Hey guys, I'm looking for a good, affordable practice amp. I'm into metal but all I would really need from this amp is some good sounding distortion.
Budget like $50-200 and I'm not asking for much just distortion, I don't know what more information I can give. Just a simple practice amp that would be good for the price and I could travel with.
Last edited by Gibsondude101 at Aug 9, 2011,
Look at the Roland cube 20xl, the Vox vt-15, the fender mustang 1, and the peavy vypry 15. All are good practice amps.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
In the words of our beloved Guitar Center employees....."Line 6 Spider".
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
Any of the Roland cubes would serve you well, I think. I'm not a huge fan of the new ones like the Mustang and Vypyr but I'd swear by a cube.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The Vypyr 15 is 100; the 30 is 200. I would use either of them to guitar-duel the minor deity of your choice. Lots of effects and cool things to play with, too.
I think Vox has a nice one too. I recommend it.
The Fender Frontman is nice and straightforwardly clean.
Raven has a nice little one too.
Not Line 6.
Not the Marshall MG.
Quote by kutless999
Look at the Roland cube 20xl, the Vox vt-15, the fender mustang 1, and the peavy vypry 15. All are good practice amps.

A lot of guys use the Roland cube. Have you checked out the iphone/ipad stuff? It seems like a viable way to practice. I have an ipod touch but haven't really checked into the simulation apps. You could practice with headphones and get some different sounds.. just throwing that out there.
I have the 15x and it has been working great for 4 years.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kjs0118
A lot of guys use the Roland cube. Have you checked out the iphone/ipad stuff? It seems like a viable way to practice. I have an ipod touch but haven't really checked into the simulation apps. You could practice with headphones and get some different sounds.. just throwing that out there.

very viable way to practice. a 30 dollar jack to hook your guitar up, and you get some decent sounds.

well, great for a 30 dollar jack. i wouldn't buy a pad just for garageband.
Fender Vibro Champ XD?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
go get an MG
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I got a GCenter brand (raven maybe?) 20w amp for like $20 to practice on. Got it at a pawn shop, and the distortion isn't too bad for a ss that is really cheap. Honestly, I would spend as little as possible for something decent with headphone out, bc why waste $ on something just to practice on in your bedroom. I just picked it up because I needed something small with headphones and I'm happy with it for what it is. It sounds like crap loud, but I have a tube amp for that.
Quote by kjs0118

This is very interesting, I have an iphone so maybe I'll check that out. Seems like it'd be very useful.