I'm looking to buy a cabinet and I was wondering what the difference between an angled cab and a straight cab is? How does it affect the sound etc.

Also, the same question for open back and closed back?

Thanks
Well, angled vs. straight is a pretty small difference in sound. The main thing is that the angled cab's top two speakers will be directed a bit upwards. It'll have slightly different dimensions, and it'll be aiming more at the ears.

Open vs. closed back is more important imo. Open back will sound more roomy, which works great for cleans and rock. Closed back however will sound tighter and more defined, which is what you need for more note seperation and tighter palm mutes, as in metal.
WTLTL 2011
Sounds like a closed back angled is what I should be looking for! Cheers
slant cab anyday, with the exception of orange 412s, slant always looks better IMO and the slant actually does help alot when playing shows etc.
Quote by AJScott
I'm looking to buy a cabinet and I was wondering what the difference between an angled cab and a straight cab is? How does it affect the sound etc.

seems like this one is already covered. angled has a little less internal dead air space, and it helps spread out the sound projection.

Quote by AJScott
Also, the same question for open back and closed back?

Thanks

this is a deceptively complicated question, but i will restrain myself and just say:

open back will project sound out the front and back of the cab, if you position the cab in the correct location in the room (about 3 to 6ft/1 to 2m from the wall) this can result in a really loud and spread out sound. open back cabs also let the speaker move freely back and forth, this usually means you run less efficient speakers (like ones with smaller magnets) cuz of... complicated things. an open back also has a limited baffle, which really effects low end (you get less low end response).

closed back projects all the speakers output through the front of the cab, can have a 'beamy' sound. you also get this complicated interplay of with the speaker and the cab because of the sealed cabinet and the compression and expansion of the air volume inside of the cab as the speaker(s) back and forth. you usually run speakers with more efficiency and bigger magnets, part of the reason has to do with the last sentence. closed back cabs have an 'infinite baffle' (some people hate that term, it's misleading), meaning you get more low end projected from the speaker.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 9, 2011,