hey, im new here! Any of you lot use ear plugs when your playing?? Ive noticed the ringing in my ears gets pretty extreme (and scary) after jamming in a small rehersal room. Dont no if im just being paranoid about it or if its time to start being a bit more carefull with my hearing. After all, music is my life, i need good ears haha! Any of you suffer from this??
also, if any of you use ear plugs, do they work? can you still hear the music properly? thanks
I always use ear protection when jamming, not so when practising alone. If you experience ringing you should definitely use ear plugs or something.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Get yourself some good £20 ones - I'm pretty sure pharmacies / drug stores do them they do over here in the UK.

As for hearing music, yeah they really help. Depending on how good the ones you buy are, they cut out the really damaging frequencies (really high top end around 18 - 20k which causes the ringing and hearing loss) You can still hear properly with them at, I wear mine at all the concerts, rehearsals etc I attend and personally I think I can hear stuff better, as it's not as loud and 'washy'.

If you're a professional who attends lot's of loud gigs and plays at loud volumes a lot of the time then I would recommend some professional molded ones as they will give you the right protection and you will even be able to hear the mix better in live situations.

Bottom line. Wear Earplugs when it's very loud - I've got relatively minor tinnitus and you certainly don't want it to get worse !
I have tinnitus, partially due to ear infections, yet also due to stupidity while being in and around drums, it sucks I know, but you will eventually get used to it, I'm lucky in that I don't always hear it, but only when it's very quiet.

When jamming in a small room with the drums going and everything, you should definitely use ear protection, it can get extremely loud in a small studio. When practicing though I doubt the levels get anywhere near loud enough to damage your hearing unless you play for like 3 hours non-stop at a loud volume (which you don't need to anyways). When going to concerts as well depending on the venue the volume gets very loud, easily enough to damage your ears.

I bought some high quality earphones (kind of look like christmas trees) and all they do is quiet the noise by about 20dB while keeping the music sound the same - you may want to invest in some of those and wear those whenever you are around loud music.

The ringing may go away over time now, but eventually the ringing will never go away and you will realize how stupid you were about your hearing - don't make the same mistake many people do in neglecting their ears. When in doubt, use hearing protection.

EDIT: The ones Ezio suggested are perfect - exactly what I was talking about.
[Insert something clever here]
Last edited by 13Kelly13 at Aug 9, 2011,
thanks for the help guys. Orderd some straight away! The ringing has pretty much faded away now, its practicly unnoticeable. Ive always had it after gigs n what not but it never used to bother me. Just randomly freaked me out a little today! Am i totaly safe from it if i use the plugs?
Quote by RichieCrozier
hey, im new here! Any of you lot use ear plugs when your playing??
Of course, since I've been gigging a lot with my jazz band I took the extra step of getting custom molded earplugs.

Sure it cost me 200$ but they fit perfectly.
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.html
A pair of these will probably work fine for you tho.
Quote by RichieCrozier
thanks for the help guys. Orderd some straight away! The ringing has pretty much faded away now, its practicly unnoticeable. Ive always had it after gigs n what not but it never used to bother me. Just randomly freaked me out a little today! Am i totaly safe from it if i use the plugs?

For all intents and purposes I'd say yeah you should be. You shouldn't have a problem unless your making enough noise for very large gigs.

But just pay attention to your ears, if they don't feel any discomfort you should be fine.
i have it in patches,ringing sound goes away if i ignore it,def look after your ears,only prob with earplugs is it reduced sound down too much,so i tend not to use them anyways.
yea, i was feeling discomfort today whilst trying out with a new band (why do metal bands feel the need to play STUPIDLY loud!). The sound was kinda breaking up/muffeld. Ended up cutting the jam short, bad crack man!
Quote by RichieCrozier
hey, im new here! Any of you lot use ear plugs when your playing?? Ive noticed the ringing in my ears gets pretty extreme (and scary) after jamming in a small rehersal room. Dont no if im just being paranoid about it or if its time to start being a bit more carefull with my hearing. After all, music is my life, i need good ears haha! Any of you suffer from this??

i use ear plugs all the time. i use them when i go to shows too and sometimes to clubs (i dont go to clubs often though). some people laugh but i dont care. im very paranoid about hearing loss. i know some has already happened. my right ear is slightly worse than my left. i dont have too much ringing. everyone has a bit to a degree. but i dont want it to be where it takes over.

anyways, im still looking into getting really good ear plugs. the molded ones. right now i just use these foam ones that someone gave me. he got them from work. they work alright but you do lose some high end in the mix and it can make certain things harder to hear. it can also make the bass too boomy. you are supposed to lift your ear to get them deep but i dont and i find it helps with that a bit.

honestly though a good solution is tissue paper or toilet paper. if you have nothing just bunch some up to go in your ear and it should help. i played a pretty loud gig with that and it worked great. and you dont get the boomy bass and it makes cymbol crashes and snare hits not as hard on the ears.