I have a 3 man band at the moment, I'm playing guitar. We've had a couple band practices so far, and have written up quite a few songs worth of lyrics and have the music for 2 songs almost done. I'm pretty much the primary songwriter (Coming up with music, ideas,etc) While our drummer helps sometimes with music and then puts in beats, and our bassist comes up with some sections. The problem is, our bassist is supposed to be our vocalist as well, and he's not theory-oriented. He can come up with some things but last practice he and I (mainly me) wrote the bass parts to a song while the drummer sat around lsitening to us since he doesn't know keys and stuff. He needs to work on keeping time as well, so he can get better at both bass and singing/screaming.

How can I go about helping him get better? I'm probably going to teach him some theory/keys, but should he get a metronome for singing and playing bass at once, so he can understand keeping time? Is it okay to write his bass parts and kind of baby him in a sense? Our drummer's all cool with it, and I am too, I'm just wondering if it would slow us down. And say hypothetically he can't handle it, should we recruit a bassist or singer, and have him do one or the other? He is competant at both, but not at the same time at the moment.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Make him try to read a book and memorize it while playing some riffs which should get progressively harder as he gets better at it.He must be able to have conversations while playing riffs, he should be able to play without thinking about what is being played, and he should probably learn some basic theory, but seeing as he is a bassist i think that a comprehensive knowledge of chords is unnecessary.
It will definitely slow you down. Im in a similar situation, me and my friend who is a very good drummer started writing original stuff about three months ago and have almost ten songs already.

One of my friends kept asking if he could play with us, saying he is really good at the bass and can sing. He knows alot of theory but he is absolutely shit at rhythm. The only bass parts that sound good are the ones that I told him exactly what to play. Otherwise he is pretty much playing a completely different rhythm and it sounds awful. Since he started we have probably had two more songs finished in the same amount of time me and the drummer finished ten. And he can't sing with any rhythm either! lol....It sucks bc he is my friend and I don't want to "kick" him out, but now our drummer won't play with him anymore because it is such a headache. Luckily another friend I know is an absolute beast on bass and vocals and just left his group.

I really don't want to kick this kid out though bc he has put in alot of effort and he is my buddy, buy since he started playing we have gone absolutely no where, prolly backwards actually. It just takes so much longer to get the same amount of work done with the old bassist. We play heavy blues stuff and we write the song and move on, with this bassist we have to go over the same song over and over and over and it really sucks.

So IMO get rid of him unless you want to spend way more time than necessary guiding him. It sucks but it is how it has to be.

But if he has the feel than maybe not because you can learn theory. You can't really learn groove and feel and rhythm, especially when you've played for so long and don't already have it. (like my bassist)
Last edited by treysonpwaters at Aug 9, 2011,
RECORD the songs you've made. That way, he can practice to sing and play the song at the same time.
I'm not kicking him out. He and I formed the band and are the only two that really want a metalcore band. The drummer is good with the music, but he can't contribute ideas that I would want for this band nearly as much as the bassist. I'm gonna teach him some theory on our own, not during band practices. He is a fast learner, he just hasn't learned what he needs to yet.

He told me his old band never talked about keys, measures, etc, they just put random parts together to make something. Here's an example, you can notice why he might not be that great if this is the only stuff he's playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eefWl9t1vd8
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day