I am wondering about intonation setting. I understand how to setup intonation, and what it is. What I am wondering about is why you need to adjust intonation at all - why it can't be set at build time, since it seems to be managed by the length of the string? How is it that intonation can be off? Why can't a manufacturer set the bridge up so that the string is the right length from the 12th fret and have it be good?

Thanks for your patience with this noob question. I have no problems with the intonation on my guitars - they were both setup by a good shop. I'm just curious.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
String gauge and tension, saddle height, and neck / truss rod setup all effect intonation. None of those things are constant enough to allow for fixed intonation.
Quick question that I've sort of wondered, you've set up my intonation pretty much perfect let's say, how come I've heard of people who's intonation has gone out, but they havn't changed anything. Any reason why?
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Your neck bows forward or backwards with every small adjustment you make. Intonation is calculated by one measurement - the length of string from the nut to the saddle. If your neck bows forward because you up your string gauge, it will move the neck, changing the overall string length.

Quote by Tango616
Quick question that I've sort of wondered, you've set up my intonation pretty much perfect let's say, how come I've heard of people who's intonation has gone out, but they havn't changed anything. Any reason why?

Because your neck will gain relief or tension over time even without changing anything like saddle height, gauge, etc.. It's natural for the wood to do this on it's own for many reasons.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 9, 2011,
Ah thanks, so if you kept the tension the same after intonating like 2-3 times, you shoudln't really have any more problems? or adjusting intonation is always just part of guitar.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Tango616
Ah thanks, so if you kept the tension the same after intonating like 2-3 times, you shoudln't really have any more problems? or adjusting intonation is always just part of guitar.
Just setting the intonation once should last a long while granted no other changes take place.

Long while = 6 months - 2 years

After that you will see some change in the tension of the neck which should be adjusted along with intonation.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by guitar nubsauce
Just setting the intonation once should last a long while granted no other changes take place.

Long while = 6 months - 2 years

After that you will see some change in the tension of the neck which should be adjusted along with intonation.

Alrighty, I was just wondering, since I set up my intonation and it's lasted quite a while, I was just wondering how it would go out, thanks though man, now I know.
ಠ_ಠ

I've always had issues with intonation. I guess sometimes you hit a sweet spot where everything is damn near perfect and then sometimes everything is all out of whack. My Eclipse has been giving me trouble until recently. I just changed the strings on it maybe a week ago and the intonation has been pretty good and has stayed that way. Always adjust the intonation on brand new strings. They'll tune more accurately and allow you to intonate more accurately.

For the longest time I went through intonation hell with my LTD. It seems to have finally fallen into a perfect area where the intonation is just right. That guitar has had 10's in E, 11's in Eb and now 12's in C# and it has been a breeze to set it all up and none of the notes are really that off. It's really a matter of fine tuning. And all I have is a $15 Korg tuner, so that may not be the best way to intonate a guitar, but it helps. And sometimes you can't worry about the minor flaws in the intonation because it'll drive you nuts. I remind myself that a guitar is nothing but wood, metal and stretchy strings, lol. It can't always be "perfect". I've set up my own guitars as good as I can get them and to what I think works and what I like. That's about all you can do unless you have the money to take it to a tech all the time.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
I'm gonna resurrect this thread right here.

I know how to set guitars, level frets, etc...

Here in Salzburg in Summer alone we go from high temp to low temp often, sunny day becomes rainy night and you'll need a sweater. Then we have very cold winters and overall very hot summers.

If I take some of my previously set guitars and check for intonation they are always slightly off. Some just a bit, some more than a few commas. High and low equally, no preference for high or low.

These guitar necks didn't change a smidge. No noticeable change in the way I've set them up before so I doubt that was the cause.

I think temperature changes on the strings greatly affects the intonation. Something to do with the metal elasticity at different temperatures perhaps.

Also the string's age plays a role...and I suspect it again has something to do with elasticity. Most of the time after changing strings you need to intonate, and sometimes later once more etc...

That's why I normally don't trust those bridge with pre made shapes.
Dont bump old threads please
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.