with EMG's, ESP or LTD is the way to go.

And if he's looking for cars I highly recommend Audi. Derp.

Quote by Gibsondude101
Any specific ESP or Agile models I should look at?

ESP/LTD has no passive 7's. Agile Septor models, and occasionally Interceptors come with passives. They're nowhere close to Ibby necks though.
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Aug 9, 2011,
I'm looking at agile's site right now. They look nice and pretty cheap but I've never even heard of them so I don't know that I want to just order one off of the website if I were to get one, could some people post a little bit more about them?

There's so many different ones on the site I wouldn't know where to start looking either, I'm not exactly an expert on these things I don't really know whats good etc.
Last edited by Gibsondude101 at Aug 9, 2011,
Agiles are good mid-high mid tier guitars. They're about the same quality as the Schecters/LTD's you find in the same price range. Feels pretty much the same too.

Don't bother with the Douglas models, you'll want interceptor or septor models. It looks like they don't have many passive septors in stock though. You'd usually be looking at sometihng like this-

http://www.rondomusic.com/septorpro730ebwtpass.html

The ''30 scale can fuck right off though
Quote by Våd Hamster
Agiles are good mid-high mid tier guitars. They're about the same quality as the Schecters/LTD's you find in the same price range. Feels pretty much the same too.

Don't bother with the Douglas models, you'll want interceptor or septor models. It looks like they don't have many passive septors in stock though. You'd usually be looking at sometihng like this-

http://www.rondomusic.com/septorpro730ebwtpass.html

The ''30 scale can fuck right off though

What does "30 scale mean?
That it has a 30" distance from the nut to the bridge, Longer scale more tension with lower strings (like instead of using 12-56 for B lets say on a 25.5", you'd get the same tension with like, a 11-52 on a 27") that's just a rough estimate btw. For 7 strings, 25.5-27 is the general lengths, most people prefer 27" for anything lower than B, but still, PLENTY of people tune to B and Lower on 25.5" or even shorter, even the pros in huge bands.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Aug 9, 2011,
Means it's a very fucking long guitar. There's a lot of discussion going on in the 7-8 string guitar community about the benefits of longer scale than your standard 24.75''-25.5'' on most guitars. Schecters use 26.5'' on all their 7's and baritones, some other companies use the 27'', and somehow there's also some people who like 30''. Which is just as long as a short scale bass.

It's commonly accepted that longer scale means more clarity in the low end, but when all comes to all it's a preference thing. And of course longer scale means longer stretches between notes.

27'' makes a small difference, but I wouldn't recommend you jump into 30'', especially if you don't even know what scale length is

Quote by Levi79
Find a used Ibanez RG7421 or RG7621. They are made in Japan just like the Prestiges and are basically the exact same at the Prestige RG1527 they make today, but with a fixed bridge.

Also this, if you got the patience.
Yeah I would probably do a smaller scale, So do those septors have thin necks?

And would it be possible to switch the pickups with passive pickups or would there be some wiring problems?
Last edited by Gibsondude101 at Aug 9, 2011,
if i were you, i would email them (about the agile) and see if they an get a guitar made with passives. kurt will more than likely listen to what you want and try to fit your needs. not a full on custom cuz that will be expensive, but i'm willing to bet if its just as simple as switching out pickups, he'll do that no problem.
Quote by Levi79
Find a used Ibanez RG7421 or RG7621. They are made in Japan just like the Prestiges and are basically the exact same at the Prestige RG1527 they make today, but with a fixed bridge.
Also, the Ibanez RG7421XL (27" baritone).

Go for a Schecter, it really doesnt matter which kind but, if I were you though I would
buy....
Schecter C-7 Standard
Schecter Damien 7
Schecter Demon 7
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7

My guitar at home is a Schecter C-7 Diamond Series, it was made somewhere around 2000.
When I first got it, it sounded terrible but after I lowered the action, adjusted the saddles and put in a Active EMG 707, It now sounds stageworthy.
So really, as long as you adjust the action and put in some new pickups (they dont have to be active, just a good quality) it will play and sound sick.
I play stuff like Nevermore and Korn so I also play metal =)
There's a mint Schecter C-7 up on SS.org fyi

Go for a used Ibanez RG7421/RG7621 with a pickup change.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Hey I just picked up a used Damien 7 Diamond Series for $250

it has EMG HZ passive pickups which aren't amazing but since you have $600 to spend, buy some Seymour Duncans. That will take the Damien up the ass and out your amp no problem

if you can get lucky enough to find a diamond series for $250 I say get it.

Points...

1. Neck feels great
2. Pickups aren't bad but could be better
3. Gun Black paint (need I say more?)
4. Bat inlays
5. Not too heavy
6. Strong tuners

It's a good guitar and is a very good price.
I just made another message to tell you not to get the hellraiser! It's a piece of shit haha

hope you didn't buy it already!
must...have...30" scale

Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED