Page 2 of 3
wow! incredible build, i am completely blown away. I can't wait to see the finished pics! great job man.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.

Did 2 more. for fret 3 and 12. These things are a real pain. I keep breaking them. Also I keep breaking my saw blades, they run out so fast, I need about 3+ per block.
But they are the cheapest brand so that could have something to do with it, taking a visit to the hardware shop tomorrow to get some real saw blades cause these aren't working for me.

The blades I have now wear out so fast they actually jam themselves in the inlay material. So in tight corners when I need to steer it it gets stuck and the inlay snaps.
I hope I can get the inlay's in the fretboard really tight so it's hard so see where they broke, luckily the breaks themselves are quite clean.
personally i think the headstock would look better without said triangle, but this is really nice! i dig the fretboard inlays
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
hawt stuff there
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Moar inlays. As you can see I keep buggering some of them. Pretty much all of them are done but number 15, since that one went completely down the crapper, so I'll have to redo that one.
Have you tried cutting the inlay material with a dremmel cut-off wheel? that may be much easier.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Have you tried cutting the inlay material with a dremmel cut-off wheel? that may be much easier.

Actually I haven't, can't believe that I forgot about that! I will definitely try this the next time.
Quote by Droste
Actually I haven't, can't believe that I forgot about that! I will definitely try this the next time.

The build looks really good. So I know this is your first guitar build, but what do you or did you build for a living?! You have way more knowledge of a "proper" wood working than most people.

I wanna see this finished!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The build looks really good. So I know this is your first guitar build, but what do you or did you build for a living?! You have way more knowledge of a "proper" wood working than most people.

I wanna see this finished!

I'm a student. That's about it.
Thanks for the compliment but everything I have done so far has been the very fist time for me. I have never worked with wood before.

I started working on classic cars about 5 years ago, as in completely taking them apart and fixing them. Also without ever having touched a spanner. I do my research of course but people around me tell me I' am good with my hands.
An explorer, with red light and black hardware... what you should do is, black binding and a trans red finish, lijke the prs torero.it would have been so much more awesome with a flame maple top and a ebony fretboard....
Update!

The inlay cut out's are all done, now I just need to cut out the lines between each pulse.

In other news, I took a few more mm's off the headstock so I can fit the Sperzels.

I am very pleased with the result. Although I took off about 0,5 to 1mm too much for my liking. If I still had that mm the Sperzel head would be just that bit lower to keep the strings close to the wood. But maybe I'm nuts enough to cut some aluminium to fit the underside of the Sperzel to regain that mm.
Tuners are done.

We had some washer laying about, so I used them to lower the tuners just that bit. Also I really like the look.

Quote by n1ckn1ce
picture of the inlays :O

Nothing spectacular going on, the fretboard isn't yet prepared for the inlays.
Quote by xadioriderx
wowwww those upper two are a tight fit!!
looks great though =)
are you gonna round out or fill the corners where there was tearout?
youve done a great job so far!

Thanks, I'm not sure yet what I'll to about the tear outs. Maybe I'll just leave them.
That little hook below the 6th string tuner looks like it could break off easily, but that's a nice build regardless.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Metalfan41
That little hook below the 6th string tuner looks like it could break off easily, but that's a nice build regardless.

Yes I know, basically it is a very fragile headstock. I'm sure I will damage it properly in the future.
im not sure how it would look, but if you got mad skillz you could probably bind it and it would help every corner from not chipping. youd have to pick just the right color and size to look right though
Quote by Ippon
Sick! Have you seen this?

I love it! I want a seven string, play some Dir En Grey tunes.

Got some work done today.
It looks a bit sloppy, but I lack the skill. I find it very difficult to be so precise with a Dremel. What you see took me about an hour.
Nice work!
I want to know what is the black strat-like beside the acoustic.
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Oct 3, 2011,
If the MOP isn't totally snug in the routs then I'd suggest you fill it with something black to make an outline and make it look deliberate. Filler made from glue and sanding dust only looks decent with jet black ebony IMO. But a black outline on the pulse inlay would look totally magnificent.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Nice work!
I want to know what is the black strat-like beside the acoustic.

Grass Roots Kirk Hammett model.
It's a great guitar. The action is all right but the frets are totally worn down so I'm reffretting it soon with jumbo's. I've put EMG's in em cause the pups it came with really sucked. The whammy stays perfectly in tune though, very happy about that.

Don't know why the brand gets so much hate, after a pickup change they're awesome.

Quote by Pikka Bird
If the MOP isn't totally snug in the routs then I'd suggest you fill it with something black to make an outline and make it look deliberate. Filler made from glue and sanding dust only looks decent with jet black ebony IMO. But a black outline on the pulse inlay would look totally magnificent.

Yea I think I will do that. I have some liquid gasket, it is perfectly black, should do the trick.
Quote by xadioriderx
liquid gasket will probably be much too soft for what you want. im guessing its black RTV? basically same consistency as caulking

Yea it is the RTV. What would you suggest to use?
This is one of the sickest guitars evr!!!im just finishing my first guitar. cant wait to see how it comes out!!
Quote by xadioriderx
ive never done it, so i dont know, epoxy of some sort?
i just know rtv is too gooey

I'll try looking for some black epoxy, thanks!
Yeah I knew RTV is really gooey but I figured it would cure overtime, but still it would be soft.
Update!

I bought a router base for my Dremel, very happy with it, it gives me more stability and control. Still took some time to route it to about half depth but it is making things very easy.

I have been using a scalpel to cut out where I need to route. Ideal tool but you have to be really carefull, I've cut myself a few times and this thing really leaves a mark.

Last edited by Droste at Oct 19, 2011,
I'm still alive! Although I must say I havent done jack shit since my last post. I'm picking it back up again but I need your help.

As you might have noticed the inlay for the fretboard has to represent a heartbeat which goes down and starts back up. The idea came from a personal experience I had. (Story here:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1539256&page=3 post number 83.)

Anyway, I noticed I found it super difficult to cut out the pieces of inlay and ended up breaking the most of them.
Also another rookie mistake I made is not cutting out the pieces first and tracing that on the fretboard to cut out from the wood.

So now I've ended up with broken pieces of inlay and worst of all they don't fit snug in the board. This is my main concern, I have seen other builders place inlay that was very snug. How did you guys do this? I really want it to be clean to the eye, even if it's my first build.

Here you can see one of the inlays, broken and not fitting snug in the board.

This is the situation on my Grass Roots KH. The finish on the inlays is fugly and I don't want to end up with the same on my own made guitar. (The guitars plays great btw, just swap out the shitty hardware)

This is what I want. As you can see the inlay fits very well in the wood. Is this something that even can be done by hand?

So actually I need to know, am I aiming too high?
I was thinking about throwing out the inlays I have at the moment and buy them again and try cutting them again. Taking special care to make 3 of the inlays fit the already routed inlays in the board.
Then cutting out the rest of the inlays and trace them to the board and hope I keep it tight?