so, my band has this chord progression:

E||-----------------||
B||-----------------||
G||-----------------||
D||--7----7----7----||
A||--8----8----8----||
D||--8----5----0----||

(its got some little things in between the notes, its more like a riff)
and i have absolutely no idea how to solo over it, what kind of scale should i use, or how would i go about writing a solo for it? i dont usually write solos, i just improv using a pentatonic scale of some sort but it gets boring after a while
Quote by moses132049

and i have absolutely no idea how to solo over it, what kind of scale should i use, or how would i go about writing a solo for it? i dont usually write solos, i just improv using a pentatonic scale of some sort but it gets boring after a while

First figure out the chord tones in the riff there: those are your most consonant notes. Combine these with tension notes to continuously build tension and release. It's not an easy thing to explain, but just start paying attention to the notes that you're playing and how they interact with the backing.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Pretty sure that chord progression is just G A E

So if your using pentatonic just use G.
Quote by Nitnatsnok
Pretty sure that chord progression is just G A E

How you figure, slim?
It's not a particularly strong chord progression, but I'd wager it resolves to Dm.
Yeah I was wrong.

Seems like its A# dim (or something)

-

Then gm and dm.

So dminor pentatonic works.
Last edited by Nitnatsnok at Aug 9, 2011,
it really just goes A# G D, the 8 and 7 on the A and D strings are in between the notes, heres the song, the part ill be soloing over starts at 1:48 http://www.reverbnation.com/shadowoftheabyss#!/artist/song_details/9586040

edit: cause in that part while ill be soloing the basssist will be playing the A# G D
Last edited by moses132049 at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by moses132049
cause in that part while ill be soloing the basssist will be playing the A# G D

It's a Bb, not an A#. You'll want to use the D minor scale, but as I warned you, pay attention to what you're actually playing.
Quote by moses132049

Well seeing as you have no skill sets to do so...your only alternative is to play everything by ear until something sounds good to you. There is absolutely no way that I can just hand you an idea without having the foundation to support it. You need to play and try things and listen with your ear, and then when it works for you, there you have it.

I'd suggest that you use this instance as a catalyst to learn and better understand what you are doing, and why it makes sense and what are all your attending options, with any piece of music you write, because chances are, this kind of thing is only going to continue, and I highly doubt you're going to be happy being dumbed down as a musician your whole life.

Best,

Sean
E---------------------
B---------------------
G---------------5-9---
D--------5-7-8-------
A-5-7-8--------------
D---------------------
I just gave you a fish. This is how you play Dm.
Quote by amonamarthmetal
E---------------------
B---------------------
G---------------5-7---
D--------5-7-8-------
A-5-7-8--------------
D---------------------
I just gave you a fish. This is how you play Dm.

Fix'd