Ok I'm new to bass effect pedals and i have a few questions. First is if I get a multi effect processor, how good do the effects sound? (Could they be used in a gig?) Right now my buddy is selling a crybaby bass wah for 80 bucks which is an effect that I know I will use so should I just buy that and add on other pedals (Chorus, fuzz, etc.) or go with a multi effect? Reccomendations?
Thanks
Well, I've tried a few multi FX pedals and while they sound decent they don't quite match up to decent stompboxes.
And I don't know what a bass wah costs over there but if "80 bucks" is a fair price to you I think you should go for that and add other effects.
I can't really recommend you anything since I don't know what you will be doing with them
$80 is a little steep for a used pedal from a friend...I'd try to haggle him some or look elsewhere.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
$80 doesn't sound too bad of a price, but honestly unless you're positive that the effect will be instrumental in your sound don't fret over it. I find VERY few times while playing where I wish I had a wah (although it is personal preference).

Regarding effect pedals:

I try to avoid multi-effects because I feel that analog, single effects units are of higher quality and less prone to being disappointing. However, a lot of bassists are very content with them, so if you test out a particular multi-effects unit that you enjoy go for it! Most of the time they're priced fairly.

As far as "introductory" effects pedals for bassists, I think that the Boss Bass Chorus is a fantastic place to start. Flexible, very applicable for any genre, and has a great cost. I use mine a ton.

MusicMan SUB4
OLP MM2

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II / RBH410 x2
Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor
Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
ZVex Wooly Mammoth Fuzz
It's from a friend though...I usually charge my friends less than I would other people for stuff like that. Friend price. Benefits of befriending me I guess.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
Don't buy effects just for the sake of having them. You'll end up with a lot of expensive paperweights. Make sure you are going to use the effect, and then pick the one that best suits your sound. You'd be surprised how many bassists never use any pedals.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
well I could get it cheaper from him for sure, thats just what hes trying to sell it for to anyone
Multis are great... at first.

Their strength lies in the fact that they have multiple effects built in... duh.

So, you get a cheap multi effect box... mine was a Digitech BP-somethingsomething. Then you mess around with EVERYTHING on it. As you mess with different effects and effect combinations, look into single stomp boxes of those effects. Build a better sounding pedalboard from there.

I love pedals. I've owned about 80 different pedals over the years, and everything has been used only with bass.

REAL TALK:
-Get a multi and experiment with it like i said.
-Go test out ANY pedal you can when you decide on the single effects.
-Bassists in general are embarassingly ignorant about pedals, and the internet's bass-centric forums are rife full of missinformation.
-Pedals sound and work vastly different solo than they do in a band setting.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Stomp boxes are unreliable and noise prone.
They take away the full tone of the instrument.

If just one or two are used, it usually isn't so
bad. But when they get mo and mo to deal
with all the noise and confusion, it seems
excessive and counter productive.

The best thing about a good muiti-effects unit
is the EQ. They tend to be at least 4 ban with
very deep cutting and boosting controls that
have sweepable shelving.

That gives amazing control over the voicing of
the bass. You can dial in for the room and the
amp. I think they are great.

The effects them selves are high quality, but
who needs effects with a bass?

Tabdog
TS, the quality of multieffects just depends on the unit you're getting, and the effects you want modeled. I think a high end modeler is great for modulation, delays, eq, noise gates, etc. But I'd much rather have analog dirt and filters--I think modeling will get there (and lots of vst computer software is much closer to the typical models in a multieffect), but I'm not ever satisfied with the sounds I get on dirt. Filters are hit and miss.

That's why the line 6 m series (and the new zoom g3, I enjoyed trying out a couple days ago) are pretty great multieffects--you can just pick any useful effects you want, place them in any order, and then just ignore all the fuzz and amp models they have, using your own in front of the multi instead.

and I agree that $80 seems a little steep for a buddy deal on a pedal that's $120 new. I'd expect to pay $80 or less in a store for it used.

Quote by tabdog
Stomp boxes are unreliable and noise prone.
They take away the full tone of the instrument.

If just one or two are used, it usually isn't so
bad. But when they get mo and mo to deal
with all the noise and confusion, it seems
excessive and counter productive.

True bypass for the most part with a good buffer toward the beginning and end of chain--problem completely solved--I don't know what this unreliable thing is. A good pedal will last as long as a good amp.

Quote by tabdog

The effects them selves are high quality, but
who needs effects with a bass?

The bass player who wants to use effects

With effects I always say buy used, and sell what you don't like. That way, you can tear through 100 different ones trying to get the sound you want and still come out without losing any money in the long run. If you take that approach, any advice about not buying one until you absolutely know you need it is moot. You get a cool pedal and spend some months experimenting with it to see if you can do something great with it or not.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
TS, the quality of multieffects just depends on the unit you're getting, and the effects you want modeled. I think a high end modeler is great for modulation, delays, eq, noise gates, etc. But I'd much rather have analog dirt and filters--I think modeling will get there (and lots of vst computer software is much closer to the typical models in a multieffect), but I'm not ever satisfied with the sounds I get on dirt. Filters are hit and miss.

That's why the line 6 m series (and the new zoom g3, I enjoyed trying out a couple days ago) are pretty great multieffects--you can just pick any useful effects you want, place them in any order, and then just ignore all the fuzz and amp models they have, using your own in front of the multi instead.

and I agree that $80 seems a little steep for a buddy deal on a pedal that's $120 new. I'd expect to pay $80 or less in a store for it used.

True bypass for the most part with a good buffer toward the beginning and end of chain--problem completely solved--I don't know what this unreliable thing is. A good pedal will last as long as a good amp.

The bass player who wants to use effects

With effects I always say buy used, and sell what you don't like. That way, you can tear through 100 different ones trying to get the sound you want and still come out without losing any money in the long run. If you take that approach, any advice about not buying one until you absolutely know you need it is moot. You get a cool pedal and spend some months experimenting with it to see if you can do something great with it or not.

I have to say,

you give a lot better slant on stomp boxes and processors.

Thanks for not making me look too old and foolish,

I think you got a good handle on it.

I'm a old fool. I don't like compressors. My favorite boxes
and effects are the ones with good EQ and handle noise
without dampening the overall output.

I have just always been too poor to be able to try all of
them I wanted to.

Thanks for your input.

Tabdog
Quote by tabdog
I have to say,

you give a lot better slant on stomp boxes and processors.

Thanks for not making me look too old and foolish,

I think you got a good handle on it.

I'm a old fool. I don't like compressors. My favorite boxes
and effects are the ones with good EQ and handle noise
without dampening the overall output.

I have just always been too poor to be able to try all of
them I wanted to.

Thanks for your input.

Tabdog

Lot's of people get by great without effects, so of course there's plenty of room for everyone's approach. They don't always have to be crazy either, I've had a few gigs where they only thing on my board were dirt pedals and those just acted exactly like extra channels on my amp--hit a switch, get some more gain.

You're right that you can lose low end and fidelity. I have had effects chains with "tone suck" in the past, so you do really have to stick to the "mostly true bypass with a couple well-designed buffers" set up to avoid that if you're using more than a handful. That or splurge for a loop box that isolates the effects you're not using.