Ive been playing 2 years. Electric for about 18 months. I played piano when I was younger so have a nice leg up on music theory, reading music, etc.
Im very dedicated to playing (all electric focused) and easily play 10 hours a week and jam once a week with some other players.

My stuff:
guitars: Gibson LP Studio, Fender Amer Strat (1999, bought used), Fender Jazz bass
amp: Fender Blues Delux 40w tube amp reissue, Fender 30w Rumble bass amp, Line6 30w Spider something or other
xtras: Digitech jam man looped, Vox wawa, Walmart drum electric kit, pot, beer

Music styles: rock, blues, reggea

What I dont have:
distortion pedal, any effects.

Around Christmas I dropped $300 on a big stompbox with tons of effects. I found them to be clangy and decided I would rather have a looper. Good call. When I practice its great. I put on the drum kit, lay down a baseline then plug my LP or Strat into the Fender tube amp and send the dogs running.

back to the original question what you buy next?

Ive read the Boss DS-1 distortion pedal plays great with my tube amp for some extra umph. Thoughts?

I feel like my playing is just getting good enough where the equipment really matters. So far (Line6 amp aside) I love every piece of equipment I have. Maybe I'm looking for some diversity in the tones I can create?
he of tranquil mind
I have the ds 1 and i really like it. Personally I would get a tuner pedal, a wah, and a fuzz...I run those and ds 1 pretty much 100% of the time (not all at once of course). I have a delay too and a phaser (can be good for reggae) but those are rarely used compared to the others.
Last edited by treysonpwaters at Aug 9, 2011,
Buy a silde and an eBow. They'll really help padding out your loops if that's what you want, and also adds a whole other dimension to your playing.
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
When I was at about your point I had the same problem and I got a Boss DS-1 and true it's a wonderful pedal, but then the next christmas I got a $200 pedal board and it just came with a lot more diversity and power, although it eats up batteries like nothing I would suggest you shell out some money for a good pedal board and a power adapter for it. Maybe you got unlucky with your stompbox but I mean just go into your local music store, bring your guitar, and just start messin around with different boards
what would you buy next if you were me?

If I were you then I would BE you therefore I would be asking the same questions as you.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by TheSmashing
When I was at about your point I had the same problem and I got a Boss DS-1 and true it's a wonderful pedal, but then the next christmas I got a $200 pedal board and it just came with a lot more diversity and power, although it eats up batteries like nothing I would suggest you shell out some money for a good pedal board and a power adapter for it. Maybe you got unlucky with your stompbox but I mean just go into your local music store, bring your guitar, and just start messin around with different boards
its very possible I just didnt hook it up right. My amp has an 'effects loop' which I have nothing plugged into. I tried messing around a with a tube amp volume switch but didnt notice any change in sound. I was hoping to find a way to push more power to those tubes while playing at a volume thats still house friendly. The sound on that amp is amazing but phuck its loud! Everytime my wife tells me she's leaving my eyes light up like some deviant. Our course she always walks into the same racket so I guess I'm safe.

The stomp box was the big $300 line6 stompbox with 6 channels that you could overlap effects with other effects. Whatt it really came down to was I rather than spending time playing with effects I wanted something that would push me to play better (being a noob and all) and the looper has really helped accomplish that.

Thanks all for the quick replies... its greatly appreciated.

A couple questions:
whats a fuzz, silde or an eBow?

The phaser is cool... but aside from "Lightnight Crashes" from Live I never feel the need
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike

A couple questions:

The phaser is cool... but aside from "Lightnight Crashes" from Live I never feel the need

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXcpqldmg_8

thats one of the more popular fuzzes...basically a distortion with a fuzzy sound

a slide is a glass or metal cylinder you put on your finger and slide up and down the strings for a different style of playing than normal fingering...not too sure about the ebow
Quote by Alucard817
If I were you then I would BE you therefore I would be asking the same questions as you.

i lol'd
Ebow makes your shit sound like a violin, chello and flute.
Its hella hard to use across strings quickly but as long as your legato is decent shouldnt be a problem. Mine has a harmonic mode as well. Its also got infinite sustain.
Check one out.
I'd pick up a fuzzface or another amp
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by TS
A couple questions:

Well, buy a slide either way. You can get one for like $6 so it shouldn't be an issue. It's like a little glass tube you wear on you finger for doing, well, slides.

A Fuzz is a type of pedal, you might not need one for what you play but if you have a good, real Fuzz (as opposed to a Fuzzy Distortion like a Big Muff) they're fun to experiment with because of the range of different sounds you can get.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
A tube screamer blows the Ds-1 outta the water. I own bothe the Ds-1 and and 808 Reissue. I haven't touched that orange brick since.
Quote by Alucard817

I think you know what he meant. BTW, an ebow sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2oif6TTnMs

Skip to 1:17, the guitarist with the red PRS is using an ebow.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Alucard817

Sir, you just won the thread.

Quote by Dmaj7
So you've been playing for 2 years, but you've been on this site for 3?
funny... I just noticed I joined 2008. I dont remember doing that, but I did get a hand me down nylon string acoustic which I used to learn the basic open chords. Was that Sep 2008? Could have been. The only thing I remember is not having time to practice and learn. It was a bad year. I bought the first guitar I played summer of 09. A Yamaha acoustic for about $300. I picked up my first electric that xmas 2009 (the Gibson LP studio), but was so intimidated I didnt play the thing very much. Plus the amp I had was shit so even when I played ok it sounded like shit. Then once I did have time it was so slow I actually went out and bought the Fender Jazz bass because I sucked at guitar so much. As it turns out thats pretty normal and I just had to let myself suck long enough and keep practicing until I got better. The big thing was starting to play every week with a guy who's been playing for 20 years and just focusing on rhythm. Since then my playing has taken off. Make no mistake... I'm not good, but I've at least got a confort zone that lets me jam with others and contribute.

I would have to say at this point playing guitar is pretty much the best thing I have ever learned to do, jerkin off might be a close 2nd
he of tranquil mind
Quote by Wisthekiller
What's the price limit?

dont really have one... space is a premium. I was also thinking of a decent acoustic electric, although I'm not enamored with the thought of picking up another amp. I bet the Fender tube amp would be servicable though...

I have a slide.. but I never really use it. For some reason going to open tuning annoys me to no end. Mines glass... the wife accused me of leaving weed accessories around the house. I had to show her you put it on your finger and play guitar before she believed me
he of tranquil mind